DARIA: Is it College Yet? Regarding edited version

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan Benard, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Alan Benard

Alan Benard Extra

Dear Mr. Blythe and others at Paramount and Viacom:
    The fansite DVDaria -- which has helped gather more than 4,900 signatures in support of an uncut, complete DVD relase of the program Daria -- currently carries my thoughts about the latest DVD, the movie "Is it College Yet?", which went on sale yesterday.
    During the 24 hour period DVDaria started promoting the Amazon pre-order of DVDaria -- when it first became available, 88 days ago -- the relative Amazon ranking for the product jumped more than 3,500 places.
    Fans care a lot about Daria, and we help them find the new DVDs. We don't want a cookie or anything -- this is just to say that there is demand for Daria, and we're reaching folks.
    You may or may not know that the current DVD relase of IICY? is edited, and differs from the premiere version, broadcast on MTV on Jan. 21, 2002. Fans don't understand why it has been edited.
    People at Viacom we've talked to either didn't know or understand that MTV created two versions of this program, and insisted that the uncut version appears on the DVD.
    It does not -- every fan who has obtained a copy of the DVD reports multiple cuts from the premiere version. Why?
    Fans are especially concerned -- given that the version of Daria currently syndicated on The N is heavily edited -- that future DVD releases will use these new masters. We sincerely hope this won't be the case.
    Please take a look at http://the-wildone.com/dvdaria/010.html. It is a non-commercial site. It only exists to support the DVD release of Daria. This commentary is my opinion alone -- but does represent the feelings of many in Daria's hardcore fandom.
    I encourage everyone involved in creating Daria product to ensure that the uncut, orginal broadcast masters -- less licensed music, of course -- are used in future DVD releases.
    Thanks for your attention.
    Alan Benard
    DVDaria

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The product may have Paramount on the cover but all they do is distribute it to stores.

MTV Home Video is responsible for putting together the DVD.

3. Alan Benard

Alan Benard Extra

>The product may have Paramount on the cover but all they do is distribute it to stores.

>MTV Home Video is responsible for putting together the DVD.

rutger:

If this is true, then I hope that Paramount's marketing department will encourage MTV to provide them with the most desireable video master.

Alan Benard

4. Alan Benard

Alan Benard Extra

Dear Paramount and others interested in Daria DVDs:

If you look at junglescan.com -- the free, non-ad-based service that allows tracking of Amazon.com rankings for any product they offer -- you'll see something interesting.

The sales for both the "Is it Fall Yet?" AND "Is it College Yet?" DVDs have crashed. The both were running in the hundreds -- on 9/1, they dipped below 5,000, and are now at about 1,500.

In fact, "IIFY?", which has been out since January, has a HIGHER ranking than "IICY?", which was released Aug. 27.

Please, please, please let MTV know that the fans are not ignorant. They want UNCUT Daria DVDs. They have been paying for them -- up until now.

They will pay for them if they are done properly.

You may use my public username and pass at junglescan.com to check the current numbers: User=Quinn1, Pass=blushathon.

[Moderators -- if you edit this post because you believe I'm promoting a commercial business, first, I am not. Second, please leave the part of the message pertaining to sales figures intact. Thanks.]

Yours,

Alan Benard
    DVDaria

5. Kara Wild

Kara Wild Auditioning

My website, www.the-wildone.com, provides the space for DVDaria to exist without pop-up ads or flaky servers. So naturally that means I have great interest in the success of "Daria" on DVD and in syndication.
    Even though I have a video copy of "Is It College Yet?" that was taped from MTV's master copy, it was all but a given that I would buy the movie on DVD. I love DVDs; they're easier to navigate, provide more features, and make the visuals look sharper. Plus I'm gunning for every season of "Daria" to be shown on DVD, so more sales means a greater likelihood.
    But once I heard that the "Is It College Yet?" on DVD was EDITED, I put my wallet aside. I don't want to reward Viacom's carelessness. Otherwise, if they actually do put "Daria" seasons on DVD, what is to stop them from using the Noggin-censored versions without a second thought?
    At the same time, I'm concerned that if I don't support the IICY? DVD through my pocketbook, the plans for more DVDs will be scrapped indefinitely.
    So please, those who can, help us. Admit your mistake and release a second round of "Is It College Yet?" DVDs that is unedited. Show us that you are serious, and we will show you that we are serious about handing you our money.

6. James Bowman

James Bowman Auditioning

To all interested parties:

I, too, add my voice to those concerned about the release of "Daria : Is It College Yet?" on DVD.

Quite a few Daria fans were looking forward to the release, and were not only willing to spend money to have a DVD quality version of the episode, but were also hoping that either MTV or Paramount would be releasing Daria episodes on DVD. I don't know how much a boxed set of Daria episodes on DVD would cost (there are 65 episodes and two movie length episodes), but I was willing to pay all that traffic would reasonably bear.

The news I've received from other fans has been disheartening. From what I understand, "Is It College Yet?" has been copied from an edited-for-time version at MTV rather than from the original first-run copy. The cuts are minor, extraneous scenes that don't detract too much from the plot, yet I'm sure that most of you reading this would howl just as loudly if someone removed a few "unnecessary" scenes from your favorite movie. To a fan, who decides what is unnecessary.

So fans are trapped in a bind -- support the release of DVDs with our wallets and receive "cut" episodes, or refuse to buy the episodes and have MTV decide not to release further "Daria" eps on DVD, on the grounds that they don't sell well.

I add my voice to those who have posted here. I don't need extra episodes, flip books, cover art, extras, rewards, or even the original music. But I would like to see the episodes as they were first aired, without cuts.

Anyone reading who has any advice, any help in getting our message heard by those in charge would be greatly appreciated. I don't look forward to purchasing an edited copy, not at all.

7. Francois_F

Francois_F Auditioning

I pretty much feel like the others. I was very pleased with the "Is it Fall Yet?" DVD, probably even more so because it came out of nowhere.

I was really looking foward to the "Is It College Yet?" DVD which I've ordered on Amazon.com a few days ago but I've finally decided to cancel my order since I learned that the DVD is the cut version.

I'm really disappointed by this. I guess what makes it worse is that the cut version got on the DVD for no special reason at all. It's not even censored, it's just cut. For time. On DVD. There was simply NO valid reason not to include the uncut version except either a mistake in the version sent for print (poor quality control) or laziness because the uncut version might have been harder to obtain that the cut one. The missing scenes are not that important in themselves, but the fact that they are simply "missing" without cause is upsetting.

Anyway, I fear this might spell the end of Daria on DVD. Believe me, I'd be the first one to buy further Daria DVDs if done right, like season boxsets. By right, I mean having fully uncut episodes. I'd like to keep the background music, but I understand that copyright issues might prevent it from being possible. I'm not even looking for any extras at all (even though it would be great) except having the series the way it originaly aired on MTV.

Am I displeased with IICY on DVD? Yes, and I'm partly hoping that by not buying it and by writting MTV and/or Viacom with the reason why, they will get the message and maybe re-issue a corrected batch with the full version. Am I afraid that by not buying it, they might think that there is no market for further Daria DVDs? Yes.

Either way, we lose. Protest by not buying, they'll think: "there's simply no interest for more Daria", buy it anyway to encourage them, they'll say: "they'll buy anything, so let's just use the censored/cut Noggin version for the episodes and they won't care".

I only hope that Viacom/MTV clearly understands that there is a good reason that IICY might not sell well, and that by correcting it, they'd only assure themselves more money from us (assuming we Daria fans have any effect on global sales of Daria DVDs)

8. Roger E. Moore

Roger E. Moore Auditioning

"Daria" was one of the most popular cartoons ever produced, according to a recent "TV Guide" article. It was lively, witty, and intelligent, and it swept in adults as well as teenagers and young people. It was aimed at young women, but the characters captured everyone's attention. The show had a brain as well as a heart. If the series was released on DVD, unedited, it would be a great thing to see (and buy). Please consider the release of unedited material on DVD for this groundbreaking show.

9. Amy W

Amy W Auditioning

Add me to the list of concerned Daria fans as well. I was thrilled when I heard that "Is It College Yet?" would be coming out on DVD. The more Daria DVD we can get, the better. This also increased my hopes of one day being able to purchase an entire Daria boxset on DVD.

I bought "Is It Fall Yet?" when it came out on DVD, despite the fact that I didn't even have a DVD player. That's the kind of commitment that I and other Daria fans have to this. When done right, sales of these DVDs do very well. The demand for them is definitely out there.

However, notice that I said "when done *right*." In this context, "right" simply means a full, unedited version, like what was shown on MTV originally. I don't think that's asking too much. I, like others, decided that after hearing that "Is It College Yet?" was appearing on DVD with 8 minutes of footage cut for no reason, that I would not be buying this DVD. Period.

I realize that by not buying I might be sending the message that there's no market for Daria DVDs anymore. This is simply not true. But I'm also not going to pay good money to purchase an edited version, especially when we were told that it would *not* be edited and since there was no good reason for it to be cut in the first place.

If I went out and bought this DVD now, not only would I be buying something that I would, in all likelihood, never watch (because why would I watch the edited DVD when I can watch the uncut version on VHS), but I would also be sending the message that it's ok for these DVDs to be edited. This is not true either. It's not ok. And I don't want the people making these kinds of decisions to think that it is.

As I said before, there is a market for these DVDs and when done right, the DVDs sell like mad. But when done wrong, they don't. It's that simple. I hope this message gets heard and that the people in charge pay attention to what we're trying to say. It would be a shame if this edited version is the last we ever see of Daria on DVD. The show, and its fans, deserve better.

10. Warren C. Purdy

Warren C. Purdy Auditioning

Although I had heard rumors that the DVD release of the second Daria movie, "Is It College Yet?" had been edited, I ordered a copy anyway.

When the rumors were confirmed, even extensively documented, by people I trust, I didn't cancel my order. I wanted to see it with my own eyes, for myself, and over the past few days I've managed to (courtesy of a friend's DVD player -- I don't currently own one).

The cuts -- about eight minutes of them in all -- were made by MTV for repeat showings of the program. "Is It College Yet?" premiered commmercial-free, and edits were made so subsequent showings could have commercial breaks and still fit into the same-size time slot as the original.

Although I suppose it's possible the master of the uncut version of this movie was somehow lost or destroyed, the fact that the edited version was used for the DVD release smacks (to be blunt, I'll admit) more of laziness and inattention at the time it was put together...something that also appears to be reflected in other things about the DVD such as, to cite just one example, the poorly selected screencap used in the front-cover illustration on the package (how hard is it to get a cartoon character not to blink, *really*?).

All in all, I've found the DVD release of "Is It College Yet?" to be a disappointment, and I find it presents me with a dilemma described by other posters to this thread: if I buy any subsequent releases of Daria episodes on DVD, and they're as poorly put-together as this one is, I'd be sending the message that I consider needlessly inferior product acceptable -- something I'm afraid isn't true. If I refuse to buy any more of them in protest, I risk helping to send the (false) message that there's no market for DVD releases of this program.

This latter impression seems as if it might already be being given -- I'm informed that sales of IICY? have, only a few weeks after its release, dropped below current figures for the first Daria movie, "Is It Fall Yet?", which was released uncut (and, incidentally, with better-done packaging and extras) on DVD several months ago.

If so, this would be unfortunate. *I* would certainly buy Daria episodes on DVD, even if they didn't have the original soundtracks (which I understand cost extra money to secure the rights to), even if they offered little or nothing in the way of extras, *so long as the episodes themselves were uncut and retained the integrity of the original stories*. I believe this is true of many other Daria fans -- enough for substantial revenue to be made...or lost.

You see, I'm not going to waste any more of my money on what I consider substandard goods.

MTV Home Entertainment and Paramount haven't necessarily lost my business yet: I haven't sworn off buying future releases of Daria on DVD. I'm afraid I'm done being an early adopter, though. If there are any further releases, I plan to wait until others have purchased and reviewed them before I decide whether or not they're worth buying.

Whether there's any more money to be made from this Daria fan is up to those who produce the DVDs to decide.

And I suspect I'm not the only one.

11. Alan Benard

Alan Benard Extra

How has editing the "Is it College Yet?" DVD affected sales?

Courtesy of Junglescan.com, portfolio name = Quinn1, pass = blushathon

Amazon.com relative sales rankings for:

"Is it College Yet?" DVD:

8/26/2002 09:44 PM 1497
    8/27/2002 01:28 AM 906

12. Aapo Laitinen

Aapo Laitinen Auditioning

(First of all, sorry for my English.) The reason I'm writing is that I'd like to point out the two obstacles that are hindering the sales of IIFY and IICY DVDs in Europe:

* Region problems. Even though the current releases are Region Zero, they aren't labelled as such. This rules out most of the mainstream video stores in Europe.

* Format problems. Because of the NTSC format, only a small percentage of European television sets and DVD players can play the DVDs, making computers just about the only way of watching them. One possible solution: make the DVDs double-sided with both NTSC and PAL version on them.

If these two problems were addressed, the DVDs would appear on major European outlets. After all, they already carry Region Two MTV releases. They do this despite the fact that for example in Finland, MTV is almost invisible to ordinary people.

Nice sales of Futurama boxed sets have shown that even mainstream customers are willing to lay 75 euros (pretty close to $75, I suppose) for 13 episodes of their favorite show on DVD. And as for me, I'm ready to purchase Daria seasons 1-3 right away if they ever become available. Provided that my PAL, R2 Xbox can play them, of course.

Tired of 96K RealMedia, Aapo "Altern" Laitinen

13. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I will only buy Daria in complete UNEDITED seasons. I consider the two "movies" long episodes of the series.

Let me know when you release the box sets.

14. Lyman Green

Lyman Green Auditioning

I have to completely agree. Unfortunately, I hadn't been keeping close tabs on the 'net and wasn't aware either DVD was edited. I bought them both and would gladly buy more Daria, but what I REALLY want is Daria COMPLETE. By season and unedited. I don't need bells and whistles. All I really want is the original Daria in its entirety.

Lyman Green

15. Warren C. Purdy

Warren C. Purdy Auditioning

It occurs to me that one way Paramount, MTV Home Video, or whoever is/has been putting Daria video releases together might test the waters as to how, say, boxed sets of the seasons of the show's run might sell would be to release DVD versions of the episode collections (apart from the two movies) that have already been released on VHS tape.

Specifically, the first seven episodes of Season One have already been released on two NTSC-format VHS retail tapes, "Daria" and "Daria: Disenfranchised". In addition, there have been PAL-format retail tapes released for non-North American markets, five of them that I know of: "Daria: Best Friends", "Daria: Crushed", "Daria: Travels", "Daria: Sibling Rivalry" and "Daria: School Dysfunctions".

I don't know enough about the processes involved to be sure about this, but I suspect it would be relatively simple (e.g, anything like music from the soundtrack that might need to be changed would already have been changed) to release the contents of these seven VHS retail tapes in, say, region 0 DVD form, and see how well they sold before committing to remastering the soundtracks and/or whatever other changes would need to be made to transform entire seasons into retail video form.

I know I'd be willing to buy DVD-quality versions of the episodes mentioned above.