Dan Wiggins - your opinion please (tempest/shiva ,etc)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Dr, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

Someone mentioned to me in a different thread that you can offer an unbiased opinion on the "accuracy" of tempest vs shiva and such. I want to build a sonosub and it looks like a tempest is my driver of choice. Anything else u can offer in terms of size of enclosure, ports, amps, etc would be greatly appreciated also. (if you aren't Dan, you can answer too [​IMG])

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Dan Wiggins put quite a lot of time into addressing the various uses for the Tempest in Adire's Tempest application notes. Have a read through them first.
    Tempest is just as "accurate" as Shiva, it will just get louder, go lower, and require a larger box for a given alignment.

3. Wookie Groomer

Wookie Groomer Stunt Coordinator

Dan gave me a recipe for a sonotube that I will share with you.

1 tempest

48" tall x 24" diameter sonotube.

(2) 4" flared port kits at full 17" length.

4 pounds polyfill.

4" feet

internal height 45" ( 2 sheets 3/4" laminated mdf for endcaps for a total 1.5" think endcap on each end)

your choice of speaker terminal

all mounted on the bottom endcap, they do fit!

I have applied a 3rd sheet of mdf to the endcaps that is 26" diameter to overlap the sonotube for more stability. I have also cut a hole in the endcaps for the speaker terminals that is large enough to solder and attach wires to gold plated binding posts. I use the 3rd 26" cap to cover the hole and simply drill 1/4" hole for each terminal post. I don't like the plastic bi amping speaker terminal that is usualy mounted on the bottom. I prefer to use individual gold plated posts and mount them directly into the wood.

Also, you should reinforce the caps by screwing (2) wooden beams into the top and bottom caps. As close to the inside as possible.

I have decided to not use polyfill but instead I used acoustic foam tiles, the egg shaped kind to line the entire inside of the tube. It works better I think. Just use spray adhesive on the inside of the tube and on the backs of the tiles. They can be bought in 18" x 24" sizes and one sono sub will require 9.

I have built 3 of these so far. One for my main channels and one for .1 lfe. The third is a gift.

All I can say is the two I have running are astounding me each and everytime I hear them. One of these tubes has given me more oomph than 2 SVS's powered by a samson. One can easily outperform a $3000 sub at only around $600 made with quality parts.

good luck

4. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for that reply Shawn - what kind of amp are u using to power the sub?

5. Wookie Groomer

Wookie Groomer Stunt Coordinator

AVA250 provided by Adire. The drivers are wired in parallel.

6. Andrew Quai-Ford

Andrew Quai-Ford Auditioning

Hi Shawn

How did you make the port tube 17" (inches) when Adire supplies one 12" tube? Did you buy another tube like PVC or ABS from Home Depot then cut it to length? Do the flare rings fit on to the PVC or AS tube?

Andrew

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Andrew, the "full 17" length" for the flared port kits refers to the 12" center piece plus the flares.

8. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Shawn that sounds like a great recipe. What kind of extension and output are you getting on paper and in your room. I assume the $600 includes the cost of the amp...

24" diameter seems a bit bigg for footprint. Can I use a smaller diameter sonotube but perhaps taller? Any other options for the ports?

Also, where did you get the acoustic tiles amd how much are they? Sounds like a great alternative to polyfill. What do you use on the sides for covering the sonotube.

Are there any good picks of this sub or even something similar that I can take a look at?

Gil

9. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

Hi all,

I think the above posts sum it up quite nicely. If you have the space, either a Maelstrom or Tempest is the way to go. Otherwise Shivas. Both will get you past commercial offerings at a much lower price.

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio

10. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Gill,

You could use a smaller tube but if you go smaller than 24" I suggest going to the Shiva driver. With a Shiva on bottom and a 6 inch port on top, you could use an 18" tube.

My sub is simular to the one described by Shawn only I used a single 8 inch port on top (covered with a nice looking black metal grill).

Sub peaks at 14hz. Driven with 150 watts into 4 ohm's. I never did get the amp to clip so I could run it louder when testing (afraid to do so), but I got greater than 120 db's at the cone, 105 db's at the listening position. Design is based exactly on Adire EBS design.

It rattles the doors, shakes the light fixtures, makes you feel funky, etc. Gobs of tight quality bass.

11. Scott Page

Oh,

to cover the sides of the sonotube, go to a fabric store and buy some black ribbing. It's basically a sock with lots of stretch in it. You need to buy a couple of feet more length than the tube because the length shrinks due to the stretching. Nothing to sew, you just pull it over. It fits really tight and looks very professional. Nothing could be easier.

12. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Shawn, nice recipe, did you get that out of Better Homes? [​IMG]
    Myself, it's no contest, the dual Shiva "Velex" subs will be replaced after first of the year by a "Quadlex". 4 Tempests in sealed enclosures. Dan has given his blessing to this project. I can hardly wait. [​IMG] I sure hope my sheetrock in my house is up to it, ROFL.
    Lex

13. Scott Page

Doug,
    FOUR Tempests? You are certifiable! [​IMG]
    You must have a huge room and a very understanding wife. I've got an understanding wife and 2900 cubic feet of HT and I found one Tempest to be plenty. Just for kicks I'm building a second one but don't really need it.