Dangerman

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by kemal, Mar 1, 2006.

1. kemal

kemal Auditioning

Are there any plans fore more Dangerman dvd's?

2. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Are you referring to the Patrick McGoohan spy series of the 1960s, "Danger Man," also known in the U.S. as "Secret Agent?" If so, the series has already been released in its entirety on Region 1 DVDs through A&E Home Video . . . both versions, the original half hour series and the better known (in the U.S.) hour long series. The hour long version is available either as a "Megaset" with all episodes included or as sets of 2 or 3 DVDs with episodes in consecutive order. The half hour series is available in a complete set only.

3. kemal

kemal Auditioning

yes i am referring to the Patrick McGoohan spy series So i have to buy The megaset and season1 to have the complete colllection?I thought there were relasing in season sets?

4. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

You don't have to buy the Megaset to complete the series, but it will save you some money in the long run if you do. A&E has released the series in smaller sets. Sets 1 through 5 have two DVDs and set 6 has 3 DVDs. But outside of the half hour, season 1 set of "Danger Man," there are no season sets; the hour episodes were never released in full season sets. See the available releases here:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/releaselist.cfm?ShowID=4964

5. kemal

kemal Auditioning

I see,so Dangerman season 1 dvd is years 1960-1961,and the The complete Megaset is years 1964-1966.It would be cheaper i think to buy the megaset rather than the sets of A&E.Is there any difference between season 1 episodes and the Megaset episodes is this a whole new show?

6. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

The 39 episodes of season one were 1/2 hour in length. The remaining 47 episodes produced between 1964-66 are 1 hour shows; only the final two are in color. The 1/2 hour episodes are my favorite as they are very tautly written and directed and have the best video transfer quality. McGoohan's character is upbeat, optimistic with a strong sense of moral purpose. This changes over time in the 1 hour shows--we see a gradually disillusioned and more cynical agent who is decidely more acerbic in his speech and mannerisms.

7. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

That's correct.

As I previously mentioned, season 1 is a half hour show and so the big difference is that there is a lot less character development and it's much more action oriented. Also, while Patrick McGoohan plays the character "John Drake" in both shows, in the original half hour show, he plays an American agent of the United Nations. In the later, hour long series, he's a British agent and, because of the longer running time, the pacing of the show is more deliberate and there's much more character development. With the exception of the two episodes of the aborted 4th season (McGoohan was tired of playing the character), all of the episodes were filmed in black & white. The A&E Home Video release for the hour long episodes includes the original British title sequence (Danger Man), although the U.S. title sequence (Secret Agent) is included as a DVD extra for those who want to see that version and listen to Johnny Rivers' hit theme song.

I'm not quite sure whether or not the half hour version was ever broadcast in the U.S. (A&E claims that it wasn't) but, if it was, it would have been a very short run. The hour long version was very successful and made McGoohan a star in the U.S.

The audio/visual quality of both sets is very good but, in typical A&E fashion, very light on the extras . . . the aforementioned U.S. title sequence (for the hour long series), a photo gallery (screen grabs) and a static McGoohan biography/filmography.

I had never seen a single episode of the first series until the DVDs and I actually bought it "blind" on the strength of the hour long shows. Both shows can be considered among the best of the 1960s, in my opinion.

8. kemal

kemal Auditioning

Ok thx i will buy both sets as a big Patrick McGoohan fan

9. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

You will not be disappointed!

10. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Just finished viewing the last of the 1 hour megaset episodes the other day - probably took me upwards of 2 years. Great show; it was a first viewing for me. Will plan on picking up the 1/2 hour episodes.

Doug

11. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    I pretty much made blind buys out of both of these Danger Man series. I've been a fan of THE PRISONER for years, and remembered seeing a SECRET AGENT or two when they ran on CBS all those years ago, but at the time I wasn't all that much of a fan of spy shows. So after finally acquiring all of THE PRISONER on DVD, I thought I'd turn my attention to the SECRET AGENT/DANGER MAN series.

I bought a two-disc set with about six episodes on them, thoroughly enjoyed them and went back for more. After completing that series by buying up all of the available smaller 2-3 disc sets, I began to wonder about the half-hour show.

I bit the bullet and bought the half-hour DANGER MAN set and was gald I did. As mentioned, the stories get told at warp speed, often with McGoohan narrating part of the story to quickly fill in the missing details that they just couldn't fit in. I'm sure that I don't remember that series ever airing over here in the US. If it did, it was perhaps on some regional basis. I don't think it ran on any major network.

