Damaged tweeter? Need advice...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ChrisDixon, Jan 11, 2004.

1. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

I have a pair of Studio 60 v2 speakers that I've owned for about six months or so. Recently, I noticed that something doesn't sound quite right. The right speaker seemed to lose some of its imaging and high end. It wasn't gone completely, just a bit muted. I mainly notice it when listening to music: there just seemed to be something missing. First, I swtiched the left and right speaker. The problem moved with the speaker (now the left speaker sounded incomplete). Next, I swapped the tweeters themselves. Again, the problem moved with the tweeter, so I did some measurements. I used some higher frequency test tones with an SPL meeter just a few inches away from the tweeter. The "muted" tweeter did play the high sine waves and sounded ok to me, but came in about 3-4 dbs lower than the good one. I don't think the tweeter is completely blown, because it still plays the higher frequencies, but something doesn't sound right (even the receiver's noise test tones sound a bit lower on the one speaker).

Does anyone have a possible explanation or another test that I could do. I'm afraid that if I take it into the store (which is an hour and a half away), it will be very hard to demonstrate such a subtle problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris

2. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Good luck dealing with Paradigm, and their dealers. Lack of customer service when the tweeter in my CC-350 blew excluded Paradigm as a possibility when I recently upgraded my speaker system!!

And that is a shame considering they make a fine product!!

3. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

bump for the Monday crowd...

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

You've already discovered the tweeter is faulty. You should be able to get it replaced.

Good luck.

Oh and yes the tweeter is "blown". If you can keep the faulty tweeter to play with after it is replaced you could take it apart and see the damage to the voice coil.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My friend blew one of his tweeters in his 20s and though they were about 1 YEAR out of warranty, our local dealer still replaced them free of charge. If you have a good dealer, you should have no problems getting it replaced.

6. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

The irony? I already had this tweeter replaced once right after I got the speaker since it had a small dent in the dome. That's why I wanted to be absolutely sure that was dammaged since they may be skeptical if I go for another replacement.

Chris

7. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

chris,

You may want to keep your volume down just a tad as turning it up too loud is the number one reason for damaged tweeters.