What's new

Danny McBride & Jody Hill's THE RIGHTEOUS GEMSTONES (HBO) (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I have to say I'm particularly enjoying this series, maybe moreso because it's not just going for crude jokes, but is mostly just good drama. The flashback episode was particularly good; Emmy alert for Goggins as supporting actor - just a standout performance. I was also struck by what a significant budget this show must involve. That whole retro 80s stuff - cars, computers, costumes, etc. - was not cheap. And it wasn't cheap to CGI smoothe Goodman's face throughout to make him look younger.

It took me a while to recognize Jennifer Nettles playing Amy Lee, and she also did a good job toning down her usual over the top Okie twang. The musical number with Baby Billy was great. And the kid who played Jesse as a boy did a fantastic job of matching McBride's delivery and attitude.m A really great episode.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Jennifer Nettles name had flashed across the credits a time or two but it didn't connect until the flashback episode. Fantastic! That whole scene was great. That whole, "I've got the power of God and I will f@ck you up!" scene during the rave was great too! I was so happy they didn't turn it into a joke and instead played it straight. Made me start cheering for the youngest Gemstone!

HBO needs to sign this team to a lifetime contract! :)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Who knew this series by Danny McBride could end with such heart and potential for redemption? If they left it here; it would be fine. A moral tale wrapped in some outrageous raw skin. Judy's dialogue was so blandly obscene (describing her tryst with her economics teacher) as to be hysterical. All the pieces ended as they should with new beginnings. A very surprisingly uplifting series.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Interview with Aaron Paul on El Camino.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/el-ca...king-reunion-with-bryan-crantons-walter-white

I met him several years ago at the Las Vegas Film Festival when he was in the thick of playing Jesse on Breaking Bad. My wife took a picture with him, and then made me destroy it while she went back up to the hotel room and put her makeup on and then had another picture taken with him So funny. And he was such a nice guy. He was there with his girlfriend (now wife) who had directed and produced a documentary that was showing.
Danette & Aaron Paul.jpg

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
January 9. "Stop wasting time playing with your muscular boys!"

They're going full Godfather with this, it seems. Something tells me Eric André is gonna be the breakout the way Goggins was in the first season.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
I saw that poster and thought about doing a search for it online! :)

Loved the first two episodes. Anything this team brings, I'm in.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Shaving your nuts for some other bitch!!"

The collapsing human pyramid triggering RoboCop-esque demands for medical attention and Eli's manscaping-attempt are really leaning on how fucked-up the violence gets on this show. It's the closest thing HBO has gotten to a show like The Sopranos since The Sopranos. I hope more people start getting on this train.

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"I need to find an accountant that doesn't look like Jim Henson."

Goodman should get an Emmy-nom. Looks like he could pass for Jesse Plemons's dad in this episode.

The end with Eli on the rollercoaster intercut with Junior tinkering with his gun is leaning hard on some Paul Schrader-worthy toxic masculinity-conflict coming.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Can’t believe the Young Guns-ploy didn’t work.

That bit, the closet flying off the roof, with a disoriented, fucked-up Lisson wife pouring out and blind-firing into the sky, only to get blown apart by bullets like she’s in RoboCop, is something I expect to think about for years to come, LOL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks