What's new

Dances With Wolves SE 2 disc in april 2003 (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
from today 's http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
We know some of you have been looking forward to this title for a long time. So here's the deal. MGM's Dances with Wolves: Collector's Edition is tentatively slated for April release to DVD. Look for a 2-disc edition featuring approximately 6 hours and 20 min of running content. We've confirmed the following specs. You'll get the extended director's cut of the film in anamorphic widescreen video (2.35:1 aspect ratio), Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, audio commentary with director Kevin Costner and producer Jim Wilson, a second audio commentary with DP Dean Semler and editor Neil Travis, a 28-minute "making of" featurette, a 70-minute documentary, an original music video, a Dances scrapbook, a poster art gallery, an Easter egg and several TV spots and trailers.
this is absolutely great news

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
So no theatrical cut? And I suppose no commentary from the Image release?

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
This has been confirmed to be the 4 hour cut for some time, so this news doesn't surprise me. As for the Image commentary, it wouldnt make sense putting a commentary for the theatrical cut on the director's cut version. I already have the Image DTS disc and plan on keeping it... I can't wait for this disc. I can finally retire my VHS director's set box.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps the commentary from the Image DVD will just be expanded with new comments? Being a completist, I'd hate it if I held out on the Image release in anticipation of this SE, only to have to get it anyway for a different commentary...

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
This has been confirmed to be the 4 hour cut for some time...
Actually we were previously told that it would be both cuts of the film.
Looks like I'll have to start searching for the Image DVD. Rats!

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Costner has previously stated his dislike for the 'extended version'. I had it on LD & thought it made the movie even better. I'm surprised he's allowing the 'extended version' on DVD.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Costner has previously stated his dislike for the 'extended version'. I had it on LD & thought it made the movie even better. I'm surprised he's allowing the 'extended version' on DVD.
I agree. I have the extended VHS version and I didn't see how it detracted from or added too much to the movie at all. If anything, it explained a lot more, not the least of which is the explanation for the condition of Ft. Sedgewick. Oh, well. I'm curious as to his reasons.

I'm going to have to hold onto my theatrical DVD now. I still don't understand why seamless branching is not involved with this.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
John, another reason the 'extended version' is better is there's a scene (my memory is failing me a little here) in which the Sioux have killed some Union troops (or something like that) & Costner's character doesn't join the post-celebration. He hasn't quite become Sioux nor has he abandoned his role as a soldier.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
My friend had the Ld and was a big fan of the extended cut. Ive never seen it.

Bill Hunt

Insider
Just FYI to all, these audio comentaries are NEWLY recorded. So if you want anything related to the Image discs, you'll have to get them on the secondary market.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Just FYI to all, these audio comentaries are NEWLY recorded. So if you want anything related to the Image discs, you'll have to get them on the secondary market.
I see.

Is it only the DTS version that has the commentary, or do both version have it?

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the DD Image release and the DTS Image release, so it now looks like I'll have my third version of DWW. At least this will be the director's cut, which I have never seen and am looking forward to. It looks like a great disc(s).

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I've wanted to be able to replace my VHS tapes of the Director's Cut on DVD forever - glad to here it is finally coming! :D
My favorite scene that is in the longer cut is when Kicking Bird and Dances With Wolves go to the sacred place. Just gets me in the gut how terribly the Native Americans were treated. :frowning:

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I really love my DTS Image discs. Dont know if the extra features on this release will be worth the additional purchase.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
I'm with Rob....my DTS Dances with Wolves is one my most prized DVDs. I think I'll be hanging onto this one and I won't be purchasing the new special edition (unless the price blows me away).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
PaulP-

I have the Dolby Digital DVD of Dances With Wolves and it does indeed have the audio commnentary by Costner and Jim Wilson. I begrudgingly put off buying the DTS version because of the commentary. Costner does comment about the extended version, particularly during the Fort Hayes sequence regarding a lengthier sequence with the slightly looney Major showing him really go nuts.

Out of curiousity I checked my Extended Version of Dances with Wolves on LD for a commentary. Nothing there. This cut is the 236 minute version.

I agree with the above posters, the extended version enriches the story and characters.

Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks