What's new

Dancing with the Stars - season 2 (1 Viewer)

danak

Second Unit
I didn't have time last night to watch all the dances so I saw only Drew's and Stacy's and I thought they both did great. I really liked watching the professionals dance.

I'm finding I really don't like group dances, as I would prefer to focus on individual couples and I can't do that when everyone is on the floor

Who the heck is responsible for the awful song choices? The one for Drew seemed to work really well, but many times the song just doesn't fit well with the dance.

Dana in MD

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For some reason, I thought Stacy looked too tall in the jive dancing with Tony, she was scrunching down at times. But I still enjoyed the hell out of their performance.

I don't know if it'll be George or Jerry that goes home, but I think George will be sent dancing into that good night tonight.

I didn't think Lisa was as "light" on her feet as she could have been, maybe it was the outfit she was wearing that obscureed her legs.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Well, Patrick--your suspicions were correct; honestly (and IMHO), I'm surprised George lasted as long as he did. Not to say that he should have been gone before P, but that apparently he was popular enough to last 6 weeks.

I'm thinking this week Jerry will be eliminated...solely based on my theory that, based on last season, soap opera starlets apparently have a lot of fans rooting/voting for them.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I suspect the order of non-elimination is the ordinal combined vote total, and if that were the case, then Jerry has a big fanbase calling in because he was in the top 3 last week.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Well that was last week... ;)

I'd even go out on a limb and say that if Drew and Stacy weren't in the competition, Lisa would probably be the last one standing. I mean, honestly--how many people would have wagered after watching the first few shows from last season that Kelly Monaco would win it all (dance-off results notwithstanding)?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, Jerry was definitely the worst of the 4 tonight, but strangers things have happened, and it's possible Lisa could still go home.

Both Cheryl and Drew, and Stacy and Tony were pretty much on their game, and Lisa and Louis weren't far behind.

Wonder how Bergeron will do tomorrow night as he gets to dance with Ashley.

Len's "Hardened Artery" was hilarious.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I think Stacy is technically quite good, but she seems incapable of displaying any kind of passion in her dancing. She can hit the moves but the joy of dancing, of being in the moment, eludes her. I felt nothing from her cha cha... any other dancer (Anna, Lisa or Cheryl) would have had the audience gasping.

I'm hoping that the point deficit between Jerry and everybody else ensures he is going home tomorrow night. I got constant busy signals trying to call in to vote for Lisa & Louis through out the broadcast, so I hope that's a good sign.

On a side-note: My gaydar must be on the fritz because I was just about floored when Anna said she was married to Jonathan! :D

danak

Second Unit
Is Cheryl really only 21? She appears to be a great dancer and a really good choreographer. If she's really that young, she has a number of years of a great career ahead of her. Heck, she seems to have chemistry with everyone we've seen here dancing with this season. Does anyone know what her heritage is? She looks black with possibly a bit of Asian thrown in as far as I can tell, but I'm not really sure. Not really important but I'm curious.

Another question: Between this show and the recent Ballroom Championships on PBS, there appears to be an overrepresentation of Eastern Europeans, epecially Russian, in Ballroom Dancing. Is there a particular reason for this?

Dana

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Well, given that quite a few of the best figure skaters are from Eastern Europe/Russia...I guess it shouldn't be much of a surprise that these nations can produce similarly-talented ballroom dancers.

Now that the results are in...was anyone surprised that Jerry made it to the finals? I know I was; that, and I felt bad for Lisa--once Jerry was announced as making it to the finals, I reckon that Lisa must have surmised that it was the end of the road for her. I mean--having to be one of the last two, and (in all likelyhood) already knowing in her mind that she'd be eliminated must have sucked...but that's just my humble opinion.

Also--does anyone think that the "new" finals format--3-way instead of the final two like last season--was done so as to possibly remove any thoughts about conspiracy theories or stuff like that? Also interesting is that the last two shows (dance-off and results) will both be two hours long--I could be wrong but I don't think either show was that long last season, no?

Anyone willing to handicap the odds on who's gonna win it all this Sunday? My money's on Drew--I think out of the three remaining, he has the majority of "support" from the judges (Carrie-Anne and Len seem to more favor Drew, while Bruno seems to more favor Stacy)...plus it "feels" like the audience is behind Drew more than they are for Stacy (relatively speaking). Yeah that's not necessarily indicative of how the fan voting will go but if it were, then again I'd say Drew will be the champion.

