What's new

Dances with Wolves DTS - Question about subtitles and audio (1 Viewer)

David Dennison

Second Unit
I received my new Dances with Wolves - DTS DVD this weekend, one of my favorite movies of the past two decades. I have heard so many people rave about the quality of the DTS track that I was really excited to watch this. I noticed a lot more background static especially at the beginning and then at various times throughout the movie. It bothered me at first, but I think I got used to it. I think it gives the movie more of a theater feel. The other thing I noticed about the sound was that it felt muted during the buffalo hunt scene and a later battle scene. I can't remember if this was how the original sounded. Otherwise, the clarity was pretty good, and the movie had a great picture.

My biggest complaint was with the subtitles. I am pretty sure the movie originally had subtitles under most of the Sioux speaking scenes (and there are a lot of these scenes). The only way I could get English subtitles to appear was to turn them on in the main menu. However, this became very distracting during the English speaking scenes.

Could any DWW-DTS owners please comment on the audio and the subtitles?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Your DVD player should automatically select the subtitles to appear during the sioux scenes. In your DVD player setup menu, you should have the subtitles set to "ORIGINAL" instead of "off". Thats my best guess as to why you are not getting subtitles.

In regard to the audio, DWW was made before DTS was in existance, so my guess is that the hiss you are hearing is due to the magnetic audio used for the films multichannel theatrical exhibition. Just a guess.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Some of the subtitles appear and disappear way too quickly. You can barely read what is being spoken. Was it this way in the theatre?

David Dennison

Second Unit
I have my DVD player (RP91) set for automatic subtitles. I have never had this problem with other movies.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I don't recall hearing any "hiss" on my DTS version of DWW. I think the soundtrack is superb. The clarity in the subtle detailed sounds are incredible, and it really creates a feeling of spaciousness!

I've never had any problems with the Sioux subtitles either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks