What's new

Dan Wiggins, Tumults big brother (1 Viewer)

David Giesbrecht

Second Unit
In a heartbeat!
could you imagine a pair of these in an IB!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

you would need lots of power though, with an effiency of only 86 db you would need lots a current to move an 18" cone 34mm.
Crown K2 anyone? :)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Isn't hard to build a suspension so loose as to have a 9ft^3 Vas that can handle getting smacked around so much? I think it was John from Stryke who explained that, when asked about the then-unusual parameters of the HE15.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
David
Instead of one huge driver use several Adire DPL12's . I think you'll find they meet your T/S criteria.
10Hz tuning is folly. First it's inaudible, and second the higher frequencies 20Hz-40Hz would render the extra low tuning virtually useless from a home audio standpoint
Micheal
Yes up to a point the larger the diameter the harder it is to keep cone movement pistonic. That's another resaon for using a cluster of 12"s or 15"s

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
David,

Have you even calculated port length for 10Hz tuning? Anything less than an 8" diameter port would be underported, which means your port length would probably end up being a smoke stack.

Bob Reimer

Agent
FYI

Adire is working on a whole bunch of new XBL^2 drivers including a 6.5" mid/woofer and a tweeter. XBL^2 can be applied to most driver designs except planars.

Regards
Bob
Creative Sound Solutions

AllanRW

Second Unit
Hows about a 6.5" driver using 9mm+ xmax and XBL.
Now that would be sweet.
Well then so would a killer 4" with XBL for a sweet MTM.
;) ;)
Al

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
My Tumult is tuned to about 19.5 hertz in a 180 L enclosure using a 6" port about 27.25" long. It was a squeeze getting the port in the box. The response flat to 14 hertz in room. It cuts off like a brick wall below that because of a subsonic filter. I'm pretty happy with my combo. I have noticed no port noise using test tones or music or the pipe resonance of the port (its about 187 hertz for the pipe resonance).

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Does the DPL12 have XBL2?
No. But the driver itself is somewhat like what you mentioned for the 18". Well, sort of anyway. I think I would take T-Dub's response. Have you seen his dancing shivas?

BTW - Thomas, do you still use Shivas or did you replace them with the DPL12s?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
What do you mean by the higher freq's would render the low tuning useless?
Try this play a DVD/CD (not vinyl) something LOUD that has a good mix of extreme LFE (below 10-15Hz) and lower midbass, then kick a true 'subsonic' filter see what changes, usually not very much.

Tuning in the subsonic range is good for bragging rights and to provide some additional protection of the driver. Other than that it's not very beneficial.

Scott

Still have the Shiva's in the big IB. Later in the fall plan on a IB vs dipole sub shootout. If the dipoles aren't as good as the IB then I'll likely put the DPL12's in the IB and have a firesale on slightly used Shiva's

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
A lower tunning point generally gives you better group delay numbers through the audible range.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Yes it does. But how audible that somewhat lower group delay in the passband where a sub is operating, is certainly open to debate.

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, I was just wondering, is there any woofer out today that has MORE displacement than the Blueprint 1803 that I have? I know at the time I bought it, no single driver displaced more air that I knew of. I think that Resonant Engineering XXX 18" might have more displacement, but I am not sure.
Also, for those guys with 1803s with 6" diameter ports, and saying that they get no noise, are you guys playing test tones or music/movies? Because I cant hear any noise with normal program material, but when I play pure sine waves at around tuning or below, I get some pretty bad noise if I turn it up a bit. And I am not even close to the limits of my amp. And the sad thing is, I am using a 10" diameter sonotube for my port. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Don't know about the 1803, but I have 1503 and HE-15's (18Hz tuning) in cabs using 6" ports WITH the AeroPort flares and there's no chuffing at literally house shaking SPL's. And I know the Fs of my house is ~16Hz :D
Are you sure the noise is actually coming from the port? How close is the inside port opening to any part of the cab? 10" should be plenty big for a 1803

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
What we need here is a sub that is designed for a larger box, yes the Tumult being able to oporate in 2ft3 is cool but we need a monster 18 something more like a Tempest where deep bass is the most important aspect not size.
I guess it depends on who "we" is. This issue was hashed out in the original Tumult thread, seems very few folks would buy such a "monster 18". dB had a thread going a while ago for such a driver, not much interest apparently. Makes nice graphs, until it's time to buy.
I'd agree with the recommendation of multiple DPL12's.
Less power into more drivers may result in a more 'relaxed" sound, as JonM has put it.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The DPL12's have a distinct advantage in that they exist.
They'd also require much less power in something like an IB manifold (which is what I'd prefer over 1 big driver), so you save money there. It's fun to make up drivers/specs, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks