What's new

Damages on FX (1 Viewer)

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

That assumes Ellen actually turns up. Considering the police never found the body of the attacker that Ellen killed, Patty was more than capable of making Ellen permanently disappear.

EDIT- Wait, I think you are saying that Patty sets Ellen up to die to further incriminate Frobisher? That's a lot more far fetched than my scenario IMO. Especially since, at the time that Patty allegedly targets Ellen, they are pretty much home free on the case anyway with the information on Fiske and Moore. Even without the videotape they've got a great case. Also, I can't imagine that Patty could insinuate to the court that Frobisher was responsible for Ellen's death without Frobisher being convicted of that first.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

She would only have to insinuate it in the press to pollute the jury pool. Voir Dire be damned, both Frobisher and his new lawyers would have known that a bell like that cannot be unrung. Besides, it would be that much more bad publicity that he didn't need. His one friend and real supporter was dead, the law firm was pushing him to settle, his wife was leaving him, a jury trial was - at best - a crapshoot. Don't forget, Patty's goal was victory for her clients on her terms, not necessarily victory in a courtroom. Anything that got Frobisher to settle at a number she thought right was a victory - Ellen's murder, the Molina tape, either was good.

Again - this is only a theory about why Ellen could have believed the Patty tried to have her killed, not necessarliy a theory about what Patty was actually up to.

Regards,

Joe

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, we're going to have to agree to disagree. I just don't see it. The show (through flashbacks) makes it clear that Ellen thinks Patty made the decision when Ellen said that she regretted what they had done to Fiske which leads me to believe that Ellen thinks it was the lynchpin that triggered Patty. If Patty wanted to off Ellen to help the case then her regret over Fisked shouldn't have mattered at all.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Plus, isn't one of the episodes named "Do you regret what we have done" (or something along those lines)?

I thought it was obvious that from Ellen's POV, it was Patty who positioned Ellen to be in Patty's apartment, and then we finally understand all those scenes of anguish of Patty on the beach when she realized that she put the hit on Ellen and would have to live with it, and combine that with the still-birth day of her own daughter 35 years ago, it was almost too much for her to bear.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Who is the actor who played the SEC guy Moore? I have searched this on IMDB but they do not list his character in the episode cast section, at least not yet.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
So that's why, they only listed as "Executive" not the characters name.

Thanks, and it was Sopranos I remembered him from. I thought so, but I thought he was one of the mob guys.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Peter Reigert is a terrific character actor, better known for comedy than drama, so it was fun to watch him playing a heavy. Two of my favorite Reigert performances are in Crossing Delancey (opposite Amy Irving) and as the police detective in The Mask. ("Those pyjamas are a crime...")

Regards,

Joe

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Not quite: Ellen being fresh out of law school would be about 26, Patty's daughter would have been 35. But I do agree that Patty may have come to seen Ellen as the daughter she wanted and didn't have, in sharp contrast to her disappointing son.

As for what Julia Hewes is about? My guess is somehow Frobisher was involved, maybe even that infamous Arlington accident involved Patty as well, but no one knows (which I agree is odd, but still possible -- maybe she was sideswiped on the way, when braking hard Patty hit the steering wheel and her baby was injured in vitro). Note that 1972 is 35 years ago, same as the Arlington accident. The cemetery is a long-ish drive from New York, I know Arlington is on the outskirts of DC and if I'm not mistaken it is possible to drive from NY to DC in half a day?

Which would tie in to Frobisher's repeated questioning Patty "why do you hate me so much?"

And isn't it ironic that Ellen's nominal reason for staying with Hewes & Associates no longer holds anyway, since (I assume) Frobisher is lying dead on "his land" and even if Ellen ties him to David's murder, it's all over anyway?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i just caught up all the way from the pilot through the end in the last few days@night and WOW!!!! it's a "page-turner" or "disc-flipper" whatever the phrase is. totally awesome acting, writing, everything =D.

makes best use of flash backward, forward, present than lost ;).

i know they re-ordered 26 eps but doesn't glen close have a ton of movie opportunities she'd rather do? maybe she'll die in the next coupla seasons making room for the rest of the fine actors.

re: ray, i knew he had a 'repressed feelings' for greg the moment i heard about the connection between the two anad frob didn't know about it ;).

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I'm right there with you, JediFonger, except I still have 3 more episodes to go (11-13). Those will get polished off today, though. Very enjoyable, and something I've only watched due to the comments in this thread back when the show was originally airing.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
it gets better and better and better every single episode you watch, quite rare these days.

but i do agree w/the makers of 24, it is definitely the GOLDEN age of television. there's never been so many awesome TV series on at the same time as right now. the best work is now done on TV instead of film.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I just finished watching season 1 on DVD, and now that I finally got FX on my satellite dish, I can and look forward to follow season 2 on FX.

Enjoyed the series very much. As YiFeng would say, it is indeed a disc-flipper. When assuming it's going to be one thing, it ends up being another, which is what makes it so great. Enjoyed seeing Danson as the villain.

Never really thought of Julia Hewes and Arlington connection, but I guess that is for future seasons.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I haven't seen any of the first season since it aired, but I had the impression the cemetary was in either Long Island or New England. OTOH you are right that NY to DC is no more than a longish drive, much less than half a day. At about 240 miles the trip takes 4 or 5 hours depending on traffic, weather, and how heavy a foot you have. ;) You could make the round-trip in half a day if you have the stamina for all that driving, or someone to share it with.

I'm looking forward to the return of the show.

Regards,

Joe

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Quite an impressive cast lined up for season two. In addition to the returns of Close, Danson and Tate Donovan, they've added William Hurt, Marcia Gay Harden & Timothy Olyphant.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I assume the cemetery is outside of NY state, since it showed Patty driving and passing a "you are leaving New York State" sign, or something like that. Too bad I can't check since I already mailed off the DVD.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'd love to get takes from fans of this series who are also fans of lost. i really really luved their use of flash backwards and forward and finally convergence in that one single scene. it was totally brilliant. we haven't seen even lost pulling somn like that.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Just finished S1 and it was pretty damn great, I thought it started out great from episode 1. I don't know why I didn't watch this when it aired the originaly, I watched it on Netflix Insta, my wife and I had to pace ourselves so we didn't devour the season too quickly. I loved all the characters. I'm noit sure why Patty tried to have Ellen killed but as others have said, because she felt they went to far is the only reason I can think of. Maybe I'll learn more in S2. I didn't even put the 2 and 2 together when we see Ellen run out of Patty's place all bloody and Frobishers guys getting ready to get out of the car when they see her run out of the building until later in the episode. So what season does Damages lose steam?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Jeremiah

So what season does Damages lose steam?

Season 2 is very good. Season 3 it starts to lose a little bit, but still pretty good. Season 4 it completely falls off a cliff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks