What's new

Daredevil Disney+ Series (2023) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Variety confirms what has been suspected for a while: A new Daredevil series is in the works for Disney+. This one will be written by Matt Corman and Chris Ord, and will star Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onofrio.

THR calls it “a new but continued series.”

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I declared Netflix MCU bankruptcy and never watched past DD S2. I hope this doesn’t rely on the accrued stories of the prior several dozen MCU shows.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My kids were too young for Daredevil and the other Netflix shows when they first aired, even though they've seen every Marvel movie. They've been watching Daredevil now, and they think it is just the coolest thing ever - which is not to say that their interest in the MCU was waning; it was not. But now they think the Marvel Universe is even cooler than they did before. Disney did a very smart thing by incorporating the Netflix shows into Disney+, because there are a lot of fans that were 7 or 8 when the shows originally came out who are now the right age for them. One of the kids asked me yesterday if Disney was doing another season of Daredevil and when I said yes, he immediately asked when. I think the Defenders shows really enhance the MCU, and as far as I am concerned, they're canon.

BTW, reports surfaced yesterday saying Daredevil will be in at least 3 episodes of Echo, which will also feature the Kingpin, who will be wearing an eyepatch. Rumors suggest Jessica Jones could play a part too.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Hollywood Reporter saying that Cox and D'Onofrio will be back for Echo, and mentioning the Jessica Jones connection.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The revival will be titled "Daredevil: Born Again". Here is the logo:
Daredevil: Born Again

The season will be 18 episodes long, triple the length of the other MCU hour-long shows, and the story will tie into Phase 5. The new run of episodes will debut Soring 2024.

Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onofrio are the only confirmed cast members at this time.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I’m all for longer seasons, but I’m really curious what the tone and format will be here with so many episodes.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I doubt all 18 will air weekly.
My bet is two 9 episode series with a long break between.

Interestingly the NF season three had some aspects of the Frank Miller arc called Born Again.

I wonder if the D+ Born Again will be closer to that the the NF show.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I think the Defenders shows really enhance the MCU, and as far as I am concerned, they're canon.

Good for you! And, no, I'm serious, not snarky. Too many people are too hung up on whether any of the Netflix (or ABC) shows are canon. I say, decide for yourself whether or not you want to consider them canon. There are points during these shows where they seem clearly intended to be canonical, other points in which they diverge from the films. I choose to embrace the former, and ignore the latter.

Hell, I even consider the Ang Lee Hulk film to be canonical. I think it's a perfectly reasonable origin story for the MCU Hulk.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I think this depends on how you are defining canon.

You can say the Tobey and Andrew Spider-Man movies (and the X-Men movies) are canon to the wider Marvel Cinematic Multiverse. Because that is what Feige has presented with No Way Home and Multiverse of Madness.

As for other movies or shows not produced by Marvel Studios I think they will keep what they want and ignore what they don’t. And the best way to explain that, which is consistent with the Multiverse theme, is to say that those iterations were from universes that are very similar in some ways and different in others. Some may think that is dismissing the other stuff as “not canon”, but that’s not the way I look at it now in the context of the MCM.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My definition of canon is pretty much down to "whatever I think is reasonable to be considered part & parcel of the overall franchise". Which means I tend not to worry if anyone else does or doesn't feel the same way.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I need to start watching the Netflix series someday.
I wonder how much longer we'll all be referring to Daredevil and its kin as "Netflix shows" given that its been a few years since the divorce. :D

Anyway, yes, you should watch it. As well as Jessica Jones (my favorite of the bunch), Luke Cage, and The Punisher. Iron Fist and The Defenders only if necessary.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I need to start watching the Netflix series someday.
I’ve been watching them again (on D+) with my kids, who were too young the first time. They love them. We’re on season 2 of Daredevil, but they have the rest of the shows mapped out.

I say do not skip The Defenders and Iron Fist, they’re as worthwhile as the others.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I say do not skip The Defenders and Iron Fist, they’re as worthwhile as the others.

Yeah, they do get pilloried more than they deserve, but I think they're definitely a few steps below the others. The Defenders is perhaps worth watching if for no other reason that it wraps up some of the storylines from, at the very least, Daredevil.

Personally, I think Cloak & Dagger is a better time than Iron Fist and The Defenders. I still haven't seen Runaways or Hellstrom yet.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Doing a quick search it appears the proper order of those shows is in order of release.
  1. Daredevil season 1 (April 10, 2015)
  2. Jessica Jones season 1 (November 20, 2015)
  3. Daredevil season 2 (March 18, 2016)
  4. Luke Cage season 1 (September 30, 2016)
  5. Iron Fist season 1 (March 17, 2017)
  6. The Defenders (August 18, 2017)
  7. The Punisher season 1 (November 17, 2017)
  8. Jessica Jones season 2 (March 8, 2018)
  9. Luke Cage season 2 (June 22, 2018)
  10. Iron Fist season 2 (September 7, 2018)
  11. Daredevil season 3 (October 19, 2018)
  12. The Punisher season 2 (January 18, 2019)
  13. Jessica Jones season 3 (June 14, 2019)
Would everyone agree with that release order is the best way?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Doing a quick search it appears the proper order of those shows is in order of release.

It's as reasonable as any, I suppose. I'd certainly say it might be advisable to watch the first six in that order, as things sort of work toward The Defenders, much in the same way that MCU Phase 1 works up toward The Avengers. There's not a lot of crossover among them after that to suggest an order for the rest. The Punisher is definitely on its own journey and largely has little to do with the others, despite Frank's introductory appearance in Daredevil S2.

I'm not a big fan of the Punisher character in general, but Jon Bernthal is compelling AF in the role.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Yup, broadcast order is probably the best, although if you were so inclined, there’s nothing wrong with watching the Punisher season 1 at any time after DD S 2.

I agree with Jay on the Punisher. Never liked the character … until I saw Bernthal do it. Now I can’t wait for him to come back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ybmsmoke107
Recent bookmarks