What's new

DARK SHADOWS 1991..to be cropped? (1 Viewer)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
All specs for MGM's DVD release of the 1991 "Dark Shadows" series show the release as anamorphic widescreen..?

I really hope this is a mistake in the listing, as I have been told that the series was *not* shot 16X9 safe.

Hopefully not another "Kung FU" Season 1 fiasco. I don't want to see Barnabas' head cut off!

Please MGM.....4X3 transfers as intended for this series!

On a side note....word is these are the versions as aired by NBC and not the "extended" versions as released on VHS by MPI. This is too bad, as the pilot had nearly 15 minutes of footage added for the VHS release.

The second and third episodes were combined into the second half of a "mini-series"; but were released as seperate episodes (the original intent) on VHS.

A couple of other episodes were also slightly extended but just in a very brief way.

Too bad MGM didn't check into this before going forward, but since I've got the extended stuff on the MPI pre-record I can live with the NBC versions as long as they aren't cut further.

But cropped to fake widescreen? Please, say it ain't so!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I won't worry about it till it's confirmed, but if it IS confirmed, then this is off my list. (Due to both the framing and the non-extended eps.)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yep. If these are the NBC broadcast episodes, then I may have to pass on this and wait for an MPI release of the show on DVD. I believe MPI has said they want to release this when they are done with the original series.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

I doubt they'll have the opportunity to release it since MGM obviously owns the rights (since they announced a release).

Gord

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Hey Gord, any news on extras for this release? The Behind the Scenes show would be gravy.

The one reason I put off buying the VHS releases is I figured that when the show made its debut on DVD it would be extended. I wish we could get confirmation on whether this release is 4x3/wide and extended/broadcast.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Since this isn't an MPI release, this may not appear on the set. The Behind The Scenes show was produced by MPI not MGM.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I wish MPI still had the rights to the 1991 version. If they did, we could be *sure* we would get the original ratio version.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I've spoken to MGM regarding this issue. They're looking into it and hope to have an answer for me next week (Tuesday-Wed).

Gord

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Thanks Gord! I'm a huge fan of Dark Shadows and while I will buy the set regardless, I'd prefer the versions MPI released. There were a couple of things in each of the extended shows that tied a few tiny things together better. Either way, I still have my VHS copies that I bought in 92. They've only been watched once so I'm sure when I get a recordable DVD player I'll make copies. Thanks again for looking into this for us.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Nope, not yet. I'm giving them a bit more time because the people who started the project aren't even at the company anymore, so it's taking a lot longer to get an answers.

I asked them to consider cancelling the release if it turned out to be widescreen, then take the time to do the set properly.

Gord

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think this is just a case of a mistake in the press release (or wherever the info came from). It would be much easier to release it 4 x 3 than going to the effort of creating a 16 x 9 transfer. I can't imagine that this release is going to be that financially worthwhile for MGM to spend the money on creating a (fake) widescreen version of it when they could just release the proper 4 x 3 version and save money too.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
It's been confirmed that the set is "anamorphic widescreen", so this is a definite no sale for me.

If MPI still had the rights, we'd have had proper 4:3 versions, but we'd probably have to wait years for them. With MGM, we get it now, but in the wrong aspect ratio and with no extras.

We can't win! Guess I'll have to keep my off-air NBC tapes awhile longer, or wait for people to start dumping the VHS sets on eBay really cheap (though I don't like the idea of one episode per tape).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's pretty dumb. When dealing with a cult title like Dark Shadows, it seems like a pretty bad idea to do something that's gonna piss off a majority of the people buying the set. I would think that with a title as small as this, you would want to cater to the fans since they're gonna be (nearly) the only people buying it.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
wouldn't it be prudent to wait and see exactly what comes out before bashing (I agree given the odds.. but...).

Suppose this does come out and isn't cropped but with extra material on the sides... then what?

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

But that suggests that the show was filmed in a manner what would translate. Do we know what aspect ratio the show was shot in? *crosses fingers* We can only hope that if it is widescreen friendly that we won't end up with things in shot ala Buffy.

Either way, I'll be buying. Bottom line: this is most likely the only release of the show we will get on DVD and my original broadcast recordings are wearing thin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks