What's new

Danger Diabolik (1 Viewer)

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
Doug Pratt's review of Mario Bava's delirious DANGER DIABOLIK is available to view at DVDLaser.

Personally, I'm waiting for DVD Savant's seal of approval with regards to the audio track, although Pratt makes the image and audio commentary/extras sound really excellent.

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator
I got my copy at the beginning of last week and let me tell you: it's fantastic! This is one of my all-time favourite films and I'm practically welling up with tears at the thought it's on DVD (and my shelf!). Anyone who has any kind of affinity for the weird, the trippy, or even comic-book movies deserves to give this title a shot - and it's so cheap!

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
David, you might want to amend your review to note that, thankfully, the soundtrack on this new DVD is the original theatrical English dub, making its home video debut. The onscreen title is also DANGER: DIABOLIK. The previous Paramount LD and VHS release featured the original Italian title DIABOLIK, as well as a new dub with all voices except for those of Law, Mell, and Terry-Thomas (whose voices are their own on both dubs) redone by different actors. Originally the name of the titular character was pronounced "Dye-a-bol-ik"; on the new dub it's pronounced "Dee-a-bol-ik". The music volume levels were also monkeyed with on the new mix. The Digitally Obsessed review makes no mention of any of this either. DVD Savant wrote an extensive article about DIABOLIK and the details of how the new dub changed the feel of the film, which can be found here:

DANGER DIABOLIK: The Guiltiest Pleasure Of Them All

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Unfortunately for us reviewers, Paramount doesn't send along any of this sort of information with their screeners. Without a personal familiarity of the film, these types of changes are difficult or impossible to research.

For better or worse? "Monkeyed" connotes a negative change to me. So, they improved the dialog dub by restoring it to the original, but negatively impacted the music?

-Scott

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I think he was referring to the "new mix" as the one that was used for the previous LD and VHS release. The DVD appears to feature the *original* mix.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I meant to mention the theatrical mix but forgot to do so. Thanks for the reminder; I'm adding it to my review.

You don't have to have had any extra supplemental material from Paramount to know about it; Tim Lucas mentions it on the commentary.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Has anybody been able to find this in stores? I tried about 3 or 4 places and nobody had it in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks