What's new

Dancing with the Stars Season 5 thread (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
It's men against women!!

The list doesn't seem that stellar like the years past.
But I'll still be watching.
And I know we have a few dance fans here.

Since I have the national Championships in Dec(here in Vegas) and will be performing my Foxtrot routine, I want to watch the Foxtrot performances.

anyone else feel that this years list isn't as great?

Mon-Season five returns with the women performing either the Cha Cha or the Foxtrot.

Tues-On this second night of performances, the men will dance either the Cha Cha or the Foxtrot.

Wed-The first celebrity is voted off. Who will stay and who will go? Dolly Parton performs.
She will performing three songs, including 9 to 5

This week only, Dancing will be on Mon, Tues and Wed,
then next week returns with just Mon and Tues

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This is low on my priority viewing list (but it's pretty easy to plow through an episode in about 20-30 minutes (or 10 minutes per half hour of show). :) I am not all that interested in the line-up of "stars" this season, either.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
This is the first season I have actually watched this show. I only watched it while I was waiting for Heroes to start. So far I am really enjoying this show. It was fun to watch and to see some of my favorite stars trying their hands at something new.

Last night, Sabrina and Mark just blew me away. She is by trade a dancer, so it seems only obviouse that she would excel at this, but my goodness she was spot on! Hip hop is worlds away from Ballroom and I thought she did amazing.

Looking forward to the men.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Here is my take on mens night with DWTS

1st- Cameron & Edyta- It looks like something happened that there was a misstep half way through.
Good but not great. Good arms

2nd- Mayweather & Karina- mayweather seems stubborn and maybe like a Clyde from last year.
Started out little too fast, and he's moving little weird. Even his expressions and body movements are funky? ...aggresive?

3rd- Julianne Hough & Helio- I liked this one. Lots of good turns and spins. Both moved well.

4th- Albert & Anna- Didn't like the beginning, thought he sold it, just from his moving around, but really didn't have good technique

5th- Mark Cuban & Kym- LOVED THIS SONG! I didn't like his dancing.

6th- Wayne Newton & Burke- Wayne didn't move enough. Didn't even seem like Cha-Cha. Just alot of pointing fingers and swaying the arms.

My favorite from tonight is Hough and Helio

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Cubes would be better suited for Karaoke Dancing with the Stars, his mouthing of words was annoying during their dance, but he lucked out getting Kym.

What is it with these guys and bad wheels (soap opera dude and Cubes)? I was cringing, hoping they didn't hurt themselves during their performances.

Model dude was hilariously over-the-top, but his dancing is top-heavy, not as much going on downstairs.

Mayweather needs to stop stooping when he's dancing with Karina, he looked odd in spots.

I feared for Newton's heart after seeing him with all that sweat in his workouts with Cheryl.

Helio will go far if he can get a consistent fanbase behind him because he's got a great partner with Julianne, and he can actually move as well.

----

Alec did as much as he could to hide Josie's dancing deficiencies, but she's probably the top candidate to get the boot.

Sabrina was really good, but did she have a baby recently, or just naturally thick in the middle?

Jane was good, but I suspect she'll be like Tatum O'Neal, good in the ballroom stuff, bad in the latin dances.

Marie looked clumsy to me in her turns and overall movement.

Jenny was actually decent, moved well, but lacked the snap in her moves, but I think that's correctable.

Scary won't be as good as Leila with Maksim, but she'll bring a different vibe to their dance partnership.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Was it just coincidence that after each time Tom would bring up the "one couple will be eliminated" segment, the camera would cut to a shot of Josie? Now I can't say that this happened every time, nor do I know off the top of my head how many "one couple eliminated" segments there were in all on Tues/Wed., but I do recall that on two separate occasions the camera would cut to Josie right after Tom said his "eliminated" line.

Speaking of Josie--IMHO it seemed to me that the fact that she was completely uncomfortable w/ ballroom dancing showed in her body language; I mean, you could tell she was trying to look/act positive and gleeful but if there was anyone in that group that definitely looked/felt/acted uncomfortable out there--Josie was the most obvious of the group. The fact that she didn't really say much at the end--and what little she did say seemed to come out a bit "forced" in her delivery--only reinforces my observation of her stay w/ DWTS.

Anyways--who do you think is the front-runner...and who do you think is the dark horse this season? I know it's difficult to assess after just one week, but my choice for front-runner is Helio (I did consider Sabrina as my choice but I think she may not do as well at the "slower" dance routines--flash may get you far into the later rounds but unless she seriously sticks to the correct routine, it'll be her downfall in the later rounds); for dark horse I'll go out on a limb and say Mel at this point, only because she does have potential and I had to throw a female contestant into the mix. ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Helio and Julianne provide the best 2 minutes of this show each week, but Sabrina and Scary Spice are doing well at the start of the competition. The rest is basically cannon fodder to stretch out the show.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Maybe it's just me, but after watching the first four weeks of this season it almost seems that ABC doesn't want Sabrina to be eliminated...or to put it another way--they seem to be making it a bit difficult for her to lose. I'm not taking anything away from her dancing--she deserves to have made it this far based on her dancing alone--but has anyone noticed that, of the two dances that are performed each week, she seems to wind up w/ the "faster"-paced of the two dances (yes I know the contestants don't get to choose which dance they wish to perform/learn)? Consider the dances she's had to do so far:

Week 1: Cha Cha (instead of Foxtrot)
Week 2: Quickstep (instead of Mambo)
Week 3: Jive (instead of Tango)
Week 4: Paso Doble (instead of Viennese Waltz)

Note that each week, the dance she had to do was the faster-paced one, relative to the other one.

