Dark Blue World - AWESOME DVD!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve O, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Steve O

Steve O Stunt Coordinator

I'm quickly realizing that there are some unbelievably good foreign films out there (I own about a half-dozen now). My wife and I rented Dark Blue World from Blockbuster this weekend. It is one of the best epic war movies that I've ever seen and a very fine DVD release. The cinematography was amazing and the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix was stunning. I felt as if there really were Spitfires and BF-109s flying through my living room!
    In case you haven't heard of it, Dark Blue World is about Czech fighter pilots who fought for the RAF during World War II. In addition to an amazing history lesson, it was one of the best war screenplays I've ever seen and was wonderfully acted and directed. Most of the movie is in Czech with English subtitles. It has the best aerial combat scenes in any film, ever. You'd think that you were seeing very high-quality historical film of the real thing.
    Even though I just saw it a couple of days ago, I'm gonna buy this DVD tonight and watch it again. Hey Ron -- if you haven't seen it yet, may I suggest a review! You won't be disappointed!!! I think that this qualifies as the sleeper hit of 2001. It has my unqualified recommendation.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    [​IMG] I already bought it. Muy excellente!

3. MaxY

MaxY Guest

There was allready a thread about this great DVD, but the pity was there were only about 4 or 5 people that had anyting to say on it.

Yes the movie was great and the DVD is very good as well.

Max

4. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I just saw it last night (after four games of World Cup soccer). It is a really nice movie and I loved it! Not to be missed.

One thing I liked is that all characters spoke the language they supposed to speak, i.e. Czech, German, English etc. Too many americanmovies just have bad English instead or intended language.

5. Steve O

Steve O Stunt Coordinator

rbirk -

I agree wholeheartedly! Hearing everything in the correct language sure does make the experience so much more fulfilling.

This is the first movie in a long, long time that I really felt connected to the characters. It makes me want to see more from this director and these actors. Any recommendations?

DARK BLUE WORLD --
    Directed by .... Jan Sverák
    Main characters:
    Ondrej Vetchý .... as Frantisek Sláma
    Krystof Hádek .... as Karel Vojtisek
    Tara Fitzgerald .... as Susan