What's new

Dan August – The Complete Collection (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The edited episodes on the Barnaby Jones DVD's really bother me but I bought the set anyway because nothing else is available.

True-- if CBS themselves had continued Barnaby Jones beyond the first go, we might have had better-quality and more complete outings (at least how I assess this).

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
True-- if CBS themselves had continued Barnaby Jones beyond the first go, we might have had better-quality and more complete outings (at least how I assess this).
I agree it's unfortunate that CBS DVD didn't continue with Barnaby Jones. If they had went on, we likely would have kept getting the complete episodes. Something went very wrong once the series was farmed out to VEI. From season 3 and forward, almost every episode is edited aside from a small number of complete ones that somehow slipped in to the mix. "Poisoned Pigeon" from season 3 is complete. "Beware The Dog" from season 4 is also complete. And most of the two part episodes seem to be complete also. Overall it's a very disappointing DVD release but it's all we're going to get unless someone sees to it to re-issue the series with all complete episodes and that's probably unlikely to happen.

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Well I went ahead and ordered the Dan August DVD set from VEI, $19.99 and free shipping so I figured it's a pretty good deal. The package should arrive sometime next week. I'm just a little concerned about compression issues since VEI crammed too many episodes on the discs and made it a 4 disc set when ideally it should have been a 6 or 7 disc set. Hopefully I won't have any playback issues but I look forward to receive this and watch some episodes.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
VEI does this with everything I've seen from there. Nothing from them in my collection looks particularly good. But since nobody else is releasing The Immortal or The Magician, I live with it.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
VEI does this with everything I've seen from there. Nothing from them in my collection looks particularly good. But since nobody else is releasing The Immortal or The Magician, I live with it.
VEI did a pretty great job with The Bad News Bears, since all 26 episodes look pretty good even with the two seasons crammed onto two DVDs.

~Ben

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
VEI did a pretty great job with The Bad News Bears, since all 26 episodes look pretty good even with the two seasons crammed onto two DVDs.

~Ben
Well said Scott. Everyone needs to decide just where they draw the line. For myself, The Immortal, The Magician and Longstreet were more than acceptable, but Dan August was not. Just can't watch it. Never saw The Bad News Bears and probably won't.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I received the Dan August DVD's today, the package arrived a few days ahead of schedule and it's always awesome when that happens. I took a quick look at two episodes on disc 1, and aside from the colors appearing to be a little faded and washed out, I think I'm going to be fine with the picture quality. And the time compression doesn't seem to be a really big issue as the episodes still run around 49 minutes even with the speed up. So overall I think I'm going to like this, can't go wrong for a price of $20 and I plan to watch an episode or two tonight.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I received the Dan August DVD's today, the package arrived a few days ahead of schedule and it's always awesome when that happens. I took a quick look at two episodes on disc 1, and aside from the colors appearing to be a little faded and washed out, I think I'm going to be fine with the picture quality.

As for arriving ahead of schedule (before due date), I've been lucky enough to have that pleasure a few times as well-- quite exciting, I will agree.

As for the fading and being washed out, that's not unlike (and I've said this many a time) when M Squad had tears and film grain and other effects galore in the prints on DVD; it did not affect my enjoyment, remarkable 50s series that M Squad was.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
The one issue that I might have with the Dan August DVD's are occasional video freeze ups while watching episodes. This is because there are too many episodes on the discs, seven episodes per disc is too many and there is over-compression. This really should have been a six or seven disc set, not four discs. I also have the complete series DVD of SWAT, released by Mill Creek and those discs are also over-compressed with too many episodes on them, and I do get occasional freeze ups when I watch episodes. But aside from that, I'm glad to now have the Dan August series in my DVD collection.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I've watched a few Dan August episodes on disc 1 and so far I like what I see, good episodes, so I'm glad I changed my mind and decided to buy the DVD set. Dan August is comparable to other Quinn Martin police/detective shows from that 1960's/1970's era. The video did pause a few times when I watched the episode Murder Of A Small Town, I think this is because of the over-compression, too many episodes on the discs. This really should have been a six or seven disc set, not four discs, but so far that's my only complaint.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
So, I ordered this a bit ago after someone on Facebook commented about how easily Leonardo DiCaprio's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood character could have played Burt Reynold's part. As to that, it's true. I think Rick Dalton's wardrobe is directly inspired by Reynold's costume in Episode 1. As to the episodes, I thought the pilot (without Burt) was mediocre, and the first few seasons were also not impressive. However, after that, the show really blossomed. There is a lot of great location shooting, interesting camera shots, and novel plots. For example, most of the episodes have mystery plots. Who killed the initial victim? But in one remarkable episode, the suspects start to be murdered. It almost is like a slasher film, with mundane actions followed by murder. Other episodes have other intriguing qualities. Although many have commented about disc problems, I have had none. It may be early production issues were remedied. This show is well worth watching! One final note, another single season show I love, Kolchak, was plagued by limited budgets and declining cast members. I can't imagine what they spent on this. With the locations, the large cast, and everything, this was not an inexpensively produced show. Any fan of classic tv or 70s cop shows should watch this.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
1695275841463.png

1695275859697.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks