Dark Blue World - I've finally seen it...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miles, May 29, 2002.

1. Miles

Miles Second Unit

I picked up a copy of this yesterday and must say I was really impressed. The video and audio quality were very good. Some really great dog-fight footage.

I'm curious if anyone else has seen this, as I posted several times in the "Movie" forum when DBW was out theatrically (sp?) and go no replies.

Later,

Miles

2. PeteD

PeteD Stunt Coordinator

Man, thank you!

I've been trying to see this film for over two years. I tried to get tickets to it at the Toronto Film Fest but I lost the lotto.

A year before, a friend of mine showed me the trailer and I had to see this film.

As soon as I read your post I sneaked out of work just now and picked it up.

I'll let you know what I think!

P.

3. PeteD

PeteD Stunt Coordinator

BTW, did you watch it with the Czech language track or the English?
    If you listened to the Czech track, how do they handle the England location? Is it in English?

Curious, Oh I can't wait to see this!

P

4. MaxY

MaxY Guest

I just picked this title up yesterday, site unseen. I have not watched it yet, but I am glad to hear that it is a good movie. I just kind of had a feeling it would be.
    I allways look for cool hidden gems in the DVD Aisles. [​IMG]
    Max

5. Miles

Miles Second Unit

The trailer is probably a good guage of the movie content... about 1/3 love story, 1/3 friendship, 1/3 war. A good mix. I noticed there was a review at http://www.dvdfile.com/ as well.
    PeteD,
    There is quite a bit of diaglogue in English but it seemed only when the characters were practicing English or around English characters...
    Later,
    Miles

6. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

"I'm curious if anyone else has seen this, as I posted several times in the "Movie" forum when DBW was out theatrically (sp?) and go no replies."

Depends on when you posted that, but it played in Vancouver back in April and I saw it then (I even caught a little bit of it at my local repetory theater just last week). Despite some flaws with the love story, this is indeed a solid war film from Jan Sverak, and I'm glad to hear it is presented well on DVD.

Jason

7. NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards Stunt Coordinator

This is a great film. I got it over the weekend and popped it in immediately (well, right after Harry Potter).

I was alerted to the film from the AFI newsletter. It was featured in their festival last year.

The quality is excellent. The Czechs speak Czech, the English speak English, the Germans speak German and the French speak French. The subtitles are English.

The transfer is excellent and the commentary is interesting.

There was a lot of attention to detail. Never before have I seen the shell casings come out of the guns in aeral battles.

Dark Blue World is definitely one to own.

8. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Well Like I said before I picked this one up on a whim and boy am I glad I did. It just looked interesting and it was.

It is a great war movie. It is also the story of a friendship that was beyond limits.

Excellent photography and great transfer.

Also a note for those who fear sub titles (I don't) these one are very easy to keep up with. Most sub-title movies I watch are Asian and boy sometimes you just gotta be a speed reader with those. These ones are a nice slow easy pace and do not distract from the excellent visuals.

Very Worth a Rent and I think if you like WWII movies it should be a buy.

Max