What's new

Damn good deal on a damn good monitor - NEW LOWER PRICE (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
HOT! Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen LCD with 1920 x 1200 resolution, 1000:1 contrast, 500 cd/m2 brightness, DVI, VGA, S-Video, Composite, and Component inputs, integrated 9-in-1 card reader, 12ms response time, and 4 USB 2.0 ports for $1199 - 28% off coupon = $863.28 shipped!

See our main portal page for information.

Center column, GOT APEX deals.

I own this monitor and it rocks! This is a
pretty decent price considering it was selling
for over $1100 not too long ago.

BTW, it states the sale ends TODAY.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
it's got vga, DVI, svid, composite and component inputs, couldn't ask for more from a HDTV monitor. Heck, good enough to buy and use in the living room without the pc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No joke.

I couldn't believe it myself when I saw the
price drop again.

I own this monitor. It's fantastic!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ron...stop...feeding...my...addiction... :D

Seriously, if there weren't 2 weddings (one close friend, the other is my sister) in my near future, this puppy would be sitting in my home right now. I have the 20" Dell LCD in my office and I absolutely love the picture.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Irony: If I hadn't paid just about that same exact price ($870 or so) for my Samsung 213T LCD about a year or so ago...I'd jump on this guilt free, without any hesitation.

WOW!

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

I just got this monitor and I agree it is amazing...

A quick question: did you change any of the resolution settings or are you running it as it came? I find that at 1920x1200, text is just too small for me to read comfortably for extended periods. Changing the overall resolution seemed to make things less sharp, so I went into the advanced settings and changed the DPI setting to 125% (with the resolution still at 1920x1200). That did the trick --almost everything is still crisp but big enough for me to see without strain. The only things that aren't as sharp as before are the icons on my taskbar and Start Menu; for some reason those have some "jaggies" but nothing too bad. I wonder why those are a tad fuzzy yet everything else seems to be razor sharp.

I also found the brightness to be way too high out of the box (even at 50%). I changed it to 20%.

I'm running an nVidia G-Force 6800 video card with my Dell Dimension 8400. Any other suggestions on tweaks or calibrations for this awesome monitor? (The built-in USB ports and flash reader are a great bonus!)

Thanks

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brian,

Congrats on your purchase. Like me, you must
be LOVING this monitor. It is getting high ratings
in COMPUTER SHOPPER, PC MAGAZINE and MAXIMUM PC.

I am running the resolution at the smallest setting
as recommended by the manufacturer. So far my eyes
are taking it well.

I absolutely did have to turn the brightness down
as everything was looking washed out. This is something
that has been mentioned in every review I have read.

I actually wish someone had more tweak suggestions
for me as I have only played with the brightness and
so far, everything looks very good.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
The best thing with any of these monitors is to run them at their native resolution and to make sure your video card can handle that resolution. Brian as you noticed by turning up the DPI settings you were able to see normal text. I wish that the software that comes with the monitor would also include some auto adjusting to a standard DPI setting so that print, etc. would be so small. Playing with the brightness, contrast and color temp of the monitor will go a long way in not only giving you the best picture but also extending the life of the monitor.

I too would love to have one of these sets but I am very happy with my Dell 1901FP.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I just found the super stupendous deal on the main page of the HTF about the Dell Dimension 9100 and the 24" 2405FPW thrown in for FREE!!!! My computer totalled $1500.00 without the $100 mail in rebate. Shipping was $19.00.

Dual core 2.8GHz processor
512 Mb RAM
80GB hard drive
CD-Rom (have DVD drive already)
No speakers
Keyboard
Mouse
256 ATI X600 card
AND A 24" 2405FPW LCD flat panel monitor!!!!!

I am stoked!

I wanted something cool for my bedroom and I found it. Oh man I hope this thing looks OK when watching TV.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I've been doing some research on that monitor and found something that has me questioning my purchase.

I found that the monitor has a DVI input. The Dish Network 811 HDTV receiver has a DVI output. But the DVI connection on the monitor isn't compatible with HDCP. And I suspect that "maybe" the DVI output on the 811 receiver uses HDCP.

Can I hook this up directly to an 811 HDTV Dish Network receiver or will I have to find some way of routing the 811's signal through my computer first? Or will I have to use the component outputs on the receiver?

I'm a little bummed but still excited.

Jacob C

Second Unit
I may be wrong but I think the computer spec DVI maybe different from the home theater DVI. Since it is a computer monitor it probably has the computer spec version. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor

When you get to that I'd like to hear about it. I'm still debating on whether DVDs and non HD TV look messed up or if it's just being so close to a 24".

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
There isn't really a thing as "home theater DVI". What happens, though, is that most home theater devices require the additional protocol of HDCP when using DVI, which most computer monitors, including this Dell 24" - or the 20" for that matter - don't know and therefore won't display anything.

Otherwise DVI is DVI and basically the same cables can be used. You can also interchange the signals between DVI and HDMI with the right connectors or adapters (with the exception of sound, which DVI doesn't transport).

-Christian

Jacob C

Second Unit
So, in theory, I could run a DVI out from my computer directly to the DVI in on some high definition TV?

Kauwuane

Auditioning
I purchased this monitor about 3 weeks or so ago using one of the deals advertised here on the web site. My only complaint is that I find the window in window and side by side features to small to use for viewing an external source. So for my tv viewing, I purchased the Visiontek Xtasy Theatre 550pro TV turner card. It's considered one the top TV tuner cards on the market, I'll let you be the judge of that. Now im in computer bliss. This screen is so large, that I can work in Photoshop with my all my pallets visible and watch tv in the corner at the size I desire along with sound coming thru my Audigy sound card. I'm currently using a Dirctv receiver plugged directly into the tv card. I must admit the picture from this card isn't exactly crystal clear when sitting right in front of the monitor but from my bed, it serves me well. However, DVD's are superb. Great monitor at a great price. If you doing anything with photos on this monitor make sure to calibrate it with Spyder Pro or something similar as it is very bright out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.