This week the dances are the Samba and the Rumba...if she winds up having to do the Samba--a relatively faster-paced dance compared to the Rumba--then my "consipiracy theory" still holds water.

Again--I'm not taking anything away from her superb dance performances so far, but is it just sheer coincidence that the dances she's had to do so far just so happen to fit her dance "style"--namely that of a fast-paced routine? After all, she does have some dancing experience--having performed in concert as part of the Cheetah Girls song-and-dance act...which BTW (if I take the conspiracy theory even further) is a production run by Disney (or more accurately, The Walt Disney Company)...which just happens to also own the ABC Television network...which DWTS airs on. Again, I'm not saying that Disney is setting her up to win...but IMHO I don't think it farfetched for Disney to "see" to it that she goes very far in the competition.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But, eventually, Sabrina will be saddled with the slower dances, plus every season has cannon fodder for the contestants, so if Sabrina lasts more then 6-8 weeks, it's because she has danced her butt off in the dances she was tasked with learning each week.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I still can't believe that Mark Cuban is still around. Him and Wayne were the two worst week after week. I think even the judges are in disbelief that he's still hanging around. Scary Spice is WAY better than Mark. Unlike American Idol where you have to MAKE your fan base, these celebrities already have a bulit-in fan base, so even if you stink you can still escape elimination.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Not to add credence to the Sabrina conspiracy theory (not saying you believe it Tony), but I have noticed something else. I have a seven year-old daughter, so the Disney Channel gets quite a bit of play at our place. Anyway, a fairly common spot for them involves Sabrina and her experience being on the show. At one point, she points out that the judges' score is only part of her total so her fans need to watch and call. I don't believe any of the other contestants are going out of their way or being given the opportunity to get extra votes. Anyway, I am just putting this out there for people who are interested.

On a slightly related note, the Disney relationship for the show has been going on for a few seasons. They have had the one actress from High School Musical on as well as Billy Ray Cyrus (father of Hannah Montana). Seems like a fair amount of cross-promotion going on.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That was pretty scary. Len was giving his comments, and suddenly she was on the floor, completely motionless. They then cut to a *very* long commercial break.

When they came back, she was standing again, but was obviously either very freaked out or still not feeling well (or both). I wonder if she'll continue.

Did anyone else notice when, after they got their scores (all 7s IIRC), Samantha said "well, if you thought that'd get you 10s, it didn't work!" Talk about a lame attempt at being funny! I couldn't believe she actually said that.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
So did anyone watch it on the east coast when it was live? My parents live on the east and they said it didn't go to a commercial right away.

I guess this is why this show is so popular. Unexpected things can happen.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I saw it last night. She was very chatty after her routine, talking fast. She seemed like she was trying to catch her breath. She dropped like a rock. Everyone was initially startled. Audience members in balcony leaning over and gasping. After a few seconds, host (I don't usually watch this my wife happened to have it on) asked for a commercial break. I think he asked a couple times then they cut to a long commercial set.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm tired of Carrie-Anne and her "no lifts" cop routine. We get it, you are strict about it, fine. Just deduct the point and stop mentioning it over and over again.

The faint was so sudden. Since I recorded it, I just zipped through the long commercial break.

Is it me, or does Samantha sound a half octave lower in her speaking voice after giving birth?

Helio danced like he was constipated, or something.

Marie was a little clumsy in her turns at times, not a lot of snap in her steps. Does Jonathan wear a hair system or something?

Jennie is still holding back a just a little bit, plus the stamina issue came into play this evening.

Mark is this season's Jerry Springer, entertaining even if the actual dancing is average.

Mel tore it up tonight. Could we see Geri next season on DWTS?

Cameron was good again, in spite of what Lift Policewoman Inaba continues to hammer home.

Sabrina was solid as always, even on a dance that made her a little uncomfortable.

Jane is very light and graceful in terms of holding the lines, but I suspect the dances that require a lot of quick steps and power will prove to be a challenge for her.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I saw it live. It was a few seconds after Marie fainted before they cut away, but it wasn't that long. The director probably reacted as fast as he/ she reasonably could.

They probably waited until they were pretty sure she wasn't immediately getting up.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Well my conspiracy "theory" was good while it lasted...maybe ABC "heard" me and decided to make me out to be a fool by having Sabrina do the Rumba... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks