Damping Factors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnSC, Feb 11, 2002.

1. JohnSC

JohnSC Stunt Coordinator

How important is the damping factor on amplifiers? What is a good rating? I am considering purchasing either a 5-channel amp or a 2-channel amp from ROTEL. I don't really need a 5-ch but thought it would be good for future upgradeability etc. I noticed that the 2-ch amps have a better damping factor however, and not wishing to compromise sound, am wondering whether the damping factor is important.

2. Rich G

Rich G Stunt Coordinator

I asked this question before on audiogon. My understanding is that is has to do with voice coil contol ie how fast it stops at the end of a note. It is more important for woofers and I see sub amps with very high damping factors.

If you are using for a HT which will be crossed over I don't think it would be as important as other factors. I would be more interested in how a particular amp sounded as far as imaging, performance into lower impeadances, clarity, power supplies, etc.

3. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Those super high damping numbers come down drastically when you figure in speaker wire resistance.

A damping factor of 80 is fine.

-JNS

4. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Hi,
    I think these three sites all discuss the issue of an amplifier's damping factor and how a speaker and the speaker cable can impact it.
    Interesting reading and an eye-opener for me.
    Michael