What's new

Dark areas appearing red-like? (1 Viewer)

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
I just got finished watching Mulholland Dr. and my black seems to be a little off. I thought I calibrated this to its correct level in AVIA/VE and still it seems red-like. Did anyone else notice this? It's kind of annoying but to this day this is the only movie where I notice this.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

This is a grayscale issue and you need professional instrumentation to properly fix it. Or you can eyeball it out of there.

Regards

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Michael is right.

Use Avia's grayscale patterns to verify that it is indeed the grayscale. You'll need to know how to get around your tv's service menu to fix the problem most likely. The proper fix to use instrumentation to dial-in the grayscale to D6500K but one can also use the eyeball technique. I did and it will help when there are gross problems such as your eyes see too much green or red in black/dark scenes. For me , it took multiple tries and multiple trips into the service menu. The funny thing about eyes, like ears and other sensory organs, is that when paired with the brain, they tell us how something looks, sounds, smells relative to other looks, sounds, smells, etc. You will find that when you first try to dial out the red, you'll overshoot and end up with an overly green or blue grayscale but your eyes won't tell you this. All they will tell you is that the red is gone. It's best to go back later and look at it in a neutral manner. This is why instrumentation is the ideal method and what an ISF tech would use.

good luck,

--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks