'Dangerous Liaisons' Needs an Upgrade

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I really wish Warner would revisit one of my all-time fave films, Dangerous Liaisons, and give it the treatment befitting an Academy Award-winning film. I took this film for another spin today, first time on my new projector, and it was absolutely depressing to see how bad it looked.

This has to be one of WB's first ever DVD releases, coming out waaaaaay back in 1997, and it's a bare-bones, fuzzy, dirty looking print in one of those thankfully extinct snapper cases. I suppose we should be lucky that at least it was widescreen and anamorphically enhanced considering the year, but that's about all this disc has going for it.

It doesn't need to be a big 2-disc Special Edition (though that would be nice). But how about a nice upgrade in the same style as the re-release of Driving Miss Daisy (another personal fave) a couple years back? With a new, clean, remastered print, commentary, and a couple extra features?

Pretty please? ...though I realize the final decision is quite beyond my control.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I agree - this is one of my favourite movies as well and I hope Warners will give it the SE treatment in 2007. A HD version would be very welcome as well. Anyway, they've announced that they will be releasing 200 titles on DVD next year, so let's hope Dangerous Liaisons will be one of them!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully they were talking about 200 new titles and that they'll upgrade DL anyway. Yes, I watched this old dvd just a week ago. I think it was one of the first dvds I ever purchased, back in 98 or so. Yes, I immediately noticed its shortcomings, although I thought it looked fine back in the day. Lots and lots of older dvds can be redone, although they're probably waiting to see who wins the format wars first. They don't want to be stuck with thousands of unsellable blu-ray discs, now do they?

donnie_d

Stunt Coordinator
yeah it surprises me what they didn't think of making a SE of this...i remeber i read that someone asked WB in their last conference and they said they had no plans then...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Personally, I don't care about an HD version. I would hope for an upgrade in standard def. Ideally they'd do both.

They seem to find enough other films to release multiple times in standard def, why not this one?

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator
Well, this is my favourite movie of all time and its present DVD status is deplorable. We're talking VHS quality video here. I'd love Dangerous Liaisons to get the SE treatment.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo