Dark Crystal Super Bit...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaViD Boulet, Feb 19, 2003.

1. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Review up at:

http://dvdreview.com/quickpeek/collect/800.shtml

They had reviewed the previous version as well, and indicate the both picture and sound on the new disc is appreciably improved (5.1 DTS...Ahhhhh).

Good news...hopefully same will go for Labyrinth which only had 2.0 DD sound on the current DVD version.

Any other reviews out there?

dave [​IMG]

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Ach, good and bad news. Good news about the transfer! Bad news in regards to my pocketbook. [​IMG]

3. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

Damn them! Ugh! Now I have to rebuy this title again!! *sigh*

4. Bruce F

Bruce F Agent

Well, it is a worthwhile repurchase, in my opinion. I remember seeing this movie when it was first released, and was quite disappointed with the first transfer. This re-release makes me quite happy! Can't wait to get it in my grubby little hands.

Bruce

5. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

All transfers Ive seen of this since the Henson-approved Image WS SE Laserdisc of '90 have been very clean, but WAY too bright. That edition noted how Henson helped supervise the transfer, and wanted it very dark, not only to keep with the mood of the story, but to make it look just a bit less like a 'kiddie' movie with bright colors, a world under the control of evil, etc...

Writing to the various principals produced no action or confirmation of Hensons wishes...(A remastered LD came out thru Disney in-'95(?)) so this will be DCs 4th WS incarnation

Still, this is one of my favorites, and if it is that much improved, I guess an upgrade is in order. I especailly adore the music score from Trevor Jones...

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I watched the first DVD on a 100" screen via a sony 10 HT LCD projector and was greeted with what looked to me to be a very satisfyingly "film like" image...natural, good detail, smooth and "silky" in appearance.

If the new DVD improves detail and definition beyond the original...*and* gives me 5.1 DTS...all I can say is THANK YOU SONY!

Next we'll all be buying it *again* on their blue-ray HD-DVD discs!!!

dave [​IMG]