Dances with Wolves subtitles - burnt-in or player-generated ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sven Lorenz, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz Supporting Actor

Are the subtitles for the native american language on the new 'Dances with Wolves' edition burnt-in or player-generated ?
    I've looked at every review I could find but not a single one mentioned the subtitles.

2. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

All of the Lakota Sioux and Pawnee dialog in the Dances With Wolves SE are burned in during the film, as on the original releases of the theatrical version. The English subtitles are player-generated.

3. norman j

norman j Agent

There is no subtitles on any of the english subtitles on any of the extras [​IMG]

4. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl

5. Sven Lorenz

I've bought 'Dances with Wolves' from Canada and the subtitles are player-generated - like Christian said.
    Is there any way that maybe the US version has burnt-in subtitles and the Canadian version has player-generated sub-titles so the french-speaking Canadians can turn the french subtitles on ?
    It's not that difficult to recognize the difference between burnt-in and player-generated - so could someone who has the US version please tell me what their subtitles are like ?
    I'd sell my Canadian version on eBay and buy the US version just to get rid of those ugly player-generated subtitles.

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I have the US version and the subtitles are definitely player-generated.

7. Sven Lorenz

Why did they do this ? [​IMG]
    Maybe it's just my DVD player - but player-generated subtitles look terrible. That bland generic font and the placement (half in the black bars, half inside the picture) really annoy me and completely take me out of the movie.
    If they can use burnt-in subtitles for Lord of the Rings, Rush Hour or Shanghai Noon for example - why can't they use them on Dances With Wolves ?

8. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    To be honest, I didn't find it so bad with DWW, because watching in anamorphic mode the subs were all in the picture. At least they didn't replace the crawl before the end credits with player generated subs like they sometimes do on some R2 titles. That's what really gets me mad!

Chris

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

They do this so they can release multilingual discs without having subtitles on top of subtitles. I agree that the player generated subs don't look as good, but if you were reading French subs, they would be on top of the burned in English subs.

10. Sven Lorenz

Where is the American 'Everybody-Speaks-English-Anyway-Egomania' when you need it ? :wink:

11. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Yep, the R1 subtitles are player-generated. And they look ghastly as usual. Thanks MGM! :-(

The sound quality's not all that good (read: powerful) either. And my disc came with one of those marks/scratches that a lot of other people have reported. Seems to play ok though.

Tut.

John

12. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Well, on my copy of the disc all of the Lakota Sioux subtitles are burned in and automatically appear on screen, as was the case with the original theatrical version. The English subtitles are player-generated because I have to select them on the subtitle option on the remote.

Or as someone once said, Duh....

13. Sven Lorenz

Sorry - but they're not burned-in, they're just automatically turned on.
    The easiest way to check this is to watch a scene with subtitles in double-speed - if the subtitles were burned-in they would still be there because they're part of the picture, player-generated subtitles are not displayed when you double-speed the picture (at least on my player).
    You should be very happy with your player if you can't tell between burned-in and generated subtitles - on my Sony the player-generated subtitles really stand out like a sore thumb.
    [​IMG]