Danged Power Outage blew out my monitor!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Jan 26, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Of all the wrotten luck..

Power goes out during the snow fall, no biggie. Comes back on 2 minutes later, and everythnig but the Monitor works. And it's a new monitor too. Bought barley 1.5 years ago, to replace my old 17" one that lasted me 5 years when it burnt out.

Two questions..
    1)Is it cheaper to fix, or replace?

2)Can I get an 18" Flat Panel for the same price? [​IMG]

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Why would a power outage blow out your monitor? And just out of curiosity was it connected to a surge protector?

As far as pricing goes you can't even get a decent 15" LCD that costs the same as a 17" CRT. But the viewing size is about the same.

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Yep, Surge Protector is connected, however I can't remember if it needs to be connected to a certain plug on there to be fully protected or not. The one where using is the BackUps Office 280, from Apec.

And I'm not the most technically proficient person around as far as fixing monitors goes. All I know is, one minute the power is on, monitor works. The power goes out for two minutes, and when it returns, everything works except the monitor.

Tried different plugs, in case the blug was somehow damaged, nothing. Tried different wall plugs in different rooms, still no go..

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

It could be as simple as a blown fuse. You might have to open the monitor to get to it though, and there's lethal voltages in there. It's a task best left to someone who knows what they're doing. But if it's just the fuse, you can be back up and running quickly and cheaply.

KJP

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Power surge protectors only protect from surges. They don't protect from brown-outs or complete outages, which can be just as damaging to electronic components as surges. That's why people should swallow a few more bucks and buy a UPS, but that still doesn't give total protection either.

I would not play with the internals of the monitor. It could be anything from a blown fuse to a damaged power supply. Normally, I look at these kinds of things as a sign that it's time to get something new. That might not really be the case, but it makes a great excuse. [​IMG]

6. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

hehe, yes please heed the others advice, a monitor uses a high enough voltage to make a fair sized arc to zap you even if your not touching anything inside of the monitor.

now it does depend on what went in your monitor if any part of the tube went it will be cheaper to buy a new monitor but if the circuitry or just a fuse went then it will be cheap to have it repaired. just make sure you find a guy who's competant and make sure you find out what went so that you don't get over charged for hours of labor that shouldn't have been.

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Before we go out shopping and bargain hunting, a rookie question.

What type of connections does a Flat Panel monitor have? I upgraded my TV Tuner card recently, and I noticed it has a DVI connection, instead of a VGA connection like my old card did, for instance, and I needed a VGA adapter
    for my 19" CRT monitor.

Thanks!

8. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Neil,

I cant answer your specific question, but I guess you determined the old monitor didnt have RESET button somewhere.

I looked at your surge suppressor which is a UPS backup with 3 outlets for UPS and 3 outlets for Always On. Apparently, your monitor was not plugged into the UPS battery side, tho I assume the computer tower was, since you dont mention any problem there. Still, I'm surprised the unit didnt block the surge if that was it when power came back on to the monitor. Check to see if the LED lite still glows for PROTECTION ON or OK

Next time, try plugging the monitor into the battery side. But be aware if the UPS is rated around 450VA like mine, it may reject the monitor power draw. Cant tell until you try it.

When there's a power outage, the idea is then to turn off the connected equipment as soon as possible, like within 3 minutes, for an orderly shutdown while on battery backup.

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Neil- flat panels always come with a VGA input and the higher priced models come with a DVI input. DVI connection is sending a pure digital signal to the monitor and it looks crystal clear, alothugh VGA on an LCD is still pretty sharp.

What TV tuner card comes with a DVI adapter? AIW Radeon?

10. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

11. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Went out last night and we bought a $450(?) 17" Viewsonic Flat Panel. It'll take a while to get used to the screens picture, but I finally have my desk space back [​IMG].

12. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Congratulations NeilV. I just got a Samsung 15" lcd 151V. It looks outstanding!!!