Of course, all of the above isn't to say that there is no way Jerry can absolutely win it--he could dance a perfect dance (actually, two) while the others just "mail-in" their performances. That, combined with my thinking quite a few fans will vote for him just for the sheer fact that he's now the underdog no one expects to win, could possibly allow Jerry to steal the championship...IMHO!:D

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I think Drew has this in the bag. I was really disappointed by the results from the latest vote. From a technical standpoint it should be Lisa instead of Jerry.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
How exactly are the fan votes calculated into the final "score" which determines who gets to move on (or, who gets eliminated...for you glass half-full/half-empty folks ;) )? Are the votes weighted in any way? I would imagine that they would have to be--otherwise it would be easy to flood a contestant or contestants w/ tons of votes. I reckon the vote weighting formula is probably based on their ranking after receiving the judges' scores--e.g., if Drew received the highest total judges' scores, each of his votes would be worth full value (e.g., 1 vote = 1 point); if Stacy was second, then her votes would be worth slightly less than Drew's (e.g., 1 vote = 0.8 point), but more than those received by the contestants who scored lower than she did.

If indeed they're using a formula similar to the one I just mentioned...boy, Jerry must have received a gazillion votes in order to have overcome that huge point differential between him and Lisa.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I would have thought since 50% of the score is from the judges, then the viewer voting (calling/internet) counts for the other 50%, the viewer voting is divvied up by the total votes cast for all the contestants and assigned a score based on their portion of the votes.

Say for 60 points was the max from the judges, then base the highest vote total as a ceiling of 60 points, and then the other contestants get a score proportionate to the highest vote total.

If 100 votes were cast amongst 3 contestants, and the highest vote total was 44, the next was 33, and last was 23, then 1st place gets 60 points, 2nd place get 45 point, and last place gets about 31 points. Add the points to the judges point total, and the aggregate score for each contestant determines their place.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Don't forget, unlike American Idol, each home voter is limited to an amount of votes equal to the number of contestants per phone line and 1 internet vote per account.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think Stacy might have been too tall for Tony to be doing the lifts. Anna is much easier to throw around for Jerry, and Drew's lifts of Cheryl weren't always clean because he's also not a tall guy (w/r/t Cheryl's height). I think if you keep the lifts restriction, Stacy fares a little better.

So Stacy and Tony probably got out-choreographed tonight by Drew and Cheryl tonight in the free style, and that may be all the difference needed to win Drew and Cheryl the crown for this season.

But I think Drew might have lost the Brokeback vote...

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
I think Jerry proved that he deserved to be in the Final Three tonight. Coming into tonight I thought Stacey had this all wrapped up but I agree with the judges that their freesyle was disappointing. As for Drew, he just got my vote. Their freestyle was amazing and Cheryl just looked so hot.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Wow was I underwhelmed!!! I totally didn't expect the other teams to hand the contest over to Drew & Cheryl so easily. D&C showed the other teams exactly what they should have been doing in the freestyle competition. For Stacey to recapture the leader spot in the Judges portion Sunday night, she would have to beat Drew by a margin of at least 5 points. Basically, he & Cheryl would have to go down in flames (but boy were they on *fire* tonight).

Anyone watching who votes from a technical standpoint has to give it up for Drew & Cheryl.

I feel he proved just the opposite: that Lisa deserved to be there. His freestyle dance was the most bizarre, freakiest thing I have seen in some time. He may have given his best dance of the competition before this, but he only got a 26, something Lisa & Louis were doing routinely. I can only imagine what they could have done in the finals.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Stacy was really disappointing. She is certainly capable of acrobatic movements (she does a cartwheel and flipping move across the ring). I think her partner is to be blamed for not coming up with a better routine.

Drew rocked.

~T

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Dammit to hell! I can't believe the public vote went the way it did!!!

3rd place:
Stacy and Tony - both of whom showed a lot of class in defeat.

Unbelievable!

Master P could have been dancing in another zip code, it would not have matter, he was so out of step with Ashley.

Kenny Mayne continues to crack me up with his "dancing".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks