What's new

Dancing With The Stars - Season 8 (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Looking at the top 3 finishers for each US season so far, out of 21 people on the list there are 9 pro athletes (4 of the 7 winners) and 6 singers/ musicians (1 winner). The other 6 are all actors and TV personalities (1 winner).

They could've just started the show a week earlier.

If they were trying to unload a Steve, it worked!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Weirdly enough the elimination shows for this show are becoming must-see TV for me. I'm also a big Chelsie fan, and I don't think I could ever see Katee, the girl who finished ahead of Chelsie on last season of SYTYCD, on DwtS given the dance style requirements on this show (but I wouldn't mind seeing what Katee could do as well, but ballroom just wasn't her thang, like it is for Chelsie).

You have to feel for the pro dancers on this show because for those with lackluster partners, the pro dancers must feel like they are dancing in 1st gear in quicksand, while their elimination numbers allow them to show what they can really do with another capable pro partner.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Pretty hard for the stars to ever get even close to the level of the pros. I don't know the stats on this group, but many of the pros start dancing when they're children, maybe five or six years old. No one is ever going to get to that level even after a few months of practice.

Gilles is doing a pretty good job, I actually thought he was the pro of the pair the first time I saw them. Think the judges rate the stars a little more sensibly, but sometimes are still looking for things most of us wouldn't even notice.

Shawn is definitely relying to much on the athletic gymnastic moves, can't see her going much further. Genetics play a good part in a competition like this, and short and chunky just don't work, can't pull off a lot of the moves.

To bad about Holly, wasn't that bad but that stupid stool screwed everything up. It was to high, so every time she used it, things looked awkward. If it had been a couple inches lower, she would have had a much better outcome.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Lil' Kim & Derek – I totally agreed with Len on this one. Lil Kim's feet hardly left the ground. It was a showpiece, not a true jive (especially on her part).

L.T.& Editya – He had fun, at least. Meh. Editya, though -- wuff.

Ty & Chelsie – Ty had the steps but did not do a proper jive -- point the toes and flick. He got hardly any constructive criticism. It's hard enough to learn the moves but to hear "Your danicng is just plain bad" won't help him stay. Chelsia looked fantastic as usual.

Chuck & Julianne – Chuck sucks. He has no musicality. They rauched it up and used Julianne to cover his lack of natural ability. Loved her stockings.

Gille & Cheryl – The guy is unstoppable. I liked his performance much better than the judges did.

Shawn & Mark – Great job from Shawn this week. Kind of creepy to sex up a 17 year old but I think they straddled that line nicely. Shawn's turns, lines and flexability were her strengths this week. Her dress slimmed her up, as well.

Steve-O & Lacey – He tries so hard but it's brutal. I'm glad he's committed. lacey is such a doll. Gorgeous.

Melissa & Tony – It's official: they look like brother and sister. I like them, though. Melissa is very cute and she moves well. Less ballet, more hips. She'll give Gille a run for his money.

Overall, the Rumba is my least favorite dance routine.

Steve, LT or Ty tonight.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
My wife loves this, and I check it out solely for the incredible T&A to airtime ratio. Part of the competition is clearly fan votes, which will buoy Hough and boyfriend much farther than they deserve.

While my favorite female is Cheryl (who is also the sharpest dancer, imo), I noticed Chelsie last night (from her awesome top to her awesome everything else) in a big way.

I think ya'll are piling on Shawn a bit too much. I agree the sexualization is awkward, but they are doing the best they can. She has a great smile, and a gymnast's body (which come long and tight or short and compact). It's awkward watching her dance, but only because of her age.

Weighing in on the athletes bit...they do have an advantage, which is seen season in and season out. They are probably better equipped for the rhythms and cycles of training and learning physical routines. That is why they do well year in and year out.

Final 3:
Gilles
Shawn
Lil Kim

I think Julianne Hough and Wicks will finally be done just before the final three. Melissa should stay longer, but fan voting matters.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Lil' Kim & Derek – Kim was too reserved. Derek's choreography shines yet again. If she would have let loose, it would have been a scorcher.

L.T.& Editya – Some good moments but not great as a whole. My biggest gripe (besides Editya's outfit) was that it shows how LT is still being led by Editya. His loss of balance in the reveal shows that he is not a good foundation for her. She dances around him.

Ty & Chelsie – He's great in the ballroom styles. He's a strong foundation for Chelsie. He hit his marks. Looked like he had fun, too.

Chuck & Julianne – Chuck is a complete mook but I thought the beginning and middle was his best dancing to date. Julianne is way too skinny, too.

Gille & Cheryl – The first performance that was "meh" for me. Cheryl's outfit looked like a prom dress.

Shawn & Mark – My favorite if the night. Fun and sassy. They had a great time and looked fantastic doing it. Shawn looks very relaxed and poised. Her technique improves each week. She's sharp and strong.

Melissa & Tony – A big comeback after last weeks mishap. She looks like a professional at times and this was a great performance. Her technique is precise and she's left some of the ballet behind and wetn for the real steps. I watched her in the wide shots of the group number and she looked as good as the pro girls. She can move, has great lines and she's so cute. Love them.

LT vs Ty tonight. LT is a goner.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If Chuck and Julianne get the encore dance tonight, I wonder if the boob grab move will re-surface?

Shawn and Mark's dance was really fun stuff, they were really in sync, and Shawn wasn't self-conscious at all.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The dancers during the Celtic Woman performance were ridiculous in terms of strength display within a dance.

I think I'd rather have Ashley Delgrasso back over any of the new kids on the block.

Glad Chelsie is still on this season. Enjoyed Lacey's number.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wow. Looks like there are still plenty of pissed off women at Jason to keep Melissa in the competition, erasing Chuck's 5 point lead from the judges' scores.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Chelsie probably had an inner "Ugh! Another week of dragging Ty around on the dance floor" when Lil' Kim got the boot.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

What a shocker. Ty has a lot of fans. I think he gets some sympathy for getting trashed by the judges. I like him but he can't win. To be honest, Lil Kim couldn't win, either. It's between Gille and Melissa, who looked stunning and performed with aplomb Monday. I'm glad that Shawn did well, too. Should make for a great final.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
This is a pretty good Final Three. I think Gille is too good and has too many fans to lose. I was hoping that Melissa and Tony would peak this week and, although I loved their routines, it was not to be. The same is true for Shawn and Mark. I like all three couples, but I was really pulling for Melissa. She's such a doll.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Free style:

Shawn and Mark's was fun to watch, energetic, and in sync in movement and energy. Mark was the better choreographer this night.

Melissa and Tony's was disjointed because Tony learned the wrong lesson with Stacy Keibler. Tony got too caught up with going for broke that he didn't make sure their routine had enough connective tissue, so it was like trick, reset, trick, stop, trick, which produced no flow.

Gilles and Cheryl's just felt like they were running out the clock, and it elicited no response from me other than competence on the dance floor. It should have been better, more fun, more upbeat. Perhaps if they really needed an 80's tune to dance to, they should have used "Fame", which produced more moments of energy and pizzazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks