What's new

Dany Heatley wastes his ferrari and nearly himself (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree with Brent on this one. Crazy salaries are ruining hockey and my hometeam of the Edmonton Oilers will probably not be here in a few more years the way things are going.
Actually, the way things are going, there possibly won't even be an NHL in a few years if the players don't get paid less.

ps If I wreck a car, blood-alcohol tests won't be tied up for weeks. I guess I'm not special.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
These people that think they are invinsible because they are pro athletes often find out the hard way that they aren't!
Oh man you made me blow Pepsi out my nose with that one!

Is that like being indestructable and see-through? :)

True these athletes make more than you or I perhaps ever will, but so many crash and burn, or end up bankrupt, in jail etc etc it provides entertainement...

- JS

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
when the company (i.e. the team) they play (work) for is making hundreds of millions of $$ off of their performance, how much is it to ask for a small percentage?
One of the problems is that most "common" folks can no longer afford season tickets to professional events, due to the ever-skyrocketing player costs, as well as the various costs associated with stadium rental/ownership.

The team wouldn't NEED to make such huge amounts of money if salaries were kept to a reasonable level. This circle of ever-increasing fees and salaries will eventually cause the death of professonal teams. Logically speaking, it simply cannot continue.

Hell, I used to be an avid fan of the Calgary Flames. (Stop laughing dammit.) Even though my wife and I make a decent living, there is no way we can afford decent seats for the season. (Oh, we could probably afford the appropriately named "nosebleed" seats, where you need serious magnification to see the PLAYERS, much less the puck.) And last I checked, the Flames had some of the cheapest seats around...

I suspect that the Flames won't be around much longer. And that's sad.

Another pet-peeve...when rookies are coming up to the major leagues, and DEMANDING seven-figure salaries and actually getting them there is something wrong with the system.

Just my two cents...

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
5 people have died in the last week in Atlanta on the roads. None of which were driving Ferraris, but all being reckless. I wonder if they should get a pay cut too?
this was one of the stupidest rationalizations ive ever heard, and i feel less intelligent for having read it. i want my 4 seconds back. yes, give the dead people a pay cut.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
In all my ranting over the state of professional sports, I didn't comment on the actual topic of this thread. :b

What a rotten accident...what a waste...

I'm sorry to hear what happened to Dany and his team-mate. However, at the same time, I hope that fame & fortune hadn't gone to his head. Doing 80 or more in an area that has a limit of (if I heard right) 35 is pretty darned stupid. I don't want to say he got what he deserved... but damn. If you are lucky enough to own a Ferrari, go test it out on some nice long straightaways somewhere...preferably where there isn't any other traffic, or poles nearby that can rip your car in two.

I *really* feel for his teammate, who apparently wasn't belted in, and is in critical condition through no fault of his own. That just sucks, and I truly hope he makes a full recovery. :frowning:

wally

Second Unit
I *really* feel for his teammate, who apparently wasn't belted in, and is in critical condition through no fault of his own.
Assuming the Ferrari had passenger side seat belts not using them, most certainly aggravating his condition, is 100% his fault.

Always buckle the straps, weather it’s in a Ferrari or a ’78 rusted out K-car!

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
this was one of the stupidest rationalizations ive ever heard, and i feel less intelligent for having read it. i want my 4 seconds back. yes, give the dead people a pay cut.
It was supposed to be ridiculous. Learn to detect sarcasm. But this whole post is just as ridiculous. Some moron wrecks his expensive car, so a big debate about over paid people ensues.

James T

Screenwriter
It's the EA sports curse. The Toronto Star did a story on this saying that after each recent star appeared on the cover of EA Sports, something happened to them. They just hope it doesn't happen to Vince Carter

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
It was supposed to be ridiculous. Learn to detect sarcasm. But this whole post is just as ridiculous. Some moron wrecks his expensive car, so a big debate about over paid people ensues.
well, i just started the thread, not the conversation about money, blame whoever you like about the 'ridiculous' thread. and your rationalization is not stupid because you suggested to give dead people pay cuts, it is the link between reckless driving and cutting peoples pay. and about detecting sarcasm, there is a fine line between being sarcastic and being a fool. since you showed no indication which way you were leaning, i made my own assumptions.

CJ

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
since you showed no indication which way you were leaning, i made my own assumptions.
Your right. I can see how you would naturally assume that giving dead people a pay cut is actually something some people might believe. My mistake. If it was a snake then it would not have bitten you, but wrapped itself around you and constricted you to death.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I gotta say that the only people who deserve to make any money are the lottery winners... they work hard and deserve every penny :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Dan Snyder died tonight (obviously from complications from the injuries suffered in that horrific car crash last week).

The local news interviewed some of the Braves players about this development, and Smoltz said it sort of put the pain of losing a playoff series in perspective, and Marcus Giles knows of the pain of losing a loved one (he and his wife lost their newborn a couple of years ago) and extended his condolences to Dan Snyder's family.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I just saw the news of Snyder's death. As I get older--I'm only 28--I look back at the foolish things that I have done and consider myself lucky. Young men (and women) like to drive fast. Hopefully at least one kid will think twice about racing and driving recklessly as a result of this. Unfortunately, this happens far too often.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully at least one kid will think twice about racing and driving recklessly as a result of this. Unfortunately, this happens far too often.
I look back on the stupid things I have done, and I never once thought twice. Everyone does this, so it's hard to assume kids will just start doing it out of no where.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"so a big debate about over paid people ensues."

Whatt's wrong with a good debate??

I think that the big point is that we ALL end up paying for a pro athletes salary so why dont we have a right to complain.

I'd LOVE to see a few Leaf games, but the good seat are only for the rich ..... I guess they pay a higher % of the players income so that's cool!!

Brent

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Heard about Dan Snyder this morning. Sorry to hear this news. :frowning:

Hopefully at least one kid will think twice about racing and driving recklessly as a result of this. Unfortunately, this happens far too often.
Couldn't agree more.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
haRD to believe it has been 18 years since pelle lindbrgh died the same way.
i wonder if hockey will ever try to do anything to seriously help players, as it seems obvious there is a big alcohol problem in hockey over the years.
although i should add that it is unknown if alcohol was part of this accident.

http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~norrisdt/bio/lindbergh.html

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
wow, horrible news.
i wonder if hockey will ever try to do anything to seriously help players, as it seems obvious there is a big alcohol problem in hockey over the years
there is a substance abuse program in the nhl, i'm assuming they handle alcohol abuse as well. although as you said, they didnt mention if alcohol was a factor. if they didnt mention it, i will assume it was not. usually we hear about it right away if it was, at least by now we would have. unless we hear otherwise, this was just a case of extreme reckless driving.

CJ

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's been reported that Heatley's BAC measured 0.02, well below the legal limit. I chalk this up to Heatley simply driving recklessly and lost control on a dark, windy road (that I've driven on countlessly on my way to Lenox mall).

Users who are viewing this thread