Dances With Wolves SE 2 disc in april 2003

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, Sep 30, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

from today 's http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
    We know some of you have been looking forward to this title for a long time. So here's the deal. MGM's Dances with Wolves: Collector's Edition is tentatively slated for April release to DVD. Look for a 2-disc edition featuring approximately 6 hours and 20 min of running content. We've confirmed the following specs. You'll get the extended director's cut of the film in anamorphic widescreen video (2.35:1 aspect ratio), Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, audio commentary with director Kevin Costner and producer Jim Wilson, a second audio commentary with DP Dean Semler and editor Neil Travis, a 28-minute "making of" featurette, a 70-minute documentary, an original music video, a Dances scrapbook, a poster art gallery, an Easter egg and several TV spots and trailers.
    this is absolutely great news

2. PaulP

PaulP Producer

So no theatrical cut? And I suppose no commentary from the Image release?

3. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

This has been confirmed to be the 4 hour cut for some time, so this news doesn't surprise me. As for the Image commentary, it wouldnt make sense putting a commentary for the theatrical cut on the director's cut version. I already have the Image DTS disc and plan on keeping it... I can't wait for this disc. I can finally retire my VHS director's set box.

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Perhaps the commentary from the Image DVD will just be expanded with new comments? Being a completist, I'd hate it if I held out on the Image release in anticipation of this SE, only to have to get it anyway for a different commentary...

5. Rain

Rain Producer

6. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Costner has previously stated his dislike for the 'extended version'. I had it on LD & thought it made the movie even better. I'm surprised he's allowing the 'extended version' on DVD.

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

8. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

John, another reason the 'extended version' is better is there's a scene (my memory is failing me a little here) in which the Sioux have killed some Union troops (or something like that) & Costner's character doesn't join the post-celebration. He hasn't quite become Sioux nor has he abandoned his role as a soldier.

9. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

My friend had the Ld and was a big fan of the extended cut. Ive never seen it.

10. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Insider
    Insider

Just FYI to all, these audio comentaries are NEWLY recorded. So if you want anything related to the Image discs, you'll have to get them on the secondary market.

11. PaulP

PaulP Producer

12. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    how can it be the Directors Cut if they director doesn't like it? I'll be keeping my DTS Image disc.

13. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

I bought the DD Image release and the DTS Image release, so it now looks like I'll have my third version of DWW. At least this will be the director's cut, which I have never seen and am looking forward to. It looks like a great disc(s).

14. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I've wanted to be able to replace my VHS tapes of the Director's Cut on DVD forever - glad to here it is finally coming! [​IMG]
    My favorite scene that is in the longer cut is when Kicking Bird and Dances With Wolves go to the sacred place. Just gets me in the gut how terribly the Native Americans were treated. [​IMG]

15. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I really love my DTS Image discs. Dont know if the extra features on this release will be worth the additional purchase.

16. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

I'm with Rob....my DTS Dances with Wolves is one my most prized DVDs. I think I'll be hanging onto this one and I won't be purchasing the new special edition (unless the price blows me away).

17. PaulP

PaulP Producer

18. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

PaulP-

I have the Dolby Digital DVD of Dances With Wolves and it does indeed have the audio commnentary by Costner and Jim Wilson. I begrudgingly put off buying the DTS version because of the commentary. Costner does comment about the extended version, particularly during the Fort Hayes sequence regarding a lengthier sequence with the slightly looney Major showing him really go nuts.

Out of curiousity I checked my Extended Version of Dances with Wolves on LD for a commentary. Nothing there. This cut is the 236 minute version.

I agree with the above posters, the extended version enriches the story and characters.

Nelson

19. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

Nelson is correct the DD version most definitely has the commentary.

20. PaulP

PaulP Producer