1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Danger Man : AKA Serect Agent

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidEC, Sep 25, 2001.

1. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator

If you are a fan of the TV show 'The Prisoner' I highly suggest that you check out the A&E release of the show "DANGER MAN", which shows our 'NUMBER 6' as spy John Drake. The set has the first six hour long shows.
    I picked up 'SET 1' from DeepDiscountDVD.com for less than $20. http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ANE070317
    The black and white images are very sharp and the audio is clean. When you take into account the 35+ years old age of the source and most likely was not even thought of storing for this long.
    Of the four shows that I have watched on the two DVD's only one time did the image seem not to match the audio and I feel that the original source must of skipped.
    I do hope that A&E releases at least the show from the "Danger Man" series called the 'Prison'(I think that was the name) where John was sent in to British Spy from a city of retired spys... which you could say was an early version of the 'VILLAGE' later used in the 'PRISONER' series.
    --David

2. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

After being disappointed with the way they handle the Prisoner series, I'll wait until the Danger Man Megaset is available. I was collecting the Prisoner sets at $19.18 a piece and then the Megaset comes along afterwards and it is $85. I know it's only $10, but it's annoying. The SRP difference is almost $50!
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

3. Michael St. Clair

It'll take 8 sets to collect the 1-hour shows, then 3 or 4 more sets if they decide to go back in time 4 years and collect the half-hour shows.
    I can't wait that long!
    [Edited last by Michael St. Clair on September 25, 2001 at 03:36 PM]

4. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    David,
    That proto-PRISONER episode of DANGER MAN was actually entitled "Colony 3".
    I'm glad that DANGER MAN is becoming available on Region 1 DVD, but I'm also waiting for the inevitable mega-set, after buying THE AVENGERS, MONTY PYTHON, and the first batch of THUNDERBIRDS in the 2-disc set installments, since there's such a difference in pricing. That, and the audio problem in Set 2, was what convinced me to wait for the complete PRISONER set.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

6. DavidEC

".... If you mean that John Drake *was* the same character as Number 6, you're incorrect. ...."
    Well I was not really meaning that... but even if everybody say that the two were not the same.. it sure does look that way to this American viewer.. [​IMG]
    Also thanks for the corrected episode name.
    Also if everybody waits for the "MEGA SET" then you might not ever see such a set with out the supporting sales of the smaller packages..
    --David

7. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I got mine. I hope they keep going.
    Martin.

8. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    As I'm from the UK, I grew up with this show as Danger Man. Does the A&E release use the Secret Agent titles, which I have never seen?
    I would much prefer the original titles, myself.
    Bleddyn
    ------------------

9. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

The show should be released in Region 1 with the title that it had when it aired in Region 1.
    If you saw the show in Region 2 (UK) then you should buy the Region 2 DVDs if you must have them just as you saw them.
    But, if you moved to the USA, then changed names for things are just part of the adaptation.
    E.G. I imagine you no longer say that you put on a rubber when it rains. [​IMG]

10. DavidEC

".... Does the A&E release use the Secret Agent titles, which I have never seen? ...."
    The DVD uses the original titles, but has a "MUSIC VIDEO" (for lack of a better way to state it) of the US opening credits, with title song 'Secret Agent Man'
    --David

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

You don't really believe Macgoohan when he says that, do you? I mean, Number Six's name is John....not likely to be a coincidence, is it? Seems obvious to me. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

12. David Lambert

13. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

hmmmm....I thought I read on a site (SIX OF ONE?) that it was to be more or less *inferred* that #6 was simply a continuation of the JOHN DRAKE character.....
    ...as many know, to capitalise on the 007 craze at the time, CBS had the shows title DANGER MAN changed to SECRET AGENT-just so Jonny Rivers could use his song of the same title as an opener! ;-)
    ...Im glad they didnt change THE PRISONER to: 'SECRET AGENT MAN BEING CHASED BY BIG WHITE BALLOONS' or maybe:
    'JOHN DRAKE IN PEPPERLAND' etc...
    quote: "I imagine you no longer say that you put on a rubber when it rains."
    ...youd better, or youre likely to....'catch a death of a...' [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Mark_TS on September 28, 2001 at 02:10 PM]

14. David Lambert

Okay, here we go. I used the handy-dandy digital camera to grab these screenshots from the disc with the episodes A,B,&C and The General.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
    Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
    Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
    http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

[Edited last by David Lambert on September 28, 2001 at 06:39 PM]

15. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

quote: If you mean that John Drake *was* the same character as Number 6, you're incorrect. [/quote]
    "Secret Agent Man....they've given you a number and taken 'way your name...."
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by RobertR on September 28, 2001 at 06:58 PM]

16. David Lambert

17. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

18. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

I don't remember anyone referring to No.6 as John, but in "The Chimes of Big Ben", Nadia calls No.6 Big Ben, to which he correctingly replies, "Big Bill".
    ------------------
    "Who made it?! The Shark!?!"
    Please sign this Hammer Films petition, thanks!
    http://www.petitiononline.com/Hammer/petition.html

19. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Of course, part of the job of a secret agent is the dissemination of false information....Deny everything is standard operating procedure at the CIA, you know.
    The reference to 'John' is in Arrival; I'll have to pull out my R2 disc to find the exact spot for you.
    ------------------

20. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

OK, in the episode 'ARRIVAL', when Nr. 6 returns to his cottage and speaks to Nr. 2 for the first time on the phone, he is greeted with "Good morning, John." On the R2 disc, it's at 9m:08s. After accounting for 4% speedup that should be in the neighborhood of 9m:29s on the US version, if my math is right (no promises there).
    [​IMG]
    Since so much of the content of The Prisoner is about manipulation of information and perception, I can't imagine why you'd expect Macgoohan to be upfront about the John Drake/Nr. 6 issue. Perhaps there are some legal issues relating to the use of the character name that require him to obfuscate the connection. In that case, a "vehement denial" is to be expected. Anyway, the connection seems obvious to me, regardless of the silly trivia questions that A&E puts on their discs, as if that were some sort of authority.
    ------------------