What's new

Dan August – The Complete Collection (5 Viewers)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
To compare the compressed video definition of the Dan August episodes with the beautifully remastered pilot telefilm on the same set, I offer these comparative examples...

Newspaper headline as seen in the pilot, The House on Green Apple Road...You can easily read most of the type here...
View attachment 53182

Newspaper headline as seen in the Dan August episode, Invitation To Murder...soft image by far...
View attachment 53183

Here's another good comparison...Tim O'Connor's old acne scars as seen in the pilot movie...
View attachment 53184

Tim O'Connor returns in the Dan August episode, Invitation To Murder...
View attachment 53185

One thing I noticed about the pilot movie is it's 1968 copyright...I don't know if that means it sat on the shelf for awhile or not...it didn't go to air until January 11, 1970. There's nothing in Jonathan Etter's book on QM that accounts for the long lead time, other than perhaps ABC wanting to hold on to it for "event programming"...
View attachment 53186

Great shots! That's a big difference between the papers on the pilot and in the series, for one thing-- nonetheless, I am still getting this sometime soon, because I have never seen Dan August before (outside of the quite catchy title track, and the very well done title sequence over which it played), and as I've said before with things like M Squad, if a show's as good as I think this will be, picture quality should hardly be a concern.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
For me, the soft image video quality of the episodes only bothers me in the middle and backgrounds...and sometimes in motion during action scenes when the bit rate falls to a lower extreme...I do wish that VEI had devoted a fifth disc to this set...

from Invitation To Murder...the statuesque Barbara Mills...a stunning redhead, among many babes in this series...
A dan 63.JPG

A dan 65.JPG

A dan 71.JPG

A dan 72.JPG

A dan 73.JPG

A dan 74.JPG

Here's an example of the soft images in the middle and backgrounds...see the blur in Norman Fell's face!
A dan 76.JPG

A dan 77.JPG

A dan 78.JPG

A dan 79.JPG

I'm just trying to help people here, for those on the bubble who are trying to decide if they want it right now...I'm sure it will be nicely discounted in the near future, if you want to wait for a bargain price...for me, the price is about right and I'm still glad to have the series as is, especially the extraordinary pilot film which, as you can see from my earlier screen caps, is gorgeous! I do most of my TV viewing on a 60" HDTV, by the way. You may not notice most of these deficiencies on a smaller TV...

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I do most of my TV viewing on a 60" HDTV, by the way. You may not notice most of these deficiencies on a smaller TV...

Great points there! I have a 55" Vizio now that my brother had (he gave it to me for a Christmas present), and I've tried several things on it, and it upconverts (upscales) many older series quite well, like Petrocelli for instance; it might do the same with this.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I have a really old tv and my Dan August looks good, nowhere near as blurry as the above screen captures, and definitely way better than VEI's release of Cannon. The plots are fairly predictable as far as 70's detective shows go, but it has all the earmarks of a Quinn Martin production, including great guest stars. There's a nice rapport between Burt Reynolds and Norman Fell that makes their partnership very believable and enjoyable.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
There's a nice rapport between Burt Reynolds and Norman Fell that makes their partnership very believable and enjoyable.

And it's the same with The Streets of San Francisco when it came to Karl Malden and Michael Douglas; it was said popularly that Malden's Stone character was like a father figure to Douglas' Keller character, but, IMO, they worked so well together that, as I said one other time, I have thought of them more as brothers than as father-son.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the running times, some ABC shows from that era ran really long, like almost 52 minutes without any next week teasers. I was just transferring some Toma from a run in Canada that was uncut and the shows come in around 51:45. Same as The Immortal. So, I don't doubt that Dan August likely had just as long of an original running time.

I'm sure I'll pick up the set eventually but considering they just ran the same copies on GET last year, I pretty much already have the series, and less compressed than these will be.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Oddly enough, Amazon US ceased to sell the title Dan August.
They mention the vague statement "Currently unavailable" followed by "We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock".

To be continued … Please stand by …

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Oddly enough, Amazon US ceased to sell the title Dan August.
They mention the vague statement "Currently unavailable" followed by "We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock".

To be continued … Please stand by …
I would have to guess there may be a few flaws with this first batch... I know it will be back! They did temporarily remove Nero Wolfe (1981) from their stock over a year ago (during the summer of 2017) for a similar reason.

~Ben

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I would have to guess there may be a few flaws with this first batch... I know it will be back! They did temporarily remove Nero Wolfe (1981) from their stock for a similar reason.

VEI's track record in the past suggests this may very well be the case.

I'll usually wait a year or so after release for VEI to iron out the kinks.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
My friend is selling me his copy for $20. He watched a few and thought the show sucked and it looked bad on his HD TV. I like the show and it will look just fine on my CRT set!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Oh, wow, these look terrible. The runtimes aren't that shortened (49 minutes and change) but it's still some of the ugliest time compression (or PAL-to-NTSC conversion?) I've ever seen. If you didn't know better you'd think the series was shot on tape.

Yeah I just watched an episode of Streets of San Fran then Dan August , big difference. But even DA looks better than the transfers on Shout Factory’s Homicide complete set, talk about murky digital soup

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
My friend is selling me his copy for $20. He watched a few and thought the show sucked and it looked bad on his HD TV. I like the show and it will look just fine on my CRT set!

Wow a CRT holdout. I’ve been tempted to did a nice CRT set bet these older shows would look great on them

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
But even DA looks better than the transfers on Shout Factory’s Homicide complete set, talk about murky digital soup

You mean that 1993-99 NBC police/detective series wasn't handled too well when Shout! released it?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Wow a CRT holdout. I’ve been tempted to did a nice CRT set bet these older shows would look great on them

Maybe not great but a helluva lot better than on a HD set. Without spend 2 hours making a list, I have tons of series recorded on VHS from off air, which are watchable on a tube set which wouldn't be on a modern TV.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I've watched the pilot and the first four episodes. I've got a humble 43-inch Vizio, and I've certainly noticed the above-mentioned softness in medium and long shots. But I'm satisfied with the quality--I'm not that picky. The Dan August episodes are uncut but time-compressed, which I'm OK with.

Close-up shots on Dan August are certainly comparable to the Cannon and Barnaby Jones sets. This set is worthy for the guest stars and the usual QM formula, which I've always liked.

Time-compression is evident in announcer Hank Simms' voice. So deep-voiced on Cannon, he sounds like he's on helium on Dan August. The opening credit music is allowed to build to a crescendo, but the music fades out early on all other acts and the epilog.

One error: the episode "The King Is Dead" opens with a suitcase being thrown against a wall or door. There's no sound of the impact; the sound kicks in at the one- or two-second mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks