What's new

Dark bars on Wega (1 Viewer)

Johnny C

Auditioning
Okay...So I bring home my new Wega 32FS16 only to find that there are some barely visible dark vertical bars on the left hand side of the screen (like most of these problems, almost unnoticeable until they're seen, then you just can't take your eyes off of them). There are a couple of them, running from top to bottom, one is about 1/4 inch and the other 3/4 inch wide, a couple of inches in from the left. They're visible using all devices...cable, dvd, and vcr.
An exchange isn't a problem, but with the number of wega picture problems I've seen posted here, I'm concerned I could get an even worse replacement. Other than this problem, I am very pleased with the picture.
What exactly is causing this, is there any way to fix it, or should I just go ahead and exchange the thing?
cheers
John Carta

RichMiller

Grip
John:
I have the *exact* same dark-bar problem with my 36FS12 (as well as a geometry issue or two), and am opting to demand an exchange this coming week. I'm in the same boat regarding pessimism for new units, too. For me it's come down to the realization that if I have to live with this unit's limitations for the three to five years I plan to wait until going HDTV, I'm gonna go nuts, considering what Wegas cost.
Seems either Sony QC is pretty lax or the design of the sets is prone to these fabrication problems. From what I understand the best option is to go for replacement units until you get one you like, or just return the thing for a different brand altogether.
I'd hate to eventually go with a non-Wega set, because now that I've got red push disabled and everything AVIA calibrated, except for the problems listed above the picture is the best I've seen on a direct-view unit. Losing the ability to do anamorphic 'squeeze' through a simple menu would suck too.
-Rich
------------------
Technophilia is like hemophilia...
In both cases bleeding oneself dry is a danger.

Johnny C

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply Rich.
Yeah, same as yourself, I'm opting to just get them to bring a new one by next week, and will continue to do so until I receive one that gets it right.
This time, I will do what I should have done in the first place and test it thoroughly before the delivery guys leave. At least I won't get stuck with one that's actually worse....
cheers
John Carta

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks