Danny Elfman losing creativity? Big Fish

Discussion in 'Movies' started by todd stone, Oct 10, 2003.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Since Elfman is composing for Big Fish and the using of the edward scissorhands sndtrk..does this imply

a: the sndtrk probably turned out to not be anything fantastic and used the renouned scissorhands theme to entice fans?

or

b: sndtrk is not complete so they used olde elfman music.

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

My guess is that the soundtrack isn't complete. It's fairly common practice to use music from other movies in trailers.

3. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

yeah...most definitely used as "temp" music until the music is done...did you notice that The Two Towers used Requiem For A Dream's Music for their trailers? It sounded scored too, a different version than was used in Requiem. Doesn't mean any creativity has been lost.

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah, it's pretty rare to have a trailer with the new soundtrack. For example, look at all of the Star Wars trailers. They use cues from the previous films, but never the actual film being promoted.

5. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Sorry, I bet it's Elfman. I was watching Dick Tracy with my girlfriend the other day, and she commented to me how the music sounded identical to Batman, Men in Black, Beetlejuice, and a host of others. I have never been a big fan of the guy, if you can tell, and I find his repetition distracting, adding little to the films he scores.

6. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

The music in Big Fish trailer is EXACTLY out of edward scissorhands. I think Elfman has kind of lost his touch over the last few years. His work on Sleepy Hollow was magnificent, but Spider Man was lackluster. Even with Tim Burton on planet of the apes he was showing signs of decay. I love most of his work as a composer, so I am hoping that Elfman blows us all away with big fish.

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

8. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    I'm actually kinda bummed about "Big Fish" itself after reading all of the pre-release praise it's getting on these boards and others. Watching the trailer, I was at first impressed...but upon subsequent viewings, it looks derivative and mediocre at best...and how do I put this...CHEESY beyond belief. Right down to the Forrest Gump/ Scissorhands scores used throughout the trailer. So far the most impressive thing I've seen is the poster...but as far as I can tell, there are no images as breathtaking (not even close) in the film, or else they would have shown us one in the trailer to get us pumped.

And if Danny Elfman continues to be the newer Danny Elfman...I mean, really, his best scores were all in the 80's- "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" and the first "Batman" film were spectacular, but I've been completely unimpressed with his work since then. (Spiderman's score sucked big time!)

So...what we have left is a lot of studio propoganda telling us that we're SUPPOSED to like this movie, and that it's a shoe-in for a BEST PICTURE nomination (HUH??) yet everything I've actually seen so far looks really hokey, and well, child's play compared to the imagery in ROTK and the Matrix sequels. And Elfman is way off the radar AFAIC...hopefully his score won't be a Forrest Gump derivative, since the entire film seems to be the result of a studio heads meeting where some jackass said "Hey, how about a movie like "Forrest Gump" and "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" rolled into one!" (And ridiculously, someone signed off on it!) [​IMG]

Despite all this I'm trying to remain positive ([​IMG]) but I don't hold out much hope that this will be a good film. But of course I've been waaay wrong before, so who knows... [​IMG]

-Dennis

9. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Dennis,

While I can understand your reaction (The trailer has lessened its impact on me as well), I still think it will be a pretty good film, mainly because of the actors involved. I also think it goes back to what Tim Burton does best, and that's doing slightly twisted reality. Course, it would be even better if he was working on an original idea, since doing adaptations seem to cramp his style somewhat.

No, this is probably not going to be an Oscar film. There are too many of those out there. I do think tho that it will be a good return to form for Burton, tho...

Jason

10. Mark<>Tsc

Mark<>Tsc Extra

Saw the trailer for the Alamo yesterday in front of Kill Bill, the music was lifted directly from Gladiator.