Dances With The Wolves DTS question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Binh Vu, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Binh Vu

Binh Vu Stunt Coordinator

Is this "2 discs dts version" released in region 0 only or there's a region 1 version???
    I'm looking to buy one if anyone want to sell/trade it please lemme know
    Thanks

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

It's an out of print Region 1 version from Image. Get it ASAP!! It's very, very good! I've seen it at some Best Buys and on-line.

Dan

3. Binh Vu

Yep, great movie. I've watched long time ago and now it's time to get it for my collection.
    But I just want to make sure I'll buy a region 1 ONLY version, because I know for sure there's a ALL REGION out there. Please tell me the different on the cover if any.
    Thanks alot

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

How is the R0 different from R1?

5. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

R0 is probably a bootleg.

6. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

One thing to remember about the R1 from Image is that it's full bitrate DTS--a rarity these days.

7. Declan

Declan Second Unit

R0 does'nt mean that it is a bootleg version. It means that there was no regional coding done to the disc. Criterions version of Robocop was R0. As for Dances With Wolves, I have the DTS version. But cant remember off hand if it is r1 or r0. Being in the UK means that I have a multiregion player so I will be able to find out using the system menu on the machine. I'll post up when I check. For the record I was'nt that pushed on the DTS. i've heard better. Yes it was clear and forceful at times but, during the buffalo hunt it just was'nt as aggressive as I would have hoped, it was rather underpowered during that scence I though. No real rear effects. Although when Dunbar goes across the feild at the start the gunshots sounded great, as did John Barrys score, especially on the way to the fort.

8. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Sounds like a kneejerk reaction to DTS to me Greg.
    I'm pretty sure if I named a few DTS titles that "sound better" I'd get the same reaction regardless of the fact it was "overcooked" or not or just not dumbed down [​IMG]
    Best buy is your best bet. There was plenty at the Local store here as of a couple weeks ago but I haven't been back since. Price was either 22.99 or 27.99 I don't remember.

10. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I got the non-DTS version for $19. Good deal. Looks legit. Didn't want the DTS version, since it breaks the movies up into 2 discs.

11. Binh Vu

I've checked all BestBuy around here but they're all sold out. I bet the version sold in BB is the (real) one to get. Have to get it on eBay for around $40.00 but as I said, some sellers stated it's region 1, some stated region 0 and the covers look the same to me.

12. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I got mine off eBay. The seller stated R0, but it's the official and only release. Just watched it with commentary. This film is so good. Can't wait for the extended version, having never seen it.

13. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

DVD Planet, Express.com, DVD Empire, Amazon.com, etc. are all places to look online for the DTS version.

In fact, the 2 disc Image release with full bitrate DTS looks somewhat better than the THX certified 1 disc version. The average video bitrate was higher since they had much more real estate to spread the film out even with the higher bitrate DTS track.

The comments about it somehow being bad to split a long movie on to two discs to improve audio and video quality always irk me. Are people suddenly lazier now that they can't get up to swap discs or push a button to load the next one (in a changer)? We went through hell with laserdisc (2, 3, 4 or more breaks sometimes), so I can stand one break in the action, especially if it's well placed.

The DTS mix does not seem cooked at all, but is cleaner and has more "depth" than the single disc DD version, and the music sounds more precise.

Dan

14. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter