Dark Shadows (1990) ???

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Trevor H, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

My fiance' and I both loved this show but you can't even get it on VHS so is there any hope of this ever coming to DVD?

2. ScottDombrowski

ScottDombrowski Second Unit

Scott
    MPI Home Video is releasing the entire original Dark Shadows on DVD, so I have a feeling they'll release the 1990 version too, maybe after they've released the original. They have released it on videotape in the past. It may still be available in that format from MPI.

3. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

www.mpihomevideo.com has the entire series available on videotape (some episodes have restored footage not shown on NBC). I was told by MPI that they plan to release DS90 after they finish releasing the original.

4. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

Thanks for the link but I think I'll wait for the DVD's before I spend $120 for 12 VHS tapes. [​IMG]

5. Robyn

Robyn Stunt Coordinator

About a year ago I bought the Dark Shadows series (starring Ben Cross) on VHS from an internet site. If I remember correctly, each video was $9.99. If it's coming out on DVD in the future, just wait. I'm sure there will be some cool extras on it.

6. Rob Dwyer

Rob Dwyer Stunt Coordinator

I used to love this show!

I can barely remember it tho, since I haven't seen it since it first aired, but does anyone remember if...

When the woman returned to the present and they ended on the closeup of her staring at Barnabus

was where the series ended? I believe it only had a single season, but did I miss a finale or anything?

7. David Williams

Unforunately it did end on a cliffhanger as you described... a hook to get the viewer to come back in the fall. The unfortunate bit being that there (obviously) was no second season, but at least NBC did the honorable thing and aired all 13 hours. That wouldn't happen today. [​IMG]

8. HowardPaul

HowardPaul Stunt Coordinator

Hmmmm.....are the Ebay offerings of the show on DVD fakes?
    One guy is offering Seasons 1-11.
    Howard

9. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

From theDark Shadows Journal:

Which could mean they're gearing up for a forthcoming DVD release, or they've lost the rights to the revival series.

10. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

The original series (1966-71) is being released on DVD already. These sets are likely what you saw on eBay. About 12 sets of 40 shows are already out. These aren't seasons but simply 40 consecutive shows as this was a daily soap. Each set contains 2 months worth of shows.

The 1991 series is still planned for release after all 1225 episodes of the original are on the market.

I'd love to see the failed 2004 WB pilot released too!

Fans of the original will want to check out a new CD release called DARK SHADOWS: RETURN TO COLLINWOOD. It's an all new 2 hour radio drama sequel to the series, featuring the original cast in a story taking place in Collinwood 2004. You can get it from MPI now, and probably in stores later.

11. David Williams

12 x 40 = 480... We could be here for awhile. I'm glad that they have release plans for DS91, but it'd be nice if they could squeeze this one in right now since it's only 13 episodes.

12. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Yeah, exactly. It took MPI over five years to release the original series on VHS (at 20 episodes per month). There's no good reason they can't go ahead and give us the revival, unless they're trying to sucker people into buying the single-episode VHS tapes and then re-buying on DVD.

I'll just have to hang onto my off-air NBC recordings awhile longer.

13. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Original Series Set 15 is already up for pre-order (at least in the trade magazines) so that brings us to the half way point.

(1225 [email protected] 40 in a set = 30.6 sets)

Keep in mind the first set begins with show #210, the first Barnabas episode. If they follow the same pattern they did with the VHS releases, MPI will release the "pre-Barnabas" shows after they come to the end of the series.

14. David Williams

Dark Shadows 1991 is finally coming to DVD!!! TVShowsonDVD posted the story last night, with more info to come when Sony/MGM announces the release this next week.

The two big burning questions:

Will this set have the extended version of some of the episodes like the VHS releases?
    Will the set contain the Dark Shadows Resurrected behind the scenes special as an extra?

15. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Maybe this release will finally get the guys at Warners to start work on restoring Night of Dark Shadows and prepping it and House of Dark Shadows for a DVD release ASAP!!!!