What's new

Dances With Wolves....4-Disc Release w/ DTS and Both Versions....Region 0?? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok, just to be sure.
these versions of bhd and dances are both playable on reg 1 players and are ntsc?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Yes, they are NTSC and playable on Region 1 players. I just watched both before to try them out, and they play perfect. These two versions are available only in Korea (Region 3), but Dances with Wolves is All Region, and Black Hawk Down is Region 3, but since it is a Superbit title from over there, it plays in Region 1 players. I forget how this works again, but it has something to do with the Superbit that are NTSC being all region (unless they are from another region and have that RCE thing). But that only applies to superbits like Air Force One that are from places like Region 3. Like I said, I can't remember how it works exactly, but I can say for certain these two will play on Region 1 players.

Some sites like www.koreandvds.com and http://us.yesasia.com/en/Index.aspx may say that these two titles are Region 3, but they are Region 0, or all Region. I got mine from koreandvds.com and I had no problems at all. If you do decide to order these, I would get them from here. They are the cheapest that I was able to find and ship to the U.S. The shipping prices, at least for the best service, may be a little steep, but it's worth it. I paid a total of $78 for them, and was able to trade/sell the previous versions I had with no problem. Hope this helps....

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Something I also forgot to mention is that the menus on the DWW are very well done. The menu opens right away and has John Barry's score playing while showing scenes from the movie in the background. Upon making a selection to either the scene selection or audio options, there is a nice transition, and these menus are animated as well. The scene selections are 4 scenes per screen, and are fully animated. I have not had a chance to see the menus on the theatrical version or supplement disc, but I would think them to be just as impressive. I'll include my own sort of score for both of these disc below. I'm no expert, but this is just my overall impressions and thought from the sets. I will also give my overall feeling about these two releases, at least from my perspective.

Dances with Wolves:

Audio: DD: 4/5 (Both Versions) DTS: 4.5/5 (Extended Cut) (the DD 5.1 shortcomings are made up for with the DTS track. A much wider soundstage and powerful low end effects make this film seem more epic)

Video: 4/5 (have only seen the extended cut, but the quality is the same as the 2-Disc special edition. Not reference quality by today's standards, but a fine transfer that showcases the Oscar winning Cinematography)

Menus: 5/5 (very well designed and thematic. Nice transitions, and the John Barry music doesn't' hurt as well)

Extras: 5/5 (both versions of the film, 2 commentaries on the extended cut, 1 on the theatrical, all the extras from the 2-disc edition minus the music video, plus a few extra features)

Overall: 4.5 (whether you like the theatrical or extended cut, you get both to choose from. The only problem with the set is that subtitles need to be active in order to understand the Sioux scenes, unless you speak the language. They are not burned in or player generated, so you can either turn them on in the menu, or wit the remote when certain scenes appear, or whatever your preference is. For me, its easy to turn them on and off again, or keep them on for an extended period of time. It doesn't hurt the film for me, but some may not go for it. In that case, stick with the burned in subtitles on the 2-disc special edition. Either way, this is an excellent set, and in my opinion, about as perfect a release that you can get for the film. The lack of DTS on the theatrcial version and the subtitle issue aside, any fan of the film or of well produced DVD sets owes it to themselves to pick this up, while its still available.)

Black Hawk Down

Audio: DD: 5/5
DTS: +5/5 (simply put, one of the best DD 5.1 tracks is overshadowed by a breathtaking DTS track)

Video: 5/5 (the detail and sharpness are improved, which makes this a preferred choice for those seeking the best picture quality)

Menus: 4/5 (the movie only disc is standard Superbit menus, but the remaining discs of extras retain the same well designed menus)

Extras: 5/5 (even without the commentaries, the documentaries are worth the price of the set alone, plus the deleted scenes, and multi other features)

Film: 4.5/5 (as close as you can get to the battlefield without leaving your living room. The characters may not be well developed, but the battle scenes are masterful)

Overall: 4.5 (A great film, superb A/V, and excellent supplements make this one of the best special editions available. For those seeking all the great extras, go with the 3-Disc Deluxe version. Those seeing the perfect picture and sound, as well as most of the superb supplements should definitely go with the 4-disc Superbit Deluxe.)

I hope this helps some people out who still may be undecided about either of these releases. I have found both of these to be well worth the money, and for DVD collectors these are, in my opinion, must have sets.

Hopefully, we can see such releases in Region 1 from time to time. This is not to say the the Region 1 counterparts to these titles are lacking, but to get the versions we want of the films we love, we shouldn't have to look overseas for the titles. Its fortunate that these two films are playable on Region 1 players, and that they were both done with great care and consideration. Not only are they terrific sets in terms of supplements, packaging and A/V, but they are also great films.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Excellent review. I still havent watched my DWW yet, but I will agree the packaging is nice. The leather pounch that the DVDs come in is a high quality thick leather with excellent stitching. This was a well thought out design, and wasnt thrown together as an afterthought like some SEs from alot of the major studios.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I agree the DWW is very nice and looks great along side my other cooling box sets (Cylon head!). I watched BHD. The DTS was fantastic. Very natural. Picture quality was excellent also on my 103" screen from Dwin TV3 DLP Denon DVD-5900 @720p through DVI. Well worth the effort. Koreandvds was much quicker than I thought. Not too long a wait.
Marc

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
No, the Korean BOB set is still Region 3. Its a shame too, since its such a nice package. It does lack the DTS track though, but does contain english subtitles, something the Region 1 set lacked.

Eric Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for bringing these great looking packages to my attention. I am seriously considering purchasing BHD and DWW from there!

Do let us know of any other great packages like this :)

Does anyone know conclusively if there will be a R1 BHD superbit release?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
The only other Korean title I can think of that is worth buying is Malèna, the Giuseppe Tornatore film starring Monica Bellucci, previously seen in the US in films like Tears of the Sun and the last two Matrix films (I'm sure most know by now who she is). It is Region 0, and available through www.koreandvds.com and www.dvdasian.com. Here is what you get:

Disc 1:

-2-Disc set, comes in a slipcase digi-pack, in VERY attractive cover art.
-113 Min. full length (original) version, uncut.
-2.40:1 Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer
-Italian DTS 5.1
-Italian Dolby Digital 5.1
-Italian Dolby Digital 2.0 surround
-English and Korean Subtitles

Disc 2:

-(Extras are in Italian with Korean subtitles)
-Life & dream of Giuseppe Tornatore (52:53)
-Behind the scenes (46:00)
-Making of (in English) (12:31)
-Interview with director/co-writer Giuseppe Tornatore (9:14)
-Interview with Giuseppe Tornatore & composer Ennio Morricone (22:28 )
-In Studio (From the recording of the music) (21:51)
-Italian and US trailers
-3 US TV spots

You can see a comparison of the title here:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/

Thee thing to note is the video quality is better in the Region 1 release from Miramax when compared to this Region 0 release. However, the Miramax version contains no extras aside from a making of featurette and a few tv spots and trailers, plus it is the CUT version, missing 15 minutes of footage that is available in only the UNCUT Korean Region 0 version.

The price is also a steal at koreandvds.com at around $15. I have this release and am happy with it. I don't expect Miramax to release a special edition of the film anytime soon, and forget about it being uncut since Miramax is famous for cutting foreign titles. Right now, the Korean Region 0 release is the only way to get the uncut version. The film and DVD set are highly recommended. Hope this helps...

Also, in regards to your question about a Region 1 BHD Superbit release, I wouldn't rule it out. I believe they were going to wait and see how the sales were from the 3-Disc set before releasing a Superbit/Superbit Deluxe version. Personally, I wouldn't wait for it. For this 4-Disc set, you get the Superbit version of the film, plus two discs of extras, and a another CD with the soundtrack. Plus, the packaging is much thicker to accomodate the 4-Discs (it is similar to the LOTR sets, only thinner) and the cover art is much better. Its safe to assume that if they do a Superbit of this title, it will either be the movie only, or a Superbit Deluxe like this one, but that may not be for awhile. Also, you can guarantee it will be the same quality as this release, which is reference all the way. I would go for it and pick these titles up right away, especially since the BHD and DWW titles are limited, but are still selling on the sites I mentioned.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Oh, and the Region 0 Hong Kong (Mei Ah - remastered) release of john Woo's action epic Hard Boiled is anamorphic and has Cantonese DTS sound, and comes in a amaray case is in a card slipcase. Its not reference by any means, but is thus far the best release of the title I have seen so far. You can also go to http://www.dvdbeaver.com/ to see comparisons of the different releases. There subtitles are not perfect, and it has no extras, but I think most fans of the film will be happy.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i wish i never went nto this thread.

moremoney going to be spent again.

Jeff>K>B

Stunt Coordinator
I can't find a four disc version at Korean DVD, just a "Black Hawk Down SDE (Superbit Deluxe)(3 disc) + OST limited" which only details (as the title suggests) three discs (what is "OST"?)

Did you guys already buy them out?!?

Edit: Possible answer to my own question, after rereading Josh's post #69: disc 4 is the CD, and OST is "original sound track"?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Yes, OST is the soundtrack to the film in the BHD: SDE set.

Yes, this title that you see at Korean DVD "IS" the 4-disc Black Hawk Down: Superbit Deluxe. It's the version you're looking for. It is the Superbit version. It says 3-Disc on the cover, but it is 4-discs, 1 being the Superbit version of the film, 2 discs are the extras, and the fourth is the soundtrack. Its quite a steal on the site, going for $22, but depending on what you choose for shipping, it will be more. Hope this helps...

Jeff>K>B

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Josh, I've gone ahead and ordered both, using the cheaper shipping option - although I can hardly wait!

Mark_Sparks

Agent
I

I just received my R3 SB of Black Hawk Down and I totally agree with JoshB. The dts is a huge improvement and I'm glad I upgraded. This was my third copy I bought of this film, but now I have the one I'll watch over and over again.

I converted my toshiba sd-3755 player to region 0 and I also upgraded some dvds that I wanted in dts. I bought these from www.layoyo.com for decent prices.

We Were Soldiers
Basic
The Hunted
13 Days
Below
Rules of Engagement

These all sound incredible epsecially Rules and We Were Soldiers. I got these all for $65 shipped. Not too bad.

Now I'm trying to buy Heat and Crimson Tide (both dts), but I think CT is a PAL release every where but R1? Trying to stick to NTSC.

Mark

**just surfing www.koreandvds.com and I noticed that they have Heat dts up for pre-order. It was out of stock but now they have it for $13! Will have to include Face/Off with this order. Curious that they list the aspect ration and 2:35 and 1:85. Is the dts not in the OAR?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
With regards to the Heat: DTS version, this sort of represent a compromise. The first half of the film is DD 5.1 with an OAR of 2.35:1, and the second half is DTS 5.1, but in 1.85:1 aspect ratio, and its cropped. I would hold off on it, especially since Special Editions of both HEAT and CRIMSON TIDE are due this year. The Face/Off disc is fine from what I hear, I don't have it but I hear the DTS is excellent.

Also, how does your Toshiba SD-3755 work for you? I have yet to buy a multi region DVD player, but have been looking aroudn and have seen several that have caught my attention. One is the Philips 727, and the other is the Liteon LVD-2001. I'm not sure what to get yet, but would liek to get one soon and not miss out on some of the great titles other Regions have to offer.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I've always thought a lot of Asian discs are coded Region 0 simply because they become that much more accessible to the diaspora from that country. There're fast growing Korean communities all over the world, much like the Chinatowns. Maybe one factor, at least, is that some countries think more of their citzens abroad. Japan is probably the exception as Japanese communities abroad are comparitively small. Nearly everything from HK used to be that way, though many newer releases are coming out R3 (but even THAT's just on the packaging sometimes, not on the discs)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
DWW is Region 0 but BHD is actually Region Coded 1,3 and 4.

JoshB, there is an R2 Japanese DTS version of Heat that is OAR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks