Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys --16:9? NOT Widescreen? (MERGED THREAD)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Deane Johnson, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Has anyone acquired this that can tell me if it's anamorphic or not? Some sites list it as 16:9 Enhanced and some simply say Widescreen. I checked the box at the store and it only says "Widescreen". I'm hoping that someone who has gotten it can tell me what's actually on the disc.

Thanks

Deane

2. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Yes, it is 16:9 enhanced, and a nice transfer. The "widescreen" designation on the box is confusing.

3. Deane Johnson

Thanks Bob. I often wonder about the marketing departments of some of the film companies. A lot of people won't buy a DVD unless it's anamorplhic, I'm one of them. To leave this information out and subsequently lose sales is hard to understand. Sometimes I wonder how some of these people keep their jobs. Now that I know it 16:9 enhanced, I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Deane

4. BooneG

BooneG Stunt Coordinator

The title says it all. I bought the movie thinking it was in widescreen because it says that it is in widescreen. I pop it into my player and it's P&S. And not even a good P&S job (like there is one). When they introduce the comic characters you can't even read their names. Columbia/Tristar has done it again. I am really starting to hate this company too.

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

This directly contradicts the other thread on this title which confirms it as anamorphic widescreen. Are you sure this isn't one of those titles that will auto pan & scan, or that your player is set up wrong?

The only other thing I can think is that you bought a Lion's Gate version...

6. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Are you sure your DVD player isn't set to "4:3 PanScan", or something similar?

Search out your manual, try and set it to "4:3 Letterbox" through your DVD player menu, then look at it.

It might well be similar to the Last Temptation of Christ fiasco a couple of years ago.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I'm combining the two threads on this topic and modifying the title.

M.

8. Deane Johnson

I just popped the copy I got today into the player and it is definetely anamorphic widescreen (1.85:1). Looks like a beautiful clean sharp transfer.

Deane

9. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Just finished watching this one only minutes ago. I most certianly is in widescreen and has a very nice transfer to boot.
    I liked parts of the movie, but for me it failed as a whole. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] (of 5)

10. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I just came back from Blockbuster an hour ago where I rented this movie as well as some others.
    I popped it in and it was pan&scan. I was really confused but I immediately turned it off and popped in another movie. I'm going to try playing it on a different player and see if it's widescreen or if it has the Last Temptation of Christ problem. I'll also look at the set-up of my player - even though this has never happened before.

11. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Well, I couldn't find any setup menu on my stand-alone DVD player, but I put the disc in my PS2 and it played widescreen.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Just rented this and had the P&S/Widescreen issue some described above.
    Found out that it's flagged like the Canadian release of "Ginger Snaps" where you have to have a player that can be set to 4:3 or 16:9. It is a WS transfer, but will zoom to FS on players set incorrectly or on older players that do not have this setting (like mine; I had to play it on my newer, cheap Daewoo to get the WS framing).
    Not sure why it's set like this, but ideally all DVD's would be set up like this so that the P&S fans would have their screens filled and those who prefer the OAR could also be happy. One package, one SKU, everyone's happy. [​IMG]

13. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Ideally, there would be a menu option on the DVD where you could select which version to watch.