At any rate, it's good stuff, and I'm not at all sorry I bought it. For PRISONER fans, it's fun picking up little tidbits that pre-date that series, like guest stars, and even the use of Portmerion ("The Village") in the very first half-hour episode, this time being portrayed as an Italian village.

Harry

12. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

It was on CBS in the spring of 1961, just as CBS first reran The Prisoner in the summer 1968. Both a year+ after those series were produced.

Danger Man's pilot was filmed in 1959 (you have to look closely at the tiny copyright at the end of "Handcuffed", the premiere episode). All the rest of the first season were made in 1960. Then there was a 4 year gap until the show and McGoohan came back in longer form to start the 2nd season. It was interesting to have Drake working solely for the British government in the hour shows Vs. when he was more an independent agent in the earlier 1/2 hour stories.

The original Danger Man had different music too, because jazz in 1959-60 sounded unique to that series compared to the use of harpsichord in the mid 1960s.

13. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

That's one item I missed in stating my preference for season one over seasons 2-4. The use of the harpischord somehow makes the hour shows seem more dated than the 1/2 hour ones. The "antique" like sound does not fit as well, IMO. The original title is also more versatile--within the context of the episodes it highlights Drake's "animal sense of danger" to greater effect.

14. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I also liked the use of photos of big city skyscrapers in the Danger Man first season closing credits. But the use of completely offscreen narration by Drake is what dates those episodes. The hour shows are more suspenseful because he doesn't tell us what he is doing, but rather he just does it. [​IMG]

15. Richard Hardbattle

Richard Hardbattle Stunt Coordinator

Just finished watching the whole of the megaset - A real treat. If you enjoy the older Sean Connery Bonds, like From Russia With Love, this set will be a dream come true.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

16. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I have been renting the Dangerman first series on Netflix and enjoying it. However, rather than renting the rest of the shows, I simply ordered them at a good price from a clearing house called Daedalus.

You can get the whole of the 1/2 hour first season set for $29.98. 5 of the 6 1-hour sets are $9.98 each, with the final 3-disc set going for $12.98. This works out to being way cheaper (less than $100 for the series) than the megaset, or the individual sets on Amazon.

I don't mind the "datedness" of the shows. In fact, I find that part of their charm.

17. chas speed

chas speed Second Unit

I got a great deal on the one hour episodes that I had bought years ago from A&E by selling them on ebay for 140 bucks and then buying the Australian Danger Man 1964-66 complete special edition set on ebay for 85 dollar total. The Australian set made by Madman productions comes with a TON of bonus extras including 2nd audio by four guest actors from the show plus 2nd audio from Danger Man/James Bond director John Glen, a featurette on musician Edwin Astley, old audio interview by Ralph Smart, Koroshi:The feature film plus trailer (it was released as a film somewhere), French main titles, 3 insert booklets incuding original ITC material, Secret Agent promo trailers, production notes, original scripts, ITC story information and Dangerman Annual on DVD-ROM content, original memorabilia gallery and a few of the original CBS commercials for products that took out ads during Secret Agents run. All that and I made 55 bucks. They did manage to screw up the picture quality slightly on one episode "The Man Who Wouldn't Talk", but all other episodes look great. I just made a dub from the A&E version on that one.

18. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Supporting Actor

Let me add my voice to Jeff's in praise of the Madman set - really a superb effort. This series I would love to see on Blu-ray.

19. BobSchneider

BobSchneider Second Unit

I'm a Big Big fan of the Secret Agent/Dangerman series. I got the a&e releases of the hour long episodes and "danger man" mega set that had all the 30min episodes and there great. John Drake was the king of cool in my book when I was a kid. And I honestly enjoy how the spy gadgets were present but they never overwhelmed the show 99% episodes it was Drake's witts , guile and bravery that were the roots to his survival not some bond toy and like real spys drake rarely every used a gun. I'll have to look into the madman set, I got Madmans verison of Ironside s3 and love it so I wouldnt be surprise if they did a great job on the Danger man series too its one of a very few series I consider a double dip on [​IMG]. Get it you love it worth ever penny[​IMG]

20. sestamuch

sestamuch Stunt Coordinator

+1 That would me great.