What's new

Daredevil 2-disc boxart and early review (MERGED) (1 Viewer)

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Earlier in this thread I said I was planning on waiting for the DC, but after seeing the director's comments at superherohype.com that although he was almost completely finished with the new cut there was still no firm release date, and after re-reading some raves for this disc online, I went ahead and bought it. I still think the movie rocks, and not only does the DVD content kick Spider-Man's ass, but this movie does too. Better action, better love story, and better villians. All from the director of Simon Birch.
Anyway, for those of you who don't know, there is a great easter egg on Disc 2. Go to Film, Hell's Kitchen: Making Daredevil page. Go down to the bottom and highlight Access Extended Branching Mode, press left, and then left again. This will highlight two crossed sai weapons. Press enter to see about 8 minutes worth of great outtakes. They've got action outtakes, Jon Favreau riffs, Colin Farrell schizophrenia, and my favorite one where Afflek spoofs a scene in the movie with Elektra.
(I would also like to point out that I got this tip from fellow HTF-er Tom Woodward's site, DVDanswers.com. The R4 Review had this listed but it works on R1 too.)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
What's up with the "branching" version? Isn't that a director's cut in some sense even on this release?

-dave

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I love the dts track on this disc! It's only been one listen, but at the moment this is my #2 favorite DVD sound mix. Thank you FOX for doing such a out of this world job.

Pieter

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
What's up with the "branching" version? Isn't that a director's cut in some sense even on this release?
It's just one of those "Follow the White Rabbit" features where you select an icon that pops up throughout the movie and are taken to a clip that dissects the special effects.

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
I decided pick it up yesterday based on the fact that the DC release date is in limbo and it cost me only $10. Really hard to go wrong there.

~Jason

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
My other thread got closed, so I want to bring this up here. I just got a laptop to play DVDs on, and I have found it to be a frustrating experience (for instance, cannot figure out how to access the 1138 Star Wars outtakes). Here's the thing, my laptop came with PowerDVD, but AOTC installed its own Interactual player. Fine. But when I put Daredevil in this morning, only DVD-ROM content would pop up, not the movie itself. I couldn't do anything at all with PowerDVD, but luckily the InterActual software ran the movie. Has anyone else had this kind of experience with Daredevil? Is it just running on InterActual because both are FOX movies? I would like to use one DVD-ROM software, not a multitude for different studio discs.
Advice on DVD-ROM software would be much appreciated from the experts.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Advice on DVD-ROM software would be much appreciated from the experts.
I'm no expert, having tried about 3 disks on my Pc, but I had a similar thing happen to me, except the controls would load, but not play the movie. It would ask me to update the player, and going to the interactual site, I discovered I had the current revision. I downloaded it anyway and had the same problem.

The fix was to lower my screen resolution to 800x600. I haven't had a problem since, and I have no idea why this worked. I blame Dell, as I do with all my problems (better Dell than my ignorance!:b )

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Mine's a Dell too, and I had the same problem with IAplayer, but then I filled out the survey and problem solved.
The weird thing is that InterActual is the one working best so far, not PowerDVD which came with the computer, and you would think would be the better, more comprehensive player.
Has anyone else checked out the outtakes yet? There's one with Ben Afflek and J-Garner that's pretty priceless.

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
The DVD is fantastic, with amazing image and sound. But upon a second viewing, the movie is IMO really, really bad! I think it was totally misscasted, and what's up with the music? It's like one long rock music video. The story also suffers a lot, but hopefully the director's cut will remedy this. Daredevil is really another perfect example of a bad movie getting a great DVD (which isn't a bad thing!)
On the plus side, this makes me REALLY excited for the X2 disc.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
There's a menu at the top of the interactual window that lets you switch between the DVD-ROM and DVD-Video content.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Finally got a chance to pop this in today, and like most others I was really impressed by the quality of this disc. I thought the DTS track was especially strong, because it was so well balanced. I suppose that's more of a complement of the mix and not the codec, but I just can't suppress the DTS fanboy in me :)

The video looked great on my Panny 53WX42 with a perfect black level. This is up there with Seven as far as transfer quality.

And, to top it off, I seemed to enjoy the film a lot more this time ;)

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Well I knew it said something that deals with her...because when Matt is walking up the street at the end...he's smelling her...you can tell...and then he goes up...reads her name on the braile necklace...and smells her on the other building...turns his head...and smiles...

T r o y

Supporting Actor
You guys have really got me stoked for seeing this tonight.
I'm watching it on my friend's front projection 720P setup
with Electra-masking Stewart screen!!! I'm so excited!!!

Can't wait to hear that DTS track!!!

I'm sure I'll be going out and picking this one up as well!

Later!

Troy

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Picked this up on my way home last night after reading this thread...

I suppose that's more of a complement of the mix and not the codec,
Well, I can honestly say that IMO the DTS codec is partly responsible for the better sound that I hear with the DTS track. It does the things in my system that DTS does better than DD as a rule...timbers sound more complex, spacial imaging is improved and there's a sense of "air" or separation between sounds that's more realistic...more "analog" if you will.

Yes, definitely a reference disc to be sure!

dave :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
A very enjoyable movie, glad I made the blind purchase.

Darker then I thought it would be though. The story is standard for a first time comic book movie, just like Spider-Man and X-Men. I thought Ben did a great job as DD, he was able translate his inner-turmoil very well. As for the rolls of Bullseye and King Pin, I thought they were a bit too comedic and campy for the seriousness of DD and Elektra. Special effects were good, but could have been better. I was bummed to see Elektra get axed and was hoping to see her return toward the end of the film.

As for the dts track, hands down one of the best to date. Extremely full, very accurate to the on screen action and very enveloping. As for the bass, there is plenty here in the 18-22Hz range, the good stuff, not always heard but strongly felt. My wife sat in a watched it with me so I had it no where near reference and with every punch from the boxing scenes it felt like I was getting hit, when Bullseye rang the church bell, damn! It was awesome. Very tight, very low and very clean...excellent bass here. Half the bass I could not hear just feel, which made me jump a few times as it came unexpectedly.

As for the transfer, frikken awesome as well. Very clean, sharp and detailed. For such a dark movie, it shined. Only one scene did I see a lot of video noise and that was of the air-plane's exterior just before Bullseye is seen sitting next to the old lady. Colors were decent, nothing overly vibrant, quite a few scenes with greenish tints which I did find somewhat distracting at times. Dark scenes had some great detail as well.

Over-all I give it 3.5 out of 5.

Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks