Dancer in the Dark - Does it exist?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis D, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

I went to rent a few movies the other night. I usually have a list and on yesterday's list were Made, Primal Fear, Following, and Dancer in the Dark.
    I found the first three right away, but DITD was not to be found. Long story short, and 10 rental outlets later, I do not believe either the DVD OR VHS exist below Kentucky. I asked 10 clerks and not a one knew what I was talking about. I really do not want to buy the movie without seeing it first. (I really hate Bjork and the noises she sells as music, but I have to see the movie simply for the fact that a lot of you love it.) I've held out on not letting myself hear spoilers so far, so I'm kinda miffed I can't find it now and spare myself the waiting.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Well, Laser's Edge has it for order according to this link. Also this link is to an online dvd rental store.
    Crawdaddy

3. ryan davis

ryan davis Stunt Coordinator

I was unable to find it to rent anywhere. I just ended up buying it. But then again i am a fan of bjork, so i knew id at least like the songs that are in it.

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

My copy most definitely does exist. It is real. I can hold it in my hands. It has texture and substance.[​IMG]
    If I recall right, I did see a copy at Hollywood Video, so you might want to check there if you haven't already. And, I won't spoil it for you...but the last 30 minutes are amazingly powerful. Brace yourself.
    Bruce

5. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

And lo, thus Netflix was born.
    [​IMG]
    Sucks to be you. Although trust me, Lasers Edge doesn't always rent every title. You can buy anything, but renting...stupid Indy.
    I have had some luck with Hollywood, and when pushed I find the Blockbuster site good for searching stores ahead of time from home. Many times only one Blockbuster will carry something I want to rent on DVD, or VHS for the AFI challenge, etc.

6. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

hmm.. yes, dancer in the dark does exist. I own it on DVD and watched it once. it got pretty mixed reviews but Bjork acted well in it. it definately does exist though, look on imdb.com
    http://us.imdb.com/Title?0168629
    Over 6000 people who saw it. I just checked rottentomatoes too, and about 50 people saw it.
    Unless 6051 people are hallucinating, dancer in the dark exists and is one of the top 250 movies on imdb.com.

7. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

When I saw this in a theater a woman was crying so hard she threw up.....really powerful stuff. must see!

9. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

Whoa Vickie.... didn't mean to stir up hostile emotions. Maybe noise was to strong of a word, perhaps s*** is better term? KIDDING, I'm just kidding! I will give anything a chance without bias. I find that people who determine if something is awful before experiencing it for themselves first are often infantile and quite frankly douchebags in general. There are members of this board whom I highly respect and they felt it a worthy endeavor so I thus would really like to see it.
    As for the musical merits of Bjork, I would REALLY like to NOT get into that. She is the ultimate case of Love or Hate. There is no inbetween as I have found. I personally don't like her because I personally don't find her melodic.

10. Ryan Jameson

Ryan Jameson Stunt Coordinator

I'd like to echo what Vickie said by recommending that you not watch the movie. Bjork's music is featured very prominately, and if you don't enjoy it, I doubt you will enjoy the movie. I love the film, but it's incredibly depressing. The only way I can make it through is because I love her music so much.

Kelly: When I went to see it, there was one woman who was still crying even after the credits had finished. There was hardly a dry eye in the theater.

11. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I'll put it this way. Since the movie was first released at theaters, I have not heard a single person say "I hate Bjork but I loved Dancer in the Dark"

Personally I am not a huge fan or anything but I do like most of Bjork's music. I enjoyed the film but do not see how anyone that really hates Bjork will be able to tolerate the movie.

12. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

This was a painful, depressing movie

...but something it wasnt;

it wasnt good.

The songs were more painful than the drama. This is a super fidget fest, a movie where you "forget" to hit pause when you go to the bathroom,

I used to like Bork or however you spell it but David Morse singing...the creepy guy from Fargo singing?

One good song does not a musical make.

13. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Dancer in the Dark is a carefully crafted gut punch in my (perhaps inconsequential) opinion. After the initial shock wears off I realized it had little else to say other than that Von Trier likes to put his likeable heroines in cruel and unbelievable downward spirals
    just to get a reaction from the audience. His films are a form of emotional manipulation (and that's not my strongest word for it).

Travis: if you'd like a similar dose of Von Trier that doesn't involve Bjork, rent Breaking the Waves/i]. Emily Watson is put through a similarly cruel passage.

Affecting, but ultimately contrived films IMO, both of them.

Just my opinion, i don't expect anyone else to 'agree.'

Sorry about the off topic post. [​IMG]

Cheers,

Joseph

14. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

David Morse wasn't in Fargo. You are thinking of Peter Stormare.
    Bruce

15. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

can somebody explain to me

spoiler

why the movie was so implausible -- ie: I won't give any evidence that the money was mine because I kept a promise.

16. DonMac

DonMac Stunt Coordinator

Although I'm not one who usually jumps in a thread just to slam a movie, I'll make an exception in this case.
    Now I generally seek out and enjoy arthouse films. But I hated Dancer in the Dark with a passion! Here are the reasons why:
    - It's shot with a shaky camera, so simply watching it is a nauseating experience
    - Bjork's unlistenable bad (IMO) music, which is supposedly inspired by old Hollywood musicals in the movie, but yet has absolutely nothing in common with them musically.
    - Bjork's character, who is so pathetic that I actually... ...applauded when she was executed.
    (And I can't believe people thought Bjork deserved an Oscar nod for her acting, which was strictly a one-note performance.)
    This is easily the worst movie I've seen in the past year. In fact, I don't think I've despised a movie this much in years!
    (NOTE: Ebert's review is interesting in he says "It is not a 'well made film,' is not in 'good taste,' is not 'plausible' or, for many people, 'entertaining.' Correct on all counts, particularly the movie not being entertaining, but then he gives it 3.5 stars.)

17. Ryan Jameson

Ryan Jameson Stunt Coordinator

18. DonMac

DonMac Stunt Coordinator

Ryan Jameson wrote:

19. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

DonMac, your insinuation that chances are you need to be a Bjork fan to like this film is off-base. I didn't know much about Bjork or listened to her music before seeing this movie and I thought it was great. My brother loves this film and dislikes Bjork.

I would agree with you, however, if you appended your statement to say "chances are if you're a Lars von Trier fan you'll like this movie".

Have you even seen the rest of the Golden Heart Trilogy?

PS, Lars von Trier wrote the lyrics for the songs, Bjork just put them to music.

20. DonMac

DonMac Stunt Coordinator

Ryan Peter wrote: