Damn Yamaha and their 90Hz cutoff! (the RX-V1200)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Lai, May 1, 2002.

1. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

I got a good cash price on a RX-V1200 and intend to use it as a preamp to my Parasound 1206 THX six channel. Perhaps biwire as 80w to treble and 150w to mains.

But the damn thing has a fixed 90Hz cutoff. So that's over pretty quick for my big floorstanders.

Dammit back to Rotel and Outlaw...

T.

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    You would actually be surprised how much bass is passed even with the 90Hz crossover enabled. Take some measurements and find out where they drop off. If you need to have the mains produce more bass, why not just set them to "Large"?

Do you have a sub?

3. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Why not just set the bass output to both sub & mains and the speakers to large? Could you then not use an external EQ to set the roll off more accurately?

- Mike

4. Darryn Macdonald

Darryn Macdonald Auditioning

If you are planning on using the receiver as a preamp and already have a 6 channel amp you could put the outlaw ICBM in between the two and have an imense level of control for your bass management, this would give you all of the benefits of the yamaha 1200 and the bass management that you desire.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

If you are going to use external amps, don't ditch the idea of the receiver yet.Outlaw ICBM is one of the best, and there you'd use all speakers large and the Outlaw ICBM would do your crossovers, but you don't even need to spend that much. A good two channel crossover is fine to use. You could set your fronts to LARGE and SUB to NO and insert a crossover between the 1200 and the amplifier.

6. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Chris:

The outlaw is only USD250, what does a "good two channel crossover" cost? I looked into stereo crossovers, and half the ones I found cost as much if not more than the ICBM.

Rich B.

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of searching for a sed crossover like a Paradigm X-30 or a Mirage LFX-1. An LFX-1 could be found for $75.00-$125.00 USD used. Otherwise, if you can afford the ICBM, its a better choice anyways.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Tony- You'd give up the TA-E9000ES for the Yammie 1200? [​IMG]
    I looked into that (had a Yamaha receiver-as-a-pre/pro before my Sony), but the fixed 90 Hz crossover nixed it for me this time. (I know too much now.)
    I actually did write Yamaha about it, along with my desire for an authentic Yamaha pre/pro, but never heard anything. [​IMG]