Damaged Voice Coil Dust Covers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Harold A, Jul 5, 2001.

1. Harold A

Harold A Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair do Dahlquist PDQ-8307s. I went on vacation and the person that I had watching my house has a 2 yr old son and well he decided to push the dust covers in. There is no damage to the driver itself. They seem to sound OK, not as good as I remember but that could just be in my head since I know they are damaged. Do the dents in the dust covers effect sound qaulity?
    Also, if so can anyone recomend a good 8" woofer and 5 1/4" midrange that might mate well with the tweeter.
    Thanks
    Harold

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Harold,
    A vacuum cleaner hose can usually do the trick. A dent in the dust cover won’t affect the sound, but it is indeed an annoyance to those of us who take pride in our systems.
    If you contact Dahlquist I’m certain they can sell you some identical service replacements for your drivers.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

If somebody poked my dust covers in it would probably make me go insane that sort of stuff really bugs me. [​IMG]

4. Harold A

Harold A Stunt Coordinator

Wayne,
    There is one problem. Dahlquist is now out of buisness. They were owned by Audiosphere which I can not find a contact number for.
    I don't mind replacing the drivers. I have built a Sealed Shiva sub so am not timid about taking them apart. The problem is matching the tweeter and then the cross-over. I am running them bi-amped through a Carver AV-705x if that matters. Also, I can not accsess the tweeter at all. Luckily it has a built in cover or else I would really be in trouble.
    I knew I should have put the grills back on, Oh well I guess they will go back on now so I don't have to look at my poor drivers.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Harold,
    If the vacuum cleaner won't do the trick, try posting your question on the Hardware forum, and you will get lots of responses.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Harold,
    The same thing happened to my ACI Emeralds when my 4-year-old niece wasn't being supervised for a few minutes! I couldn't get the vacuum cleaner trick to work either (and it is a very powerful one). So I got one of my wife's small sewing needles, stuck it through the center of the dust caps and pulled out at an angle to pull the dust cap back out. I had to do this 2-3 times to get it all the way out.
    It may not be the most cosmetically proper way to do it and it's definitely a last resort, but it works. Incidentally, unless you're within 2-3 inches from the dust cap you cannot see the pin hole. Luckily, ACI uses Vifa drivers and I was able to order a replacement pair just for sanity's sake!
    Brian
    ------------------