What's new

Dances With Wolves....4-Disc Release w/ DTS and Both Versions....Region 0?? (1 Viewer)

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I don't think i can pass up the korean version. I felt that the 2 disc SE was a disappointment without DTS and the cheap rip off packaging. At least the Korean version gets it right. I can live with the sub title problem.

Charlie B. Ch.

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for the posts. DWW is one of my favorite movies ever (who can forget those highschool days). :) Just put in an order for the Korean version along with Toy Story 1+2 (can't justify paying $80 for region 1).

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I think I'm going to have to pick this up then. I have the recent 2-disc release, but this one warrants another purchase. The subtitle isuue may concern some, but I can live with it. This release also does justice to a movie of this magnitude and remidns me of what other studios do to such titles that are distinct in there own way, such as LOTR, Pearl Harbor, Alien Quad, and Black Hawk Down. Which also brings me to....

I may also order the 4-disc Superbit Deluxe version of Black Hawk Down at the same time. Its the Korean Region 3 release, but since its a Superbit release, it one of the titles that can play on Region 1 players. I have the 3-disc set, but would like to have the reference quality A/V to go along with the reference quality extras. I will probably sell the 3-disc one I have, since I have already heard the commentaries. I think they are all excellant, but the sort of thing I may not always listen to. The other extras are superb and I have seen them a few times. Plus, the four disc set has a much better cover art, and coems with the soundtrack as well. I love this movie alot and want to have the best that it can offer, both A/V wise and for supplements.

Duncan_N

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Korean release and it really is a beautiful set. Highy recommended. Sure, the subtitle issue is a bummer but once they are on you really stop noticing them as the film starts to suck you in.

The 80 min doco is well put together and the packaging is just gorgeous.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Just wondering what kind of quality are the subtitles, such as where they appear on the screen and just how they appear...

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Anybody know if the 2 disc R1 set uses player gen. subs? My player has the subtitle glitch where once they come on, they stay on until manually switched off. Watching "Ronin" is a chore...

:) D

SvenS

Second Unit
If anyone is looking to buy the OOP DWW R1 DTS version I have two sealed copies I am selling.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

Not at all. Unfortunately, people still seem to think that. Numerous big studio releases from Korea are coded R0, even though sometimes the packaging indicates R3. I believe Pulp Fiction is an example of this (which BTW, has a far superior transfer to the R1 SE).

Jeff

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Dang! Now why didn't MGM think about this in the first place? THIS is a prime example of a way to do a DVD of a film right, give the fans both the theatrical and extended version, with all the extras from the previous video releases and the current release, compiled together into one package. Kudos to Starmax for doing what MGM didn't! :emoji_thumbsup:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
The stupidest thing about DVD is the region and NTSC/PAL differences. Why can't all releases be the same everywhere? I shouldn't have to import an American movie from Korea (and I don't mean any offence to Koreans) to get the best edition of the film available. I should be able to order it on Amazon or walk into my local Best Buy and buy it!

:angry: Sorry for the rant but this continuously pisses me off. I don't have a multi-region player nor do I feel I should have one.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
For what its worth, I just ordered this from Koreandvds.com and my shipping to zip code 60411 was $6.64. Thats not too bad if you ask me. Total came to $38.64! I can't wait! :D

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I ordered mine today as well from Koreandvds.com along with the Superbit Deluxe version of Black Hawk Down, which I'm happy will work on a Region 1 player and cannot wait to see how the quality is improved over the previous releases. Thankfully, it keeps all the extras, except the commentary tracks (though I wish they could have been included), but you do get better cover art and the soundtrack with it. Came to about $70 total, plus shipping....I will let you know how it compares once I get it, along with the Dances With Wolves set....

Runar_R

Second Unit
For some reason the koreans have released some pretty impressive special editions the last couple of years. Two other titles that comes to mind is "Band of brothers" and most recently "Dogville". I make sure to check in on koreandvds regulary...... So I won't miss out on something like the Dogville set again! :angry:

Duncan_N

Stunt Coordinator

That sort of attitude is frankly a little offensive and very blinkered. It's a global community mate, America is not the centre of the world believe it or not.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

In short, no. The Studios would love them to be illegal, but they are perfectly legal (and, in some countries, the norm).

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Well I'm sorry if you took my comments as offensive, though they were not meant as such. But I wonder how would Koreans feel, for example, if a Korean film would be available in R1 in a super-deluxe set, while their local version would not be as super...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks