What's new

Daredevil Season 2 (Netflix) March 18, 2016 (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
the trailer for season 2 is supposed to drop sometime tomorrow bit there is a little teaser.

kind of hyped to see if its as good as the first season

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Looks great!

Interesting that this trailer is a "part one" with "part two" coming next Thursday.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
image.jpeg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The new trailer is excellent.

I especially liked the text on the screen, which give complete sentences, rather than drop one word at a time through the action, so you either have to read reeeeaallly slowly or you forget what it's supposed to say.

Isn't it better to have words in a trailer say something like "Next Week! He's Back!" rather than "Next..." (scene) "Week..." (scene) "He's..." (scene) "Back..) (Scene)? Every trailer for the last 20 years that I can think of does the latter, except this one.

In any case, looks like they're doing season 2 right.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
5 day left, and unlike AOS i dont think this is coming back with a quite episode to move the story along,

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm really looking forward to this.

Unfortunately, I'm having both Internet and display issues presently and my not be in a good position to watch for a few weeks.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the first episode, and yes, the Punisher appears. I plan to take my time with the episodes, watching them over 2 weeks or so. Glad it's back.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just finished the first episode. The good news is the technical quality of the production is right up there with the first season. It feels like the same world, and it feels lived in and real in a way that the lower-budgeted superhero shows like "Arrow" don't quite pull off. Our main trio of actors -- Charlie Cox, Deborah Ann Woll and Elden Henson -- slipped right back into their roles like no time had elapsed. The best scenes involve the three of them playing off each other.

The bad news is that the writing, while by no means groanworthy or anywhere close to "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." level stilted, feels just a bit staler and more pedestrian than the first season. It's just a little bit less adept at navigating the tonal shifts. And some of the story beats feel predictable in a way that the first season never did:
The season premiere opens with the patriarch of an Irish crime family giving a long-winded speech about how they're going to take Hell's Kitchen back in the aftermath of of Fisk's downfall. The speech is such an over-the-top exercise in overconfidence that it quickly becomes obvious that something terrible is about to befall them. The cuts to the guards outside being spooked by a sound before shrugging it off further drives the point home. So when a swath of bullets cuts nearly the entire room of criminals to shreds, it doesn't have the jarring impact it should have.

And later in the episode, when the Punisher makes his grand debut, Karen and one of Nelson/Murdock's clients outrun him through the hospital and down to her car, as he fires shotgun rounds at their back. Here is a character who singlehandedly took out two criminal enterprises with military-like precision, but when it comes to one of our protagonists, suddenly his aim goes to shit. It just felt like something the writers needed to happen, rather than something that was inevitable in the context of the story.

On the other hand, the episode ending beat -- the Punisher shooting Daredevil in the head -- really did catch me off guard. Definitely a great cliffhanger to carry me into the next episode.

Loved the return appearance of Turk, who's been reduced to selling crappy firearms out of his trunk.

Overall, it was a setup episode, so I'm not going to be too harsh on it. I'm definitely excited to see where this journey goes.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I enjoyed the first episode, and yes, the Punisher appears. I plan to take my time with the episodes, watching them over 2 weeks or so. Glad it's back.

Thanks, Sam. Glad to hear it (about the Punisher, and that you enjoyed it). Tonight's Grimm night for me, but I hope to start DD tomorrow. I am no binger at all, so I will probably also take a while to see the whole season.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have finished the first 4 episodes. So far I am liking it but there was something in episode 4 that confused me.
How did Karen get away from Castles house? The last time we saw her a van pulled up outside, then the next she is at the bar with the guys. Did I fall asleep?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I just finished the sixth episode, and I'm completely sucked in again. Most of my earlier reservations have been put to rest; why the writing isn't quite as polished as the first season, there's a whole lot to like here.

Frank Castle started hollow and two-dimensional, but the backstory that makes his character so compelling has slowly been layered in. I think Thomas Jane holds the screen better in the role, but Jon Bernthal's take on the character fits in a lot better with the tapestry of the world this series has created. One of my complaints from the first episode was addressed:
In the hospital, Castle wasn't shooting to kill; he was deliberately herding Karen and Grotto out of the hospital so he could get a clean shot on his target.

The real revelation, though, is Elodie Yung as Elektra Natchios. The whole show flares to life with a new and different energy from her first moment on screen. This Elektra highlights just how poorly cast and written the character was in the 20th Century Fox movies. There is something wonderfully (and appropriately) international about her here. We know she's the heiress to one of the great Greek shipping empires, now diversified into a vast number of business interests across the world, but her full ethnic background is hard to pin down. Likewise her accent, which is not American and not Greek but some amalgamation of all the countries and boarding schools she spent time in during her formative years. She is alluring, and infuriating, brilliant and flippant and savage. Everything about her character so far has been note perfect.

I have finished the first 4 episodes. So far I am liking it but there was something in episode 4 that confused me.
How did Karen get away from Castles house? The last time we saw her a van pulled up outside, then the next she is at the bar with the guys. Did I fall asleep?
It was a little unclear to me too, but:
my understanding is that she spotted the van with the men in black suits pull up and slipped out the side door she'd picked the lock of before they got to the house. The editing was problematic, but I think the intention of that scene was to further the idea that the killings of Castle's family is part of a larger conspiracy. I don't think we were supposed to think that Karen was in immediate danger.

Eleven months passed between Season 1 and Season 2. There have been a few Jessica Jones references which would seem to make it clear that that show's first season took place during the interim, but has there been any word exactly how the timelines of these various Netflix Marvel shows sync up with each other?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Just watched the second episode, and it sure seems like the season is off to a great start.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks