What's new

DAMN!!!!....the Sircam virus just whacked my pc. (1 Viewer)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Now unable to run any applications.
Rebooted into safemode. McAfee found it on a complete scan but, for reasons unknown is unable to clean or delete it.
Only good thing is that there isn't jackshit on my pc, other than all the "courtesy of Napster" music, that's worth anything too me.
I think I'm just going to reformat the whole damn thing and upgrade to Windows 98.
Hell...after running this pc "as is" for over 3 years, it's getting slow just from being clogged up with excess garbage.
Anyone else get hit by this damn virus????
BTW...I'm typing this on the pc at work.
------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

Jason Reich

Stunt Coordinator
that sucks!!!!
as far as upgrading.... you may want to abort the windows 98 idea and move to 2000 or me, I just upgraded from 98 to 2000pro and the preformance is incredible! My machine runs faster, and I havent crashed it yet!!!!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hear about the virus. I've been lucky so far, never had an active virus on my computer.
I second the idea to get Win2000 instead of Win98. Win2000 is by far the best operating system that Microsoft has created, it is miles and miles ahead of Win 98.
/Mike

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Will a computer that's 3 years old be able to run Win2000?
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Derrik - go to Symantec.com - they have a downloadable utility (FixSirc.com) which will fix the registry entries altered by the Sircam worm and allow your system to function normally again.
Because Sircam is a worm and not a virus files can't be repaired, they can only be deleted. Files overwritten by the worm would have to be restored from a backup or installation CDs.
Good luck - KJP

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Post your specs, if you don't mind.
Win2K claims to run on:
133MHz or higher Pentium-class processor
64MB
2GB HD with 650MB free space minimum
single- or dual-processor systems
(from this MS Win2K website)
I would recommend using:
233Mhz Pentium or higher (preferably a P3 class processor)
256MB
20GB HD free from any earlier OS
Single- or dual-class processors is up to you. Dual class will execute faster, albeit at a slight overhead due to processor thread management. But if you need (or want!) the power, have at it, it is nice to have...
To be sure your stuff will work, check the hardware compatibility lists at:
Compatibility Lists
Hope this helps!
Mike

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Mike - once upon a time, my 300mhz PII was THE machine. Now, well...
laugh.gif

But, it's a P2, 300mhz, 128meg, 6.4gig drive, Dell.
Hmmm...didn't even think about Win2000. I remember reading that some games didn't like 2000 but, since I bought a PS2 and, have an XBox on the way, I have no need for a gaming pc.
Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I'll upgrade to 2000.
Oh yeah, one of the other casualties of war, will be all the great smut mpg's I've downloaded over the years, that will now be wiped out...DAMN!!!
wink.gif

------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

Liam S

Stunt Coordinator
Just this afternoon I got an email from someone I don't know, and it had the classic Sircam virus message body. I deleted it and scanned for viruses. Nothing found.
I'll also recommend Win2000. I switched a few weeks ago and it's so good that I'll never go back to 98 or ME. 2000 should run on your computer, but you'll want to buy another 128MB of RAM which you can get for around $10.

NathanP

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine's network server got hit by the same damn thing..
He can't open anything..
The server still works though..
Nathan

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Recently, I got hit with both sircam, and nimda. before I deleted the files, I copied all my important documents (mostly resumes, work related documents, and other such stuff) to my hotmail account, because I know hotmail scans everything sent through it. Then I reformatted. Because I don't have much on my computer, it didn't take much time at all to reformat and load my software. Probably less time and less frustration than using any fixes or patches or whatever that is available. Save it to say I now use hotmail to read ALL my email, including my POP account. I found out the problem was at my ISP servers.
------------------
I AM CANADIAN!

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
A week ago I got hit with something. My Computer loaded then all of a sudden everything froze, So I ran it in safemode and downloaded a program called AVG Anti-Virus and that found a virus and deleted and of course everything is ok now.
Sorry to hear you got hit with the virus.
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD
Thank you WILL K for the banner

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
No Sircam here. Im fighting Nimda on my 98 box.
WinXP has been fine ever since Beta 2. No virii at all.
------------------
Travis -- "Contrary to popular belief, Travis Hedger, DID NOT infact invent DVD. He was just a very enthusiastic fan!!!"

Kevin P

Screenwriter
What do you guys use for anti-virus? I use Norton Antivirus 2001, it seems to work great on my WinME box. No infections as of yet, though I have gotten Kournikova, Sircam, and Hybris worms emailed to me, I recognize them and don't open them.
In addition to detecting viruses and worms when attempting to open infected files, NAV can also scan email attachments as they are downloaded, so you're alerted to problems before you even have a chance to launch an infected attachment.
It also notifies me when new virus definitions are available for download, and I can then update with a click of the mouse. Couldn't be easier.
I also have Norton Internet Security 2001, with the firewall, but I'm not using that piece since I installed a Linux box to act as a firewall and NAT router. It logs several hundred hits from Nimda infected boxes per day, but nuttin' gets past that sucker! :)
KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks