What's new

Dark and grainy PT47wx49 (1 Viewer)

Rick Pay

Stunt Coordinator
I get a real grainy picture during any dark scenes especially when watching dvd's. I still don't have a progressive scan dvd player (waiting for the RP82), could this be the main culprit? Had the Panny for 3 weeks, disabled SVM, E-Focus, and all the user settings. Getting Avia dvd tomorrow and am using the component interconnects. Anything else to improve my poor quality dvd watching?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Progressive will fix it, also a good surge protector will help. I noticed lots of grain and artifacts on my panny for a while, but after tweaking it was minimal. After getting a Monster clean power strip the graininess almost never shows up. Only shows really when the ac first cuts on or something big in the apartment is turned on. Just a slight hint of noise.

Also...how do you disable the efocus? I did the SVM and Red Push tweaks, and AVIA.

Again about the progressive player, I have a JVC 75GD (Pro scan and DVD-A!) which has the scaling function, which is important on the PT47 since it locks into full mode when getting a progressive signal. The difference between interlaced and progressive is staggering. If getting a progressive player for this set, either get a JVC or Panny RP91, since they both have the scaling function.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation154
Recent bookmarks