What's new

Dan August – The Complete Collection (1 Viewer)

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
I find that VEI is a very odd company. It's a Canadian operation and I live in Canada about 90 minutes away from their headquarters. Yet, If I order Dan August from them, their price of $24.99 is in U.S. dollars ($33.21 CAN), then they mysteriously add almost $4.00 (U.S.) sales tax ($5.31), then their cheapest shipping method costs $12.99 U. S.Dollars ($17.26 CAN) - highly inflated given that a package of that weight and size averages no more than $6.00 CAN via Canada Expresspost- for a grand total of $55.78 CAN.

I can order this from Amazon Canada for $39.99 plus $5.00 tax, and free shipping for a total of $44.99 CAN, yet the order is actually fulfilled by VEI for Amazon.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I find that VEI is a very odd company. It's a Canadian operation and I live in Canada about 90 minutes away from their headquarters. Yet, If I order Dan August from them, their price of $24.99 is in U.S. dollars ($33.21 CAN), then they mysteriously add almost $4.00 (U.S.) sales tax ($5.31), then their cheapest shipping method costs $12.99 U. S.Dollars ($17.26 CAN) - highly inflated given that a package of that weight and size averages no more than $6.00 CAN via Canada Expresspost- for a grand total of $55.78 CAN.

I can order this from Amazon Canada for $39.99 plus $5.00 tax, and free shipping for a total of $44.99 CAN, yet the order is actually fulfilled by VEI for Amazon.

Why does it cost more to get it direct from VEI, but less from Amazon Canada?

galipolis

Grip
Real Name
Klaus Dietrichs
Although the DAN AUGUST DVD Set is already for sale via VEI on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca
it's not available for international or overseas ordering yet - even the LONGSTREET and THE IMMORTAL DVD Sets
which actually were available for international ordering now have changed Amazon order options and are no longer
available for international customers ...

Have the sale rights for VEI Products changed so that these are no longer permitted for overseas sales
and just only can be sold within the USA market ?

I would love to get some input on this situation as I really want to order this DVD Set from Germany and as
a longtime Amazon.com customer never had such a problem before ...

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Finally able to finish the pilot, House On GreenApple Road, this afternoon. Really good cast for a "TV" movie: Christopher George, Keenan Wynn, Barry Sullivan, Walter Pidgeon, Peter Mark Richman, Tim O'Connor, Janet Leigh, William Windom, Joanne Linville, Paul Fix and Ed Asner, wow!!! I really liked the set up for this story. Top notch all around. Seems unusually adult for the times (adultery, spineless husband accepting his wife unconditionally because he loves her - believably played I might add). Not sure if any work was done on this movie, but it looked good to my eyes for a 48 year old film.

Episode 1 - Murder By Proxy - Roger Perry, Anne Francis, Burr DeBenning (again!!!), Diana Muldaur. Episode did not have the polished look of the pilot movie but was very watchable. This one played out like most 70's cop shows. One person with a solid alibi coerced another individual to do the actual deed. Still in all, an enjoyable hour. Sure was surprised to see the Worldvision(not affiliated ...) logo at the end.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have only watched one regular episode, so I do not know if it is on them all or not. I just found it odd. Haven't seen that one since I saw The Fugitive on A&E.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have only watched one regular episode, so I do not know if it is on them all or not. I just found it odd. Haven't seen that one since I saw The Fugitive on A&E.

I recall seeing it regularly on Little House reruns!

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I saw that one quite a lot on many Hanna-Barbera cartoons in the early 1990s. This was the first one from 1988 (with no Spelling Entertainment byline):

It even existed in "Film-O-Vision"...

~Ben

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
In checking this set, there is a listing mistake. It claims to be "All 27 episodes + TV movie". However, there really are only 26 1-hour episodes. The inside packaging lists an episode titled "The Trouble With Women", however it doesn't appear on any of the discs. In reality, "The Trouble With Women" was an after-the-fact re-edited TV movie consisting of the episodes "Epitaph For A Swinger" and "The Titan".

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
In checking this set, there is a listing mistake. It claims to be "All 27 episodes + TV movie". However, there really are only 26 1-hour episodes. The inside packaging lists an episode titled "The Trouble With Women", however it doesn't appear on any of the discs. In reality, "The Trouble With Women" was an after-the-fact re-edited TV movie consisting of the episodes "Epitaph For A Swinger" and "The Titan".

Why does the packaging show an episode that isn't?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
The TV movie pilot which precedes the regular 26 episodes was "House on Greenapple Road."

Disc 1:
1. TV movie: "House on Greenapple Road"
2. Murder by Proxy
3. The Murder of a Small Town
4. Love is a Nickel Bag
5. The King is Dead
6. In the Eyes of God

Disc 2:
7. The Color of Fury
8. Invitation to Murder
9. The Union Forever
10. Epitaph for a Swinger (aka "Climate for Murder")
11. When the Shouting Dies
12. The Soldier
13. Quadrangle for Death

Disc 3:
14. Passing Fair
15. The Titan
16. Death Chain
17. Dead Witness to a Killing
18. The Law
19. The Worst Crime
20. Circle of Lies

Disc 4:
21. Trackdown
22. Bullet for a Hero
23. The Manufactured Man
24. The Meal Ticket
25. Days of Rage
26. Prognosis: Homicide
27. The Assassin

As to "The Trouble with Women" it was, as you described, a re-editing of the episodes "Epitaph for a Swinger" and "The Titan" and had first aired on TV in 1980, 10 years after the true TV movie pilot ("House on Greenapple Road") had aired.

CTVA also lists several other TV movies re-edited from episodes of this series, with such titles as:
Double Jeopardy (or "Once is Never Enough") (contains "Death Chain" and "Prognosis: Homicide")
The Jealousy Factor (contains "Murder by Proxy" and "The King is Dead")
The Lady Killers (contains "When the Shouting Dies" and "The Worst Crime")
The Relative Solution (contains "Dead Witness to a Killing" and "Days of Rage")
The Killing Affairs (contains "The Manufactured Man" and "The Assassin")

~Ben

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks