What's new

Danny McBride & Jody Hill's THE RIGHTEOUS GEMSTONES (HBO) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Part three of Danny McBride and Jody Hill's "misunderstood angry man" TV series trilogy is the story of a world-famous televangelist family with a long tradition of deviance, greed, and charitable work in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. McBride is set to play the series lead, Jesse Gemstone, the head of the televangelist group, and one of three Gemstone siblings. Edi Patterson (Vice Principals) is set to join the cast as Jesse’s sister, Judy Gemstone. HBO has already ordered a half-hour pilot episode that is set to be shot in Charleston, South Carolina this July:

http://www.thathashtagshow.com/2018...s-the-righteous-gemstones-set-for-july-start/

Danny McBride: "It's very much inspired by British comedy and Seventies cinema, these character pieces where they wouldn't wrap themselves up in neat bows – like the ending of Five Easy Pieces."

If Vice Principals and Eastbound and Down are anything to go by, this is gonna be absolutely amazing. Was hoping Hill and McBride would return for another HBO project sooner or later. Here's hoping Goggins shows up in this somewhere, too -- I'd die if that happened.

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
You've probably seen it by now but look at McBride's Instagram to see a picture of Goggins in the show. It's quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen.
Dear God.

This all helps to take a little bit of the sting out of Goggins doing a pilot for a CBS sitcom that will likely run for seven seasons and keep him from better stuff.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
This sounds frickin' hilarious! As a huge fan of both Eastbound & Down & Vice Principals - and as someone who just enjoys this type of humor anyway - I'll definitely be onboard for this show. If McBride is involved, I'm sure it will be laugh-out-loud funny - but also extremely awkward - LOL.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Big new trailer just hit:

...Only about a week-and-a-half to go now.

I feel like Danny McBride is contractually obligated to do the jerk-off gesture in everything he does. Adam Devine has the perfect look for the try-too-hard, frosted-tips trendy youth-pastor. The three of them together (with Goodman) in one show is pretty amazing. I'm guessing they've got a plot laid out for multiple seasons like they did with Vice Principals. I'm really interested in where they take it.

(Side-note: It drives me absolutely mad that they haven't released Vice Principals S2 on Blu-ray yet.)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Premieres tonight.

Succession and Gemstones back-to-back is quite the asshole-packed two hours. Can't wait. Looking at HBO's schedule, the pilot goes from 9-10. Is this show going to be McBride and Hill's first hour-long?

Also, anyone else listen to Goggins's chat with Marc Maron? I die a little inside every time I see an ad for his CBS show, but that interview is a feelgood time, and that sonuvagun is every bit as delightful as you'd think he is. When he tries to sell Maron on a gym membership, I was cracking up.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Watched Gemstones after the rest of the family went to bed. Woke them all up laughing at the last scene in the parking lot! All in as expected!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Was just rewatching the premiere episode in anticipation of tonight's new episode. Probably the most interesting narrative of any of their openers. Love that they've made Edi Patterson a regular part of their ensemble. Patterson's COMEDY BANG BANG appearances should be part of the public-school curriculum in any country that calls itself civilized. (What was it she said when she was trying pass off her boyfriend as a statue of her boyfriend on all fours? Something about getting a good deal on it because of the dick?)

"Remember when we were kids, and we wanted to be Double Dragons?"

Also, I had to rewind that one take of the dual hit-and-run. Dark, yet hysterical. And:

"I got friends that are homosexuals."
"I bet you do."

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
(What was it she said when she was trying pass off her boyfriend as a statue of her boyfriend on all fours? Something about getting a good deal on it because of the dick?)

Paraphrasing from memory, but pretty close IIRC.

Brother asks if she's alone [not supposed to be shacking up with fiance]
She says she is
Brother sees fiance on landing trying to hide by crouching low
Brother asks 'ain't that your boyfriend up there doing a shitty job of hiding'
She says 'no, that's a statue.'
- Oh, a statute that looks just like your boyfriend. huh? . . ."

"Yeah, I got it on sale because the dick is bent on it.'

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
So it's to be a half hour show after all.The funniest moment in the pilot for me was when McBride was projecting the ransom video to his siblings and he stands in front of the screen at one point, and, if you look closely, his mouth is wide and yapping right against the projected image of the man's dick in the background. That was my point of laughing out loud. Subtle, but at the same time, outrageously not.

Last edited:

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
So it's to be a half hour show after all.The funniest moment in the pilot for me was when McBride was projecting the ransom video to his siblings and he stands in front of the screen at one point, and, if you look closely, his mouth is wide and yapping right against the projected image of the man's dick in the background. That was my point of laughing out loud. Subtle, but at the same time, outrageously not.

You think that was something? Rewatch the prayer montage at the end of episode two. Keefe is, with an excruciating degree of unambiguousness, going commando while spotting Kelvin's bench press.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
Third episode is up on HBO-on-Amazon; likely the same for other HBO On Demand outlets too.

Goggins as Baby Billy is absolutely magnificent.

Carrying on a theme of the thread, episode 3 opens with a prominent feature of Baby Billy's Walton and Two Goggins. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks