Dancer in the Dark DVD quality?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eugene Hsieh, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

OK, I just saw this movie and I know many of you may hate it, but I was intrigued. I don't love it, but it certainly was one of the most odd and interesting movies I've seen in a while, and I think it's worth adding to my collection.
    How is the DVD quality, and quality of the extras? I understand much of the movie is shot with handheld cameras, but how about the transfer?
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

2. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

While many people may hate this movie, I really enjoyed it. I was also pleasantly suprised that my wife's latest Bjork CD had some of the music from the movie on it. Bjork is so adorable in this movie. I want to pick her up and carry her around in my pocket so that I can show her to people whenever I please.
    As far as the DVD quality is concerned, I haven't seen it in a while and can't remember.
    -Brad "no help here" W.
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
    My List O' DVDs:
    http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=meshuga
    [Edited last by Brad_W on October 14, 2001 at 11:00 PM]

3. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

4. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

The DVD quality is good except for an insane amount of edge enhancement. Some of it may actually be inherent to the look of digital video, though it wasn't so apparent in theatres.
    Mark

5. Mikal Haydn

Mikal Haydn Agent

I didn't get to catch this at the theater but the 'video camera' look transferred well to dvd. The colours come off pretty nicely during the 'musicals', albeit with artifacts common with images captured from digital video cameras. Dialog and sound effects are largely concentrated in the center with reinforcements in the left/right speakers during the non-musical sequences but become fully engaged when the songs are played. The music uses 5.1 appropriately and was fully enveloping particularly in "In the musicals". The surrounds were, most of the time, involved with reinforcing ambience. I detected no difference between the DD and DTS versions...
    Extras: 2 audio commentary channels, one with Lars Von Trier interspersed with Vibeke Windelov (producer) and the director of photography while another channel has choreographer Vincent Patterson. Its been months since i listened to them but they were informative and i can recall that there were very few dead spaces. And then there are 2 20 minute documentaries, one focusing on the choreography and another, on the photography. The next extra are alternate versions of 'Cvalda/In the musicals' and 'I've seen it all'. And lastly, a trailer. Theres no input from Bjork for extras, though her work as Selma and the songwriter is deemed to be sufficient.
    Definitely worth adding to your collection!
    [Edited last by Mikal Haydn on October 15, 2001 at 12:51 AM]

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I would give this DVD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I think it transfered to DVD perfectly and the ability to hear those songs in DTS 5.1............oh my god oh so good.
    I have watched this film about 15 times and I still find it emotionally hard to watch the ending.
    Brad_W,
    You can't have Bjork, she must be out there for the rest of the world to experience. Oh I believe she will be on Reverb on HBO this or next weds.

7. Arttu Salmi

Arttu Salmi Extra

This masterpiece (and I don't just throw that word around) has received the treatment it deserves. Beautiful. Nothing to complain.

8. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

One thing to consider is that this movie was shot using a DV camera. So all the edge enhancement in the picture and other flaws are from the source, not from the compression.
    ------------------
    A Little Slice of Heaven

9. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I enjoyed this movie for its originality. A Musical that actually puts the music in places that are appropriate to the story!
    I rented this via netflix. From what I remember, the transfer was fine, and the sound was very good!

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Love the movie. Love the DVD. New Line really came through on this one.
    The video quality appears quite good, though the DV>film>digital process makes this a bit difficult to judge against more conventional films. The audio quality is outstanding, including a wonderful DTS track. Indeed, it's quite an extraordinary and liberating effect when the surrounds open up during the musical sequences (along with the more vivid color rendering due to an analog process in the DV>film transfer of these sections).
    The extras are also first-rate, including two wonderful commentary tracks (do not overlook Vincent Paterson's wonderful solo commentary), several features on the shooting process, and even a way to access all the musical sequences.
    This DVD is top-notch, as is the film itself. Very highly recommended.