Danish TV broadcasts have a better signal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Peak, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Kevin Peak

Kevin Peak Agent

Kev
    I'm not sure which area this post should be in, but i just wanted to state an observation i've had since coming to Denmark to study (from the University of Kansas). Television broadcasts here seem to have a much better picture quality than i'm used to seeing from watching TV in Kansas...
    I know there's a slight change in resolution due to formats, but the colors in the picture are so much more vivid and realistic! I really was surprised when i watched one of the evening movies last friday (i love that movies are completely unedited on regular channels even, and that there are NO commercials, they are all grouped at the end of shows-- amazing...heh). And this is on cable, not satelite or anything. Whatever they are doing right, the TV stations in the areas i'm familiar with in the states need to take notice and make some changes! Does anyone know exactly what could be responsible overall for the quality?
    It was just something picking at my brain...
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    kevp

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Kevin,
    I could be wrong, but I believe the PAL system used in Europe processes color differently than our ntsc system, making it easier to achieve consistent color when changing stations. It's entirely possible that most of the difference is better "quality control" of the outgoing signal as well as the cable systems.
    It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that tint is totally controlled at the source in the PAL system, and that a pure PAL receiver does not have a tint control. Since most sets sold in Europe will also do ntsc, they do in practice have tint controls for ntsc sources.
    I have an old booklet that came with the Video Essentials Laserdisc that explains some of this, but it's at work right now. The gist of the PAL vs NTSC color system analysis was that ntsc was capable of better color, but this was rarely achieved in practice due to the fact that there are more variables inherent in the system--that it's better than PAL but to achieve the better results more tweaking is necessary and in practice the quality control just isn't there at the broadcast stations.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

3. Kevin Peak

Kevin Peak Agent

Kev
    Interesting, i wasn't aware PAL had a standard tinting control. Would this affect digital cable at all or is digital is digital is digital?
    It really is quite a good picture, the sharpness of the lines is something that surprised me too, so maybe it's general quality control of the signal that is aiding the clarity that i see...
    Thanks,
    kevp

4. Kevin Peak

Kevin Peak Agent

Kev
    Also, after reading my earlier posts, I'd like to clear up any assumptions, I am studying and traveling over here, i'm not just sitting around and watching TV [​IMG]
    DOH! But i am here on the forum sometimes... HAHAHA [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    kevp