Dark City on Superbits-DTS track would be nice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Anderson, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    Dark City continues to be one of my favorite demo/ref discs and I find myself watching this very often. A DTS track would be really great but it is hard to improve on the picture and sound that exists. The use of ambient surround effects is so good on this disc.
    ------------------

2. Christopher a

Christopher a Stunt Coordinator

Matthew, I find this unlikely as Dark City is a New Line title and Superbits is a Columbia Tristar exclusive at this point. Yet, a special edition or an Infifilm release would always be possible I suppose.
    Chris

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Dark City was certainly a very good disc at the time it was released. That said, the mastering techniques have matured in the last few years. I would put up the money to repurchase this movie (which I love) if they gave it any sort of SE edition. I'd love New Line to treat it like Se7en, a 2 disc set with the movie (ala Superbits) on one disc with DTS and the extras on another disc.

4. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

Ditto on "Dark City". Great Sci Fi flick. Now back to the superbit question, are any more companies even thinking of producing DVD's in this less compression format? I have not heard a peep. This would be a great way to package future SE DVD's, with a double disk set one having a superbit type DVD and the other DVD with the extras. Dark City in this form would by a sure repurchase for me.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection Home Theater Pics
    Ozzie

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Superbits is like any old DVD, they just only have the movie
    The format is no different, and whether or not it's just a gimmick remains to be resolved. My current opinion: Gimmick!
    Jeff Kleist

6. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

For those with R2 PAL capability, TF1's French "Edition Prestige" release of "Dark City" has English DTS sound.
    However, with four soundtracks (two of which are DTS) and extras all squeezed onto the same disc, one has to wonder about the image quality (a bitrate of 7.5 is quoted by dvdfr.com). Perhaps readers who own this disc can comment...

7. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

"Superbits is like any old DVD"
    Yeah Right. If everybody listened to DVD's using tandy speakers and looked at it on a hand held casio LCD's they would be the same. These new DTS superbit DVD's raise the bar in sound easily IMHO.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection Home Theater Pics
    Ozzie