Dances With Wolves OOP? You MUST Be Kidding!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Tomlin, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Sorry if this is old news to everyone, but last night I checked a couple of my favorite online DVD suppliers to order Dances With Wolves (DTS). I discovered that this disc is OUT OF PRODUCTION!
    Are you kidding me? Why would a great movie like this, with beautiful cinematography and great soundtrack, which are perfect for DVD, be OOP?
    I can't imagine that DVD sales of this title were weak. Certainly there would be money to be made (and continue to be made as more people purchase DVD player)on this title.
    What's the deal? [​IMG]
    Looks like my only option now is to buy it used somewhere.

2. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
  3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

My guess is that Image's license is probably up, the same as it was on that huge stack of Universal titles earlier in the year (Sixteen Candles, Weird Science, Flash Gordon, Mask, Silent Running, Midway, Ghost Story, etc.).
    Since it's an Orion release, I'm sure MGM has it now.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by David Lambert on September 03, 2001 at 05:03 PM]

4. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    If you have a multiregion player, it is still available in UK, and does have the DTS soundtrack

5. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

If MGM now have the rights to this movie, can we expect (yet another) re-release?
    How was the video transfer? Any room for improvement by MGM?

6. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

If you don't mind spending a little more money, I am sure that you could still find one at a local Suncoast. Try calling around.
    ------------------
    -Dwayne
    "And vidi films I would."

7. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

A friend of mine in Cleveland picked a DTS copy up for me at Best Buy just a month ago, so there may still be a few out there. It was priced at $22.99.
    The video quality on the DD and DTS versions are both excellent. The DD version was THX-approved.
    MGM does, in fact, have the rights to this now and will be releasing there own version sometime in 2002. However, MGM isn't a big DTS supporter, so I don't know if you'll see a DTS re-release or not.

8. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

The current DTS version of Dances With Wolves is very nice. It has a full length commentary, anamorphic transfer, and a full-bit rate DTS track which is outstanding. If you can find the DTS version anywhere, I would pick up a copy. There is a good chance it will never see the light of day again on DVD, and will quickly become somewhat of a collectors item.
    J

9. Matt Giggey

Matt Giggey Stunt Coordinator

All OOP means to me is that we can expect a new, even better release in the near future. Sounds like good news to me.
    ------------------
    My Collection

10. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

11. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

To further expand on what Dwayne said, this was one of the first DTS releases (maybe the first), which was done by DTS themselves. Alot of attention and detail were given to these early mixes, unlike some of the tracks found today.
    This is one of the handful of DTS discs I have listened to where I could hear a substantial improvement over the DD version (due to the attention given to the mix).
    The video quality is generally superb throughout due to the utilization of two discs for this film on DTS. All in all it is a great package.
    J

12. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    They could bring the long version... [​IMG]
    Cees

13. Matt Giggey

Matt Giggey Stunt Coordinator

14. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

15. AdrianOC

AdrianOC Stunt Coordinator

I think it was previouosly mentioned that MGM would be releasing the theatrical cut and NOT the extended version.
    They should be shot.
    Multiple times! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
    "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
    (I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
    My DVD List

16. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

Rob,
    My local Suncoast still has a copy of the DTS Dances with Wolves if you want it and don't mind paying full retail, I could pick it up for you. (As a funny note, I actually bought this copy when I heard it was OOP, but a day later Best Buy had in stock for $10 less, so I took it back to Suncoast and it has been there ever since.)
    I agree with Cees. The only way this gets any better is if they release the unedited, nearly 4 hour, copy of Dances with Wolves that was on Laser Disc.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

17. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

In all fairness to MGM, the 4 hour cut of Dances with Wolves is not how Kevin Costner wanted the film to be shown. The 3 hour version of the movie is his intended "director's cut". I have the 4 hour version on widescreen VHS, and will be the ONLY VHS tapes I will hold onto. I do own the DTS Image Dances with Wolves, and have many times contemplated getting the German DVD that has the 4 hour version, however theres two things keeping me from getting this.
    I do not have a multi region DVD player with PAL capability, and the German disc is a 4 hour movie on a single disc. There must be quite a few compression artifacts all over the disc. The Image DTS version looks stunning, and I already own it on VHS, so Im not going to go through all the hassle of getting it on DVD only to have a lesser quality version.
    As it stands now, I have no intention on buying a MGM re-release unless the 4 hour version does become available. I'll buy it, but I would want to hold onto my Image DTS set.

18. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

AdrianJ-
    How much is Suncoast charging for this title (DTS Version)?
    Thanks!

19. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Me, I was very determined to get this one on DTS DVD as soon as I got the chance.
    As I finally did, picking up my copy in May 2000 on sale for $28 from a Virgin Megastore (at 20% off.)
    It was truly a wonderful listening--and viewing--experience. Kevin Costner truly did an outstanding job on this one.
    In fact, I liked Dance With Wolves so much...that I also have the Limited Edition LD Collector's Box Set with the 58-extra minutes included. When my Onkyo TX-DS797 HT 6.1 Receiver comes through in November, this shall be the one I use to test the waters of Dolby Pro Logic II.
    And be it that the previously-released DVD came complete with audio commentary from Producer Jim Wilson AND kevin Costner himself, this, I suppose, would give me, in some respects, full coverage of sorts. [​IMG] And, IMHO, I truly like that.
    ------------------
    The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

20. Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich Stunt Coordinator

~ thanx for the post Rob, I've been sweeping DWW Dts under the rug for purchase because I own the LD, but your post reminded me to get on it.
    I went on a hunt today and found a new copy about 25 miles away for $26.24. If you haven't hooked up a copy yet e-mail me because they have a couple more copies stashed away.
    bodymov'n [​IMG]
    ------------------