What's new

"Daredevil 1.5" given an R rating by the MPAA.....hmmmm (1 Viewer)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
It's not 20 minutes of violence. So far we know it will include an entire subplot with Coolio as one of Matt and Foggy's defendants, as well as the scenes where Urich and the chief of police start to figure out that Fisk is the Kingpin, leading up to the climax that in the theatrical cut pretty much made no sense, but will now.

I know some of the restored stuff will be violence in existing scenes, but most of the restored fottage is plot related. I'm more curious what stuff has been cut that was in the theatrical cut. I'd say thus far this is my most anticipated DVD release next year, along with ROTK:EE and (if it ain't just the 97 SEs) Star Wars.

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg R
Please tell me we're not being subjected to another film with "1.5" in its title. I enjoyed Daredevil and have been looking forward to a new "Director's Cut." But "1.5" ? Come on.

Greg 1.5

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
At least this time, it will actually be a different cut of the film.

CoreyII

Second Unit
To Craig:Mclaren,

While most of the supporting cast is good, the worst performer in the film (if most guys can get past their hormones) is Jennifer Garner. Anyone who has read the Daredevil comics especially the stories involoving Elekta know that the Elektra isn't anything like the way Garner portrayed her in the film.

There's a scene in the film where Elektra runs and leaps 10ft in the air on top of a building. Now in all my years of reading Daredevil comics I have never known Elektra to have powers like Peter Parker.

As a matter of fact, all Jennifer Garner's performance was in Daredevil was a big screen version of her Sydney Bristow character from Alias.

Now while he wouldn't have been my first choice for Daredevil, Affleck's performance isn't all that bad. To be honest (IMHO) Affleck does a better job playing Matt Murdock/Daredevil than Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, and George Clooney combined did playing the Batman. As far as the problems with Daredevil as a film, I put much more blame on director Mark Steven Johnson than any of the actors and actresses.

As far as this new extended version of the film is concerned, I agree with some of the people on this forum when I say that I don't know if 20 additional minutes and an R-rating will make this film any better.

Afterall, I remember when the R-rated of Spawn was released and it wasn't any better than the PG-13 version.

Ruslan

Stunt Coordinator
From the documentary on the present DVD, it seems there was a lot of studio interference and politics on this film, eg making the costume look black in the early scenes because they didn't like red.

Although the film has its flaws (some of the epileptic editing grates), from what I understand of the deleted material, the extended version of the film will be a much richer experience. I think it suffered in packing too much into one film (though I have to say I did really enjoy it), and seeing some of the comic panels come alive was a real kick.

The '1.5' thing is horrible, though, and needs to be stopped!

richardWI

Second Unit
Since its an extra 20 minutes they should call it 1.2

Haven't these people learned anything from Dennis Hopper?

You can't go to the moon on fractions!!!!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Craig... are you kidding?

There is a reason this is one of the finest superhero movies ever made, and that's because of Affleck's great performance! (Colin Farrell is equally amazing as Bullseye). Please watch the film before you make judgement. :)

I have been waiting for the R-cut because it was quite obvious where the cuts were. I am looking forward to an extended version of the Daredevil/Kingpin fight ;)

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
I'll check it out for Colin Farrell (and Miss Garner!) but really Ben Affleck puts me to sleep. Him and his mate Matt Damon seem to be handed a superstar status that neither has the persona or acting talent to live up to. I mean Johnny Depp, George Clooney, Colin Farrell have that special something that makes a great leading man but Mr Affleck doesn't. This seems to be mentioned a lot by people and reviewers so I'm guessing that maybe I'm right for once! This would make a good threat actually.

The standard of todays leading men. I'll post it soon. :D

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Unless this new "extended cut" involves hiring a new director, several actors and reshooting much of (or all of) the movie, it'll just be a longer piece of cinematic crap.

To quote the junkyard owner from Christine "You can't polish a turd".

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
As far as the problems with Daredevil as a film, I put much more blame on director Mark Steven Johnson than any of the actors and actresses.
This I agree with, tho I'd also had is lack of writing abilities. While there were some nice moments, it fails more often than it suceeds.

Jason

CoreyII

Second Unit
Hey Jason Birzer, you have some very interesting points.

Not exactly high praise for him. Yet, I still disagree with you. While none of those guys were outstanding at playing Batman, none of them were horrible. I can't say the same about Affleck. I'm pretty certain that the guy can't do drama without looking false. Outside of Kevin Smith films, he has looked totally unimpressive as an actor. To be honest, I think Colin Farrel would have made a better Matt.
I have to respectfullly disagree with you, all of the actor's that played the Batman were horrible. Once again I must reiterate Affleck would not have never been my first choice for Daredevil/Matt Murdock, but considering Keaton's, Kilmer's and Clooney's performance he did bring more of an intensity to the D/D character (which I've alway's seen as the poor man's Batman) than the aforementioned actors did to the Batman. To be honest Affleck would have never crossed my mind for someone who could play Daredevil. Honestly, of all the four actors just mentioned, Affleck is the less of four evils.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I have to respectfullly disagree with you, all of the actor's that played the Batman were horrible. Once again I must reiterate Affleck would not have never been my first choice for Daredevil/Matt Murdock, but considering Keaton's, Kilmer's and Clooney's performance he did bring more of an intensity to the D/D character (which I've alway's seen as the poor man's Batman) than the aforementioned actors did to the Batman. To be honest Affleck would have never crossed my mind for someone who could play Daredevil. Honestly, of all the four actors just mentioned, Affleck is the less of four evils.
Sorry, while I might agree that the three Batman actors were miscast, you can't tell me that any of their performances, actingwise, were worse than Affleck. Anytime Affleck tried to do anything emotionally outside of being charming, it comes off as fake. I big sign appears on his forehead that screams, "I'M ACTING!!!"

Affleck was probably my biggest concern going into seeing the film, and unfortunatly, I was proven right. This is comming from someone who is somewhat of a fan, but thinks he probably should stick to romantic comedies. (Gigli not withstanding...)

Jason

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I've mentioned this in other Daredevil threads, but this movie really grew on me. It now ranks as one of my favorite comic book adaptations.

I thought the chemistry was really good between Affleck and Garner. Of course, the chemistry would be good between me and Garner too. :D

Look forward to this arrving soon! :emoji_thumbsup:

CoreyII

Second Unit
Hey Jason what's up,

While Michelle wasn't the Kyle of the comic book, it worked well on its own. Probably the best thing about Batman Returns
Pfiefer's Catwoman was nothing more than a stupid feminist statement in a film that didn't need one. Tim Burton and Denise DiNovi(Batman Returns Producer) sad attempt at political correctness in the post Thelma and Louise era.

In my opinon Danny DeVito's Penguin was the best thing to come out of that movie because his rendition of the Penguin defied my expectations of the character. DeVito took an otherwise lame Batman villain and made him very threatening.

Christopher Walken was good if only because he stole pretty much every scene from Pfiefer and Keaton. What is really sad is how DC comics have now tailored Catwoman after Pfiefer's version of the character.

Hey Jason, Im going to stop right because I have to get back and study for my finals and plus this forums was originally about the Daredevil 1.5 disc, I don't want to deviate too far from the topic at hand. It's just that Im a sucker for conversations based on my favorite comic book characters. Anyway take it easy man and happy holidays.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Hey Jason, Im going to stop right because I have to get back and study for my finals and plus this forums was originally about the Daredevil 1.5 disc, I don't want to deviate too far from the topic at hand.
Heh, I remember being there. Good luck.

I'll just say that I had the opposite feeling about the Penguin (Not quite what I was expecting) and that Walken steals scenes in every film he's in.

Jason

Eric Wood

Stunt Coordinator
Keaton was not big enough. Kilmer did not want to do it. Though he he could have been excellent. Cooney was to old, and not the right intensity needed. The bat is a brooding hulk of a guy.
Affleck is just not a good choice for any leading man. His buddy Mr. Damon is much better in that role.
I thought DD was :thumbsdown: generally speaking. I hope the added 20 minutes help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks