What's new

Dangerous to put DVD on top of Reciver? (1 Viewer)

Steve Bang

Auditioning
My reciever makes a fair amount of heat (Panasonic SA-HE200), is it ok to put the DVD player on top of it?

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i think you already know the answer to this one. don't do it

the receiver may go into protect mode when it overheats and you'll shorten its lifespan.

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
I highly doubt that the DVD player will take it. My DVD player was not sitting directly on top of my receiver, BUT it was on the next shelf up in my rack about 3 inches above. By the end of a 2 hour movie the DVD player started skipping and breaking up badly. I rearranged my components and put the DVD player up another shelf and I haven't had a problem since. Do yourself, and your components a favor and do not set the DVD player on top of the receiver.

Mike

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I would say you should be FAR more worried about the receiver. Placing a component directly on top will almost certainly kill it.

-Vince

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
HMMMM, my receiver went into protect mode last night,after a 5-6 hr DVD marathon,and it also has a DVD player on it.I placed
a fan directly across from the receiver blowing across the back.Would this possible be enough??As my AV case has only 2 shelves .I will be stackng a LOT of other components also.
I plan on getting some 2.25 ID PVC pipe,and create some spacers for the DVD player #1(this involvea Toshiba and firmware):frowning: a whole nother post,and spacince it up another 2-3 inches,this plus the fan blowing across the back of the reciever would seem to disapate heat suficently.Ive got my digital thermo probe kit here ,so i will get some reading and post .As Drag racer/auto mech of 20 years,I can build some bizzare stuff that will work;) I work on Kia's right now,soooo any more questions:D .If I have to redesign cars at work,Im sure I can solve a little heat problem,so far the 8 in fan mounted on the wall is kicking butt:emoji_thumbsup:
Ill keep everyone updated ont he sucess /failure of this venture;)
Greg Kolinski

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I would LOVE to see a Kia turned into a drag racer.
I think it would blow up. :D

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
There are lots of simple ways to put some space above that receiver. You risk reducing the life of your electronics by simply stacking them on top of each other.

Are you covering vent holes on the top of the receiver? If so, even a fan at the rear wont work.

Get some 2x4 pieces of wood and create feet on the L/R of the receiver to raise the DVD player off the receiver leaving most of the vent holes open on top. Now a fan will do a much better job.

Search the DIY fourm for the word "Flexy". A Flexy rack is simply pre-laminated shelves from the local hardware store and some long, 4 ft threaded rods with washers and screws. This allows you to create an open-rack with as much/little space as you want for under $100. You just have to drill a few holes in the shelf to thread the rods through.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I have a quick question--I wouldn't call my setup the greatest in the world (I have an AIWA 5-disc changer stereo as a receiver (optical hookups)--therein lies my question--the stereo itself vents on the sides and the back--I currently have my nintendo gamecube on top--neither components' vents are covered, but the stereo itself can be warm sometime--is this safe for either component?

